web based profiles, did we scream for?

Maxine Kohime

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4651 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Well, I remember, we did scream for:

-lesser lag

-better v2 UI

-better support

and what are we given?

web based profiles!

Well, I really cant see where these profiles are a progress, they are cluttering my screen space, they are SLOOOOW and I cant prevent any linkging or sping out?

Is that progress the residents want?

What the residents want is Phoenix and Imprudence :)

I for one have uninstalled v2 and won't bother giving LL's official viewers another try. I only find it a bit sad that they are pushed onto new residents. It does little to help with the abysmal retention rate. I wish the third party viewer directory was still as prominent as it used to be in the early v2 days, in order to inform newcomers that there are other (and better) options.

Toy Wylie wrote:

Hiding your profile from the web will also hide it inside Viewer 2.5, which is a major flaw in the system.

Does anybody know if a jira has been filed for this? I asked in the comments of Torleys Web profile tip post whether this was fixed, but got no answer. Obviously it is not fixed.

[EDIT] Actually, here is a jira.

- Luc -

Luc Starsider wrote:

Toy Wylie wrote:

Hiding your profile from the web will also hide it inside Viewer 2.5, which is a major flaw in the system.

Does anybody know if a jira has been filed for this? I asked in the comments of Torleys Web profile tip post whether this was fixed, but got no answer. Obviously it is not fixed.

[EDIT] Actually,

- Luc -

Do I read that correct, (the quote is from Dan Linden who commted the jira report)  "Social team, what is the expected behavior in this situation and is it working correctly?"

What is the social team? Are that RESIDENTS, is he asking us?? And why a linden dosnt know? *LMAO

Maxine Kohime wrote:

Luc Starsider wrote:

Toy Wylie wrote:

[EDIT] Actually,

- Luc -

Do I read that correct, (the quote is from Dan Linden who commted the jira report)  "Social team, what is the expected behavior in this situation and is it working correctly?"

What is the social team? Are that RESIDENTS, is he asking us?? And why a linden dosnt know? *LMAO

I didn't read any of the comments in the jira - I just found it and watched it. But yeah, that is kind of funny, actually. We are the social team, for sure, but probably not the one he's talking about:smileyhappy:.

- Luc -

Ishtara Rothschild wrote:

Why do people use viewer 2? I really don't get it.

I hated it at the beginning but I'm the stubborn sort and told myself (I was in the Club/Venue business back then) I'd better at least know how to use the official viewer so I could help newbies etc. As time went on and improvements came I found myself using TPV (Phoenix and Imprudence) less and less. These days I hardly ever log on with a TPV - but when Firestorm is finished I'll deffo try it. For now, for me, V2.5 is way ahead of the pack - for my wants and needs. And to be honest I think that sums it up - it's whatever you like/need in a viewer that should determine what you use - not some sort of 'popularity' contest. :smileyhappy:

Choice is a truly wonderful thing. 

Maxine Kohime wrote:

-lesser lag

Lesser lag is why LL has been moving profiles, search, assets, and many other things to Web based services. All these functions were being handled by the simlulators, so they had to stop and do a bunch of adminstrative work when they should be spending their time moving avatars and objects around.

The viewer side of the team still has work to do to make SLPlugin and QtWebKit faster, but on the server side this kind of change is exactly what people have "screamed" for.

I just tried it out again this evening. It's almost midnight on a weekday (SL time) so I don't think high web-traffic is to blame.

It took approximately 1 minute for my profile to load.

I clicked on a friend's link to load their profile. After approx. 1 minute 45 seconds, the profile had not yet loaded and I closed viewer 2.5 in disgust.

My internet connection speed is fast, my system is not bogged down by other applications... so WHY does it take so long to load???

Jade Angkarn wrote:

My internet connection speed is fast, my system is not bogged down by other applications... so WHY does it take so long to load???

Most likely because the elements of the profile is loaded from 7-8 different URLs involving multiple servers including Amazon cloud storage. The old profiles some times took a bit to load the images, but the rest of the info was close to instantaneous. Now it must load backgrounds, javascript, css and other "goodies" to start displaying a profile. 

I support web based technology used for the profiles, but the implementation leaves a lot to be desired....

Cerise Sorbet wrote:

Maxine Kohime wrote:

-lesser lag

Lesser lag is why LL has been moving profiles, search, assets, and many other things to Web based services. All these functions were being handled by the simlulators, so they had to stop and do a bunch of adminstrative work when they should be spending their time moving avatars and objects around.

The viewer side of the team still has work to do to make SLPlugin and QtWebKit faster, but on the server side this kind of change is exactly what people have "screamed" for.

oki, we have web based profiles now...*makes some tests* ....but the LAG is not BETTER! NOOOOPE!

But, now our profiles are LAGY TOO!

Instead of opening up in a few, it needs AGES to load now...

A real progress, yeah?

Maxine Kohime wrote

A real progress, yeah?

In loading slower? Perhaps not, although it's seeming faster lately. Besides some benefits that Cerise mentioned, another one would be that if profiles are decoupled from the viewer, it doesn't require a viewer update any longer to work on profiles, which is less hassle for everyone. It would seem that this part of the work would need to be done first, and then go back and address speed and any other issues.

Well, I never had to "update" my profile after viewer updates? Well, only cause of web based profiles^^

So, I cant see any benefits we can enjoy through them...I dont need a slow loading, bad working connection to facebook and stuff. I need a good working viewer (Thx god there is pheonix) and a good working second life. Oh a working search would be nice also^^

Thinkerer Melville wrote:

How hard would it be to open aa web based provile in your browser off your viewer screen?  Leaving out the SL related actions like IM, it should be simple -- you can acturally do it manually now. 

TKR

not hard at all... and you wouldn't even need to leave out the SL related actions, because they all use the "secondlife:///" context handler, which browsers can redirectt the actions for to the viewer.....

of course to make that work they'd actually have to make their openID work properly and not continually log you out as it does on both my.secondlife.com and jira.secondlife.com

heck they can't even get it working right here or the main site..... in fact the only place the "remember me" check box works consistently is the wiki which they are in the process of dumping for almost all uses except LSL documentation (which is 99% user generated)

If you go to your profile, to 'Privacy settings' and uncheck 'I want my profile to be available on the web.' your profile will not be visible on the internet, as you would expect. The problem is that it will also be hidden from any logged in SL resident. Whether they are on your friends list or not, whether they try to open the profile in the viewer or in an external browser, makes no difference. All they will se is a page saying 'The name is unavailable'. This is just wrong! One would expect peoples profiles were always available to other residents unless someone had unchecked 'show in search' in the viewer preferences.

One of the consequences, since not even friends can open a profile if 'I want my profile to be available on the web' is unchecked, is that you can not change the access rights you have given to friends (See you on the map, See your online status, Rights to edit your stuff, and so on). The only way to change these in this case is to unfriend the person.

A jira for this was filed quite early on, but is now resolved as 'Expected behavior'!!! To me, that is just nonsensical and wrong, and I incourage anybody else who find this to be wrong to go 'Watch' the jira and leave a relevant comment. Se also this jira: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-25283

Thank you!

- Luc -

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4651 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.