Kinect to SL bvh files

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3589 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It's all very interesting, but the real question is, "Is it actually better to use the kinect, then the cameras you used before?". My tests kinda say no, but it is still early. Definitely more convenient, but if the quality is not better, convenience means nothing.

Wow. Very interesing! I have a Kinect on my xbox but it might be time to stick it on my computer too! And the Kinect is different from cameras in that it projects a field of infrared dots into the play area which are picked up by it's infrared camera. It's the interaction of your body against those dots that make it detect position and motion. I don't know if thats general knowledge. I was researching it a lot before I bought it. Also, no adult should play Kinectimals.

• 3 weeks later...

Govi wrote:

If the quality is the same, convenience is everything.

Well, I'll be getting the kinects soon, as my mocap system now supports it, but I already kinda know that it will not be as good as my 4 cameras that surround me. Mostly from other videos, but even theoretically. If the camera is blocked and can't see the object it is trying to capture the motion of, then it will not record that data acurately. So, If I turn away from the camera, and do something with my hands, with my back to the camera, it can't see what my arms are doing. If I make a spin kick, and record the motion at 60 fps, then I'll have multiple sets of 10 or more frames with bad data on mostly the arms, but could also be some leg problems.

Ok, but for anything facing the camera and not turning around, it will probably work great. I'll see when I get it. I just have not had time to record alot of motion capture lately because of a different project. That project will be done soon, and my local meijers has a few kinects there. I might even get Xbox360, as my son will be pissed if I just get the kinects, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

That is true Medhue, and this is the reason I am currently experimenting with synching two Kinects together.

However, many anims can be done with a single Kinect, then the missing or obscured hands/arms etc can be put in manually with QAnimator or any other bvh editor. The single Kinect can typically capture 80%+ of complex motion, saving a great deal of time if it was to be done in a motion editor alone, and can get close to 100% for simpler forward or backward facing type animations.

Hope your experiments go OK.

Rock

PS Updated article here:

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Rock Vacirca wrote:

That is true Medhue, and this is the reason I am currently experimenting with synching two Kinects together.

Yeah, I've had it for long enough to give kinect a good test. It was super easy to set up, but after the first few mocaps that I made with it, I was totally wishing I had at least 2 kinects. That will be here soon enough.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanx for the tutorial. I'm trying to follow step by step, and add some comments on your blog ;-)

I asked on the xbox forum about the cable for my kinect (I bought it with xbox, so don't have USB connector) and told me to be careful about loosing original drives and breaking kinect for xbox. No risk on that, right? ^^'
Still waiting to have my USB connector, so didn't install everything yet :P

ops, and OpenNI Alpha Build for Windows v1.0.0.23 link is not active ^^'

• 3 months later...

http://codelaboratories.com/downloads/

This links to the drivers main download page. I've been playing with the kinect for a bit now and seem to be getting decent results. For those having issues with feet sliding in poser, if you are using this, try out bvh_constraint script you can find on daz3d it does cost 15$ the last time I looked but might have changed as I got it a few years ago.. Will help alot on those feet slides on your animation. You can also do this pretty easy in motionbuilder using the KEY AT TIME feature. I'm not as familure with motionbuilder yet, still learing how to use it. Hope this helps.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3589 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.