Forum ranks must go

Laetizia Coronet

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1595 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Reminder for those who may be interested in:

The previous system had a JIRA requesting removal the system of points ( https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/WEB-1498 ).

In this new system, there is a JIRA requesting to be removed the "Ranks" and their permission to act in one way or another on the forums according to your rank.

Void Singer wrote in part:

actually I'm looking at this thread and seeing the two highest ranked people here (Irene, who is also the higest ranked resident I've seen, and Suella) also happen to recognized by pretty much every regular as being some of the most helpful people ever...... Prok rates a mere member (and is sometimes quite helpful despite the crazy conspiracy theories), and I'm not sure who MP is, but I also note that Cerise Sorbet, another well known and highly active person helping others has risen quickly too.

Yeah, I don't think there's much cause for complaint about who currently holds which roles.  On the other hand, I still don't believe that making the roles visible has net positive effect.  Too much potential for resentment drahma.  And I just don't buy the notion that newbies are going to give extra weight to pink Bobo dolls; mostly, they're going to try to follow the advice of whichever post they can actually understand.  As for who the Lindens will listen to: I hope Cerise doesn't need a title to remind them who she is and what she's done.

All in all, however, I agree with (I think it was) Medhue, who said it's just not a big enough deal to warrant any effort to remove roles.  They're kind of silly, but in the cosmic scheme of things, not worth getting very exercised about.

Porky Gorky wrote:

I've looked at some other Lithium based forums on the net and it would seem that we are not the only ones that are apposed to being ranked and rewarded like children. I have to wonder how much research LL actually did before adopting this system as the ranking of users has historically been apposed by other Lithium forum participants.

I think that corporations generally have looked for ways to "reward" people in ways that don't cost any real money.  When I think of ranks and cooties, it reminds of me how I felt after finishing a project from hell... and my boss talked about how "great" it would be to give all of us a t-shirt or mug as thanks.

Lexie Linden wrote:

@Cato: "Hand on heart" the moderators on these forums are not secret residents.  They are experienced moderators. ~ Lexie

Thanks for clearing that up officially Lexie - it will be one less 'conspiracy theory' that we will have to listen to innuendos about. (I hope).

Ossian wrote:

I think that corporations generally have looked for ways to "reward" people in ways that don't cost any real money.  When I think of ranks and cooties, it reminds of me how I felt after finishing a project from hell... and my boss talked about how "great" it would be to give all of us a t-shirt or mug as thanks.

It's like giving a dog a picture of a biscuit.  It might look good, but it means nothing.

@Lexie: Thank you for your prompt public assurance. I have had a couple of less than satisfactory encounters with the moderators already, but I am sure that their cultural understandng and sense of proportion will improve in time. I certainly hope so, in the absence of a sarcasm smily.

Deltango Vale wrote:

There are some obvious mismatches between posters and their 'rank', which makes me question the entire ranking structure. Best to get rid of it. Just show our SL birthdate, post count etc..

Good idea, especially since the SPAMMER is an Honored Resident :smileysurprised: good Grief Charlie Brown.:smileywink:

Deltango Vale wrote:

There are some obvious mismatches between posters and their 'rank', which makes me question the entire ranking structure. Best to get rid of it. Just show our
SL birthdate
, post count etc..

(This has probably been raised before in other threads, but) Yeah: WTF is the point of the "Registered" date?  It seems to be the date on which we first subjected ourselves to the Jive clusterforums.  That's hardly something to commemorate.

Qie Niangao wrote:

Deltango Vale wrote:

There are some obvious mismatches between posters and their 'rank', which makes me question the entire ranking structure. Best to get rid of it. Just show our
SL birthdate
, post count etc..

(This has probably been raised before in other threads, but) Yeah: WTF is the point of the "Registered" date?  It seems to be the date on which we first subjected ourselves to the Jive clusterforums.  That's hardly something to commemorate.

QFE!  I couldn't agree more.

what would be cool, is to add the number of hours spend by each resident in-world on the badge, a fair solution that could solve the ranking system issue immediately (what is more contributive to the grid, forum posting or in-world activity?). Another idea would be to have an online indicator on our badges, always handy if u want to contact someone in-world *meows*

Wildcat Furse wrote:

what would be cool, is to add the number of hours spend by each resident in-world on the badge, a fair solution that could solve the ranking system issue immediately (what is more contributive to the grid, forum posting or in-world activity?). Another idea would be to have an online indicator on our badges, always handy if u want to contact someone in-world *meows*

Listing the number of hours an account was left logged in with avatar firmly attached to a camping chair won't provide any better indication of the value of one's input that the current silly system.

I say let the quality of one's posts, not any other false metric, be used to determine the quality of one's posts.  Anything else is just pointless.

(Qie Niangao wrote:

This has probably been raised before in other threads, but) Yeah: WTF is the point of the "Registered" date?  It seems to be the date on which we first subjected ourselves to the Jive clusterforums.  That's hardly something to commemorate.

actually, I think it DOES show the inworld born dates for new avatars doesn't it? it's just that we're all ancient and existed before the system began =)

• 8 years later...
On 3/5/2011 at 4:16 AM, Laetizia Coronet said:

I am wondering what the good people at Linden Lab think we are. Little kids longing for a pat on the back? Workfloor drones, content with an automated (and therefore meaningless) recognition from Management?

In my spare time I do not wish to be confronted with low level management trickery like 'ranks', complete with that phoney phrase "As the result of your contributions to the community, you have earned a new rank." No, I have "earned" a new rank because this forum is programmed like that. Pull the other one.

Some may have the impression that Lexie has actually read your contributions and decided to bump you up. That is, however, not how it works. But people will still feel entitled, entirely without justification, just because they like to believe that they have really achieved something, and they have really been 'recognized'.

I've seen that when I was a Mentor. If ever a group of people tried to boss around other people on the basis of a wholly unjustified sense of superiority, it was them. Me too - I'll be the first to admit that.

Ranks should go. I recognize no rank whatsoever, noone has any kind of authority over me whatsoever, and I certainly do not wish to exert any authority over others. If ranks are not removed from this forum, I demand the right to opt out on the grounds of incompatibility with my innermost convictions.

we are ranked? I wonder what mine is.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1595 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.