How can I get better clothes if im new?

Monecka

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2711 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, i started sl about a month ago, but just recently logged back on to give it another try.My avatar has no lindens so i cant afford to buy clothes and especially shoes i barely have no shoes.I would love to get some advice from more experienced sl players.My avatar name is Monecka Resident.Im looking forward to help :robothappy:

Monecka a great place to look for free clothes is the marketplace you can search for clothes and other avatar apparel you can sort the relevance by price lowest first often designers give away some amazing clothes for nothing or there are people re-selling the same business in a box re-seller clothes that have been on the grid over 3/4years 
another way to get free clothes especially if you don't know any stores that are offering them is to join a Midnight Mania or Lucky Chair group if you haven't come across midnight mania before it is a board that you 'slap' that has a certain target if the board reaches the desired target by midnight secondlife time you win the prize on offer with lucky chairs you can sit and win a prize if the first letter of your name or an ? (meaning anyone can win) is displayed 

Howdy, Monecka

There are a couple of really good Freebie stores in SL that have massive amounts of free clothing, skins, hair, etc.  I went there a few days ago to check and I was able to "buy" something so it doesn't matter how old you are. (some places have a 30 day age limit to get the free stuff)

If you like, I will send you a couple of landmarks inworld so you can go have a look. :smileyhappy:

Go to Wetherby's on the 5th Avenue Estate.  Join the group and you get a free top quality, high fashion dress every day throughout the year.  Add a few Lindens to your account and purchase the matching shoes, jewelry and accessories.  Wednesday's are double dip days with two free dresses.  Some clothes are available for men too. Clothes range from funky short baby dolls, to business attire, to cocktail dresses and gowns.  There is something for everyone at Wetherby's!

SL users have many, many personal blogs and websites. There are a number of blogs on the web that focus on quality free clothing items (including shoes). Merchants provide these items in world as a method of attracting customers and potential customers (May you have many lindens in the future) to their stores. They also provide Group gifts to people that are in their store Groups.

Try a Google search for Second Life Hunts as a start to see what is out there. 

Welcome to SL, Monecka.
The place can be daunting at first but I hope you stay and get familiar with the place.

If you have not heard about hunts, you should try a few.  Basically a hunt is a sort of game where you go to various stores and look for a hidden object.  The hidden object has a prize inside plus a LM to the next store.  One hunt I am currently doing is the Steam Hunt with a  Victorian and Steampunk theme.  There are just short of 200 stores in the hunt.  Going through one of these hunts will give you a lot of clothes, furniture, textures and various other bits of goodies.  If want to learn about more hunts along with how, where and when, try http://slhunts.wordpress.com/ 

Another place to go for some good quality free starter clothes is a store call Sn@tch.  (The forum software will try and interpret that as an email address, but it is not).  Anyway, just search inworld for the including the @ and you will hit Ivey's store right away.  She has a complete avatar for new residents including a new skin, shape, clothes , the whole thing.  There are also various free items in her lucky chairs. (If your name starts with the same letter shown on the chair you sit in the chair to win the prize).  Her prizes rotate often and there are usually several people there to help keep the chairs in use.  And lastly ... there is the fishing outfit.  While you do have to buy a starting fishing pole to play the fishing game, the final prize is always worth it.  Ivey changes the fishing prize every other week and the other games (lucky chairs and fortune tellers) weekly.  I know it sounds like I am trying to sell the place to you (and I sort of am) but it is a fantastic place for new residents.  She just won an award for her work with the new residents and the quality of her freebie items.

Monecka, if you want to try the fishing game, send me an IM in world and I will buy you a pole to get started.  There are many other places that use the fishing system as well so it is not just a Sn@tch thing.

For shoes, go to In Her Shoes. They're all free.

Also the Fab*Free Station has lots of good freebies. (sorry I don't have landmarks for these as I'm not logged in in-world atm).

You can also get a lot of really good freebies by doing hunts.

Boo :smileyhappy:

All you need right here:

http://slfreebdollarbluckychairhunts.blogspot.com/

http://slhunts.wordpress.com/category/grid-wide-hunts/

After 1 month you will be amazed, of course for a newbie newbie its a little harder, but those two site will tell you just about every freebie,gift,lucky board,hunt etc in SL

My .resident avi looks better then i do now after one month, and she spent 0L. I am so going to pixelate her ass :smileyvery-happy:

The NCI freebies are a good start, and you'll find people around NCI Kuula who will gladly help. They are also one of the places which run courses on how to do things.

It is a good thing to buy a few Lindens, and get "payment info on file" status. Making that payment is a tricky process for some, I know, but it only needs a few USD. What does video rental or a burger cost? Put in 10 USD and you have enough L$ to put together a good AV.

The default library clothes are good quality. There's no reason you can't mix-and-match to get a different look. The same with the sources of free and cheap clothes: a good pair of jeans can go with so many other items. Good skins aren't so commonplace. Some clothes might look best with particular shape settings, but creating a shape doesn't depend on buying or uploading stuff.

Whatever you do, it helps to have some style in mind.

Gurl go find you a sugah daddy! Lol j/k :D

There are soooo many options nowadays for great looking items that are really cheap. Themed discount days such as 50L Friday, Project Themeory, The Dressing Room and The Dressing Room Blue are all regular events that immediately come to mind.

http://thedressingroom-shop.blogspot.com/

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1385953@N23/

Sorry, couldn't find any links for 50L Friday but you can search in-world for their group; it's free to join and group notices will include landmarks to participating stores.

The Marketplace is also a good place to browse for free or inexpensive items, without having to run all over the grid. Just go to the apparel category and keep clicking to get to the sub-category you want, then look for the "Sort by" dropdown filter in the upper right corner and choose "Price: Low to High". It should be noted that some of the free items you'll find that way, are actually clothing demos.

Finally, there's like a bajillion-schmillion-zillion blogs out there that are dedicated to fashion in SL, and many of them will feature limited time freebies and store gifts. Probably the easiest way to keep track of all these blogs churning out new posts is to visit websites that syndicate these blogs, such as http://iheartsl.com/.

Hope you found this info helpful :)

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2711 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.