Off topic not viewable to the public.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 572 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi Suspiria--in fact Keli noticed that earlier and there's a thread about it: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Off-Topic/Invisible-to-visitors/td-p/712661

I kind of liked the idea. I mean, we are whackos. Why let potential new SL residents see the kind of maniacs they might have to deal with? We don't want to be responsible for scaring people away.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Hi Suspiria--in fact Keli noticed that earlier and there's a thread about it:

I kind of liked the idea. I mean, we
are
whackos. Why let potential new SL residents see the kind of maniacs they might have to deal with? We don't want to be responsible for scaring people away.

Hi Dillon,

I agree with you. It's best out of sight out of mind. :smileysurprised:

PS After Storm duplicated the vanity thread I figured duplicating threads was the new fad...:smileyvery-happy:

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

Hi Dillon,

PS After Storm duplicated the vanity thread I figured duplicating threads was the new fad...:smileyvery-happy:

Laugh. Hey, the important thing about that is it got moved out of Off Topic. It might even be acceptable to do picture threads. How cool is that?

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

Hi Dillon,

Laugh. Hey, the important thing about that is it got moved out of Off Topic. It might even be
acceptable
to do picture threads. How cool is that?

i_agree.gif

I'm thinking that pic threads won't be deleted by AR abusers any longer....sounds cool to me.

well, it goes hand in hand with the fact that forums are not on the dashboard anymore.... I used to love logging in to the dashboard and seeing what people were talking about - now nothing but grid status , "events" and blogs.  It's the "dumbing" down of sl, our comments and concerns are relegated to an obscure, hard to navigate forum hidden in the community button at the top.  Us dedicated souls found it but how many new visitors will find the forums, let alone the "off topic" section?

I miss seeing it on the dashboard too.  I never would have joined in the forums if it were not for their presence on the dashboard.  And I know I am not the only one.  Consider that for every person who posts there are umpteen people who just lurk....  I know some of my sl friends that do not post in the forums commented to me about seeing my name on the dashboard.  And now that venue of communication is gone.:smileysad:

kattatonia Wickentower wrote:

I miss seeing it on the dashboard too.  I never would have joined in the forums if it were not for their presence on the dashboard.  And I know I am not the only one.  Consider that for every person who posts there are umpteen people who just lurk....  I know some of my sl friends that do not post in the forums commented to me about seeing my name on the dashboard.  And now that venue of communication is gone.:smileysad:

On the Up side... I have not seen one S P A M thread yet [crosses appendages]:smileywink:

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

I noticed you cannot view this off topic section unless you're logged in. That coupled with Lexie's post makes this forum ummmm....yea...

I think it is an excellent compromise.  We asked for a place and LL has given it to us. 

@Kattatonia, I probably would never have known about the forums if not for the dashboard either. It was that frequent visible reminder that kept drawing me in. I'd see topics listed that interested me, or clearly popular topics that kept showing up over and over. I didn't seek the forum. It drew me in through its presence on the dashboard.I'd wager that's the case for many.

@Argus, I noticed the no spam too!  /me crosses fingers, arms, toes, and eyes that it stays that way

@Venus, I agree, it's the perfect compromise.

kattatonia Wickentower wrote:

I miss seeing it on the dashboard too.  I never would have joined in the forums if it were not for their presence on the dashboard.  And I know I am not the only one. 
Consider that for every person who posts there are umpteen people who just lurk.... 
I know some of my sl friends that do not post in the forums commented to me about seeing my name on the dashboard.  And now that venue of communication is gone.:smileysad:

Yeah, I pretty much just lurk, hardly post and therefore never really log in.  Imagine my confusion seeing that post about an Off Topic being added, run over to the main forums page and..... no off topic.  For a few minutes I thought it was some terrible joke until I realized that I should try signing in...  :smileysurprised:  Maaaan, what is with these smileys?

Consequently, I never really noticed the forums thing on the dashboard, and actually found teh forum because of some issue or other that I had at one point and figured surely SL has a forum.  Everything does these days!

Dilbert Dilweg wrote:

Probably on purpose to slow the drama train down and negativity

Those who wish to log in to read this forum can do so (assuming they meet whatever criteria LL may/may not have imposed).  I think the enhanced moderation will do more to reduce 'negativity'  than anything else.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

are
whackos. Why let potential new SL residents see the kind of maniacs they might have to deal with? We don't want to be responsible for scaring people away.

Personally, I think people should know EXACTLY what they are in for with Second Life.  lol  Let them make informed choices when picking what virtual world to use.  :smileywink:

Burnman Bedlam wrote:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

are

Personally, I think people should know EXACTLY what they are in for with Second Life.  lol  Let them make informed choices when picking what virtual world to use.  :smileywink:

Burnman, I don't disagree, however the old GD forum had a few people embarked on what seemed like endless (and arcane) feuds.  Keeping the worst ones in their own teensy out of the way sandbox, seems to be a decent compromise.   

Burnman Bedlam wrote:

If they wish to research before trying, yes.  There are several other non-SL sanctioned forums available for potential residents (and current ones) to view.  They need not rely upon the company line.  I think when one visits any company site you are likely to see the image they wish to convey.  Nothing wrong with that.  Just understand it is happening.

Ok wow.. I thought I was loosing my mind (not a long journey by any means)..

I am logged in to my dashboard... Click community.. forums... Start browsing (like I do every day).. and for the life of me cannot find the new *off topic* section... wtf?  I think oh no did they change their mind and pull it already? After such a short life span in the *new* forum world?  I search and search.. even try key word search for *off topic* and still no where to be found... I end up in some other topic and am about to post a reply and what happens when I try?

Yes.. I have to log in AGAIN.. and when I do.. BAM.. there it is.. *off topic* section... geesh.. Thanks  to the PTB for making it a bit of a scavenger hunt to find... but hey.. you made me use my brain just a bit more than I wanted to today.. so really .. thanks!

Wiki

• 11 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 572 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.