Premium v Basic membershiop

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3368 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Having been a Resident for 5 years (second tour!)  my time to spend on SL is now limited by other interests

However I am extremely annoyed that if I revert to Basic then I lose land that I legally

purchased via auction for L$3,500 i think.      .While I will keep the 12,000 odd items in my inventory it seems

I (and any one else whose RL time is important,)     will  lose the major item 4096 m  of   land.   This unfair policy

should bde changed.

You did not purchase the land - you pay tier on it because mainland is always leased from Linden Lab - you rent. Your lease with Linden Lab requires active Premium membership as a condition (private rentals do not have this condition).

See below:-

:

When you have land in Second Life, you're actually
renting storage/server space
at Linden Lab. Each piece of land takes up a certain amount of dedicated storage space - the more land, the more space. So, it's like
renting
a hard drive.

No Premium, no lease. The end.

Unfair or not is not the point. The fact is Mainland holdings are for Premium members. Period. If you can afford about 12 USD a month to keep your land, go ahead, regardless of how much time you can spend in SL. 

Otherwise, downgrade to basic (and yes, you will have to give up your parcel, but SELL IT first!). You will always be able to rent from a private owner when you want to, as most of them do not require a premium account.

Magadski Adamski wrote:

Having been a Resident for 5 years (second tour!)  my time to spend on SL is now limited by other interests

However I am extremely annoyed that if I revert to Basic then I lose land that I legally

purchased via auction for L$3,500 i think.      .While I will keep the 12,000 odd items in my inventory it seems

I (and any one else whose RL time is important,)     will  lose the major item 4096 m  of   land.   This unfair policy

should bde changed.

Try the same argument with your RL local tax assessor about how unfair it is for you to pay property taxes and see how far you get.

Magadski Adamski wrote:

should bde changed.

I think you do not understand a single bit about land.

It is a bit surprising that you weren't aware that Mainland can only be owned (or rather leased, as Freya pointed out) by Premium members, but it is true and has been for a very long time.

As Val suggested, you should make every effort to sell your land before you revert back to basic, so you can at least reap some L$ from it. There are lots of non-mainland places to live, many of them cost less than the $25/mo Tier on a mainland 4096. Timing matters, too: if you sell your land by a certain date you can make sure you don't get charged an extra tier payment. You'll need to study up on the rules for mainland tier to figure that out, but for $25.00 it's worth a few minutes of  your time.

Magadski Adamski wrote:

should bde changed.

So do you suggest LL should do instead? Should residents be allowed to take Premium membership, buy land, drop Premium and keep their land? With or without paying tier?

i agree with OP

i would like about 10 or 12 sims please. For free forever more

then I invite all my fav creatives to come and live with me for free as well. Like forever. Well not quite free bc they have to give me whatever stuff I want instead of rent

is no biggie for them to do that bc they were going to make it anyways

apparently. i think. maybe. somehow

(:

+

but

if OP is saying that they would like to be able to hold on to their mainland parcel without being Premium and can just pay the Tiers, then I agree with that even more

irihapeti wrote:

i agree with OP

i would like about 10 or 12 sims please. For free forever more

then I invite all my fav creatives to come and live with me for free as well. Like forever. Well not quite free bc they have to give me whatever stuff I want instead of rent

is no biggie for them to do that bc they were going to make it anyways

apparently. i think. maybe. somehow

(:

+

but

if OP is saying that they would like to be able to hold on to their mainland parcel without being Premium and can just pay the Tiers, then I agree with that even more

Do you have a plan for me to rent FOR FREE forever? Either SL or RL? IM me, I'm interested. :P Or, you can pay me too, i accept CC, Paypal, wire fransfers and checks too. :D

The policy on the mainland has always been the way it is, so when you bought the land you knew you had to be premium to own it.  You also had and still have the ability to sell it before going basic. 

SL land is valued according to the market conditions at the time of the sale just like RL land.  If you don't get the amount you paid for it you take a loss.  You may think that it is unfair that you must take a loss.  However if you get more than you paid I doubt you will give the difference to LL.

Even if you abandon it, it is still not a huge loss.  If you paid $3500L for it that is $14.11US.  If you divide that by the number of years you have owned it, you will see that it actually a very small price to pay for entertainment for a year.

Magadski, if you are debating about losing that mainland parcel or not, I would suggest to let it go if you are needing to downgrade to the Basic Membership.

Unless there is an absolute necessity to hold on to it, you will lose a lot more money than L$3500 in the long run if you keep it and the Premium Membership. Someone in this thread suggested to sell it first before you downgrade. That is a good suggestion but would add that I would try to sell it up until the point prior to the expiration of your current cycle in your Premium Membership. This would ensure you don't lose more money if you are tight financially. Finally, as someone else also mentioned, there are indeed plenty of other nice lands available (even with the same size that you have)  that you can rent with a Basic Membership.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3368 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.