Forum ranks must go

Laetizia Coronet

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1573 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 12/1/2019 at 2:54 PM, Erwin Solo said:

I think that those with the title Advisor are better able to gain the ear of the moderators.

I am an advisor and I haven't noticed any difference.

Those titles are part of an old system that was abandoned long ago and they have no meaning or significance whatsoever today. Even in the old pre 2017 forum they didn't really mean much. I think newcomers weren't allowed to post pictures back then but once you reached the regular forum member level - after a dozen or so posts - there was no difference.

Keep in mind that Linden Lab did not program the forum, they use a standard commercial software package. I don't think they even host the forums themselves. Ranks are a standard feature many internet forums need or at least want and disabling it is more bother than it's worth. That's all there's to it.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/5/2011 at 6:23 AM, Qie Niangao said:

These ranks are very strange things anyway.  They "unlock" some privileges that, at the higher levels, seem almost completely unrelated to the activities that elevate those ranks.

I guess I can imagine that posting YouTube videos might be something to gateway based on such automatic metrics as number of posts, login time, etc.  But being able to edit Knowledge Base articles?  I find it very difficult to believe that such permissions are granted automatically anyway; they certainly shouldn't be.

As an incentive to contributions, I don't think the visible role titles serve much purpose.  Indeed, it seems to me that they motivate exactly the sort of folks one wouldn't really want to have elevated permissions.

Some sort of "honorifics" ( "awards", "badges", ...) have proven useful for promoting positive contributions in crowd-sourced content sites such as Foursquare or even Stack Overflow.  And there need to be permission gateways here.  The current role structure, however, combine those two objectives in a way that seems unlikely to satisfy either of them.

I didn't realize there were ranks OR that as you got higher they "unlocked privileges".

Where can you see this?

I guess Laetizia isn't liking her rank then.

19 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I didn't realize there were ranks OR that as you got higher they "unlocked privileges".

Where can you see this?

I guess Laetizia isn't liking her rank then.

you quote something from 8 years ago ... that was the old forum where it ..in a far far past, indeed was possible to add info to KB articles.
With the new forum you get ranks for posts .. meaning...ehm nothing  :)
There are no special privileges.
(the only privilege is when you got more than 500 post you can add a personal line under your pic at your posts. .. sort of 2 nd added signature

• Thanks 1

lol after almost 13 years I never once paid much attention to the ranks or any of the forums details, i'm kind of blow away by the deep hate of them by others and out of curiosity I asked a 15 different  friends who been long term sim owning creative avatars on SL and their opinion on the subject (im well known for pointless IMs)  and overwhelmingly the consensus was......... " who cares about the forums?  it's just full of crybabies and trolls, I stopped using those years ago." I use the forums for problem solving and entertainment I go years without posting only reading.

But back to my opinion of ranks, ranks represent nothing more then board people who post alot on a set of forums. I have been helped more by low ranked forums users then hight and have been abused by people with high ranks and people who care about that stuff just seem to be more of a forum nazi then a help user.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, wrable Amat said:

lol after almost 13 years I never once paid much attention to the ranks or any of the forums details, i'm kind of blow away by the deep hate of them by others and out of curiosity I asked a 15 different  friends who been long term sim owning creative avatars on SL and their opinion on the subject (im well known for pointless IMs)  and overwhelmingly the consensus was......... " who cares about the forums?  it's just full of crybabies and trolls, I stopped using those years ago." I use the forums for problem solving and entertainment I go years without posting only reading.

But back to my opinion of ranks, ranks represent nothing more then board people who post alot on a set of forums. I have been helped more by low ranked forums users then hight and have been abused by people with high ranks and people who care about that stuff just seem to be more of a forum nazi then a help user.

Not everyone is made for every kind of forum. I signed up for maybe 10 to 20 forums since i roam the internet. They are about sewing, low carb diet, cardio sports, and so on. While i barely or never posted in that forums, i have over 1K posts in the SL forum.
If your friends dont know what to talk about here, or if they they feel offended, they might be better off at the sewing forums. Its all about personal preference.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wrable Amat said:

No they just don't visit, imagen  1000 of your post never seen or cared about their lives must have an empty void.

As you already stated, your creative long term sim owner friends had issues not being treated well here, not me.
So, better use your time to care about them. They seem to have a void, if the response to your survey was so overwhelming.
Cheer up :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

There aren't, execpt - come to think of it - once you've reached the "Advanced member" rank you can create your own custom title to show up beside your posts.

As far as I know, there has never been any "privileges" worth mentioning associated with the "higher" ranks.

3 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Those titles are part of an old system that was abandoned long ago and they have no meaning or signifcance whatsoever today. Even in the old pre 2017 forum they didn't really mean much.

Thank you for the information.  In most of life it would be odd to have something so prevalent be meaningless, but prevalent and meaningless are just two sides of the same coin in the general discussion forum 😊

2 hours ago, wrable Amat said:

Indeed.  I am in the process of developing the same opinion independently. 

2 hours ago, wrable Amat said:

Sounds more like your "friends" have been the crybabies on the forum and were handled accordingly.

I have no recollection of this 2011 thread nor of the post Prokofy found from back then where I apparently said:

On 3/5/2011 at 6:23 AM, Qie Niangao said:

I guess I can imagine that posting YouTube videos might be something to gateway based on such automatic metrics as number of posts, login time, etc.  But being able to edit Knowledge Base articles?  I find it very difficult to believe that such permissions are granted automatically anyway; they certainly shouldn't be.

So those two things I just highlighted must have been among the special "role" privileges because I really can't imagine dreaming them up on my own.

Just to confirm that there was something based on those roles, there was a jira about them that mentioned:

The new system of Forums and SL Answers has ROLES & RANKS. "Ranks/Roles to recognize users who contribute content valued by the community. When a person first logs into the community website, they receive the New Resident rank. As they spend time as active participants, their rank will change. The higher the rank, the more exacting the requirements. Higher ranks in a community mean additional permissions or features may become available to you.

Unfortunately when I searched the Wayback Machine I couldn't find anything specific (which doesn't mean it's not there) but I did find this page archived that included:

• Contribution-Based Roles: You will notice that each person in Second Life has a role, or rank, based on his or her contributions to the platform. The roles start at Resident and go up to Helper and with each rank comes more capabilities. So, keep those contributions coming and watch your community platform ranking rise.

(for whatever any of that is worth)

8 hours ago, wrable Amat said:

You and your friends would never have survived on the original forums or even the early SciFi Channel forums. This place is tame compared to those. That's not an attack on you and your friends. It's just stating the truth. 

Ranks have nothing to do with how much knowledge one has concerning SL. Neither does post count. Case in point, I barely posted on the early SL forums and didn't post later iterations for many years. It wasn't until last year that I started posting with any regularity.

See also:

c00.png

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1573 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.