Is Friendship still possible in SL?

altsaltalt

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3343 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

altsaltalt wrote:

I mean today, where everyone has like 1.000 alts :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

Friendship in SL is very much alive and kicking.

From personal experience, I have kept in contact with a few close friends over the years. Sure, it's not a high number, but I like to keep it simple, as do they. To be clear, I'm not talking about the friendlist. I'm speaking true friendship that extends above and beyond any RP'ing. Friendship in SL (much like RL) takes an amount of trust on both sides. Violate that trust, the friendship tends to dissapate.

As for alts, sure, people create them for one reason or another. I won't delve into that too much. I have one alt. I use it mainly for technical reasons.

I'm sure others have a word or two on SL friendship.

altsaltalt wrote:

Is Friendship still possible in SL?

Oh I hope you can,,,,Where else can I  have an interactive 3D, online, clean, no diseases exchanged relationship with a up and coming live musician! My Band Groupie Health Insurance plan is no longer covered under Obamacare.:P

If by friendship you mean knowing people who make you smile just because you see an offline IM from them in your email, or when they post to the feed or you see them inworld, then yes, it is still possible.

It—friendship—is also the one thing above all others that keeps me connected to SL, and funnily enough I hadn't expected anything like that at all when I first came here.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

If by friendship you mean knowing people who make you smile just because you see an offline IM from them in your email, or when they post to the feed or you see them inworld, then yes, it is still possible.

It—friendship—is also the one thing above all others that keeps me connected to SL, and funnily enough I hadn't expected anything like that at all when I first came here.

I did expect to make friends here. I had no idea who they'd be, or what they'd be like, but I fully expected to make friends and I did. For that, and for the unexpected particulars of those friendships, I have you (and others ;-) to thank.

We may be surprised by those particulars, but we're social creatures and our general expectation is to make connections. I think the OP is expressing at least a little disappointment over that expectation going unmet.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Sometimes "Friends" can seem like such a vague word.

We are forever attaching modifiers to it.

Close Friends

Best Friends

Good Friends

Old Friends

New Friends

Friends with benefits....

The list could go on. Many of us will say that it's the people that keep us coming back, not the technology. So, I'll define "friends" as the people that keep us coming back.

Though that might also describe my dentist.

;-).

Perrie Juran wrote:

Sometimes "Friends" can seem like such a vague word.

We are forever attaching modifiers to it.

Close Friends

Best Friends

Good Friends

Old Friends

New Friends

Friends with benefits....

Or maybe just "friends". Thank me later after it isn't stuck in your head :)

friends.png

♪ So no one told you life was gonna be this way

Your job's a joke, you're broke, your love life's D O A

♫ It's like you're always stuck in second gear

When it hasn't been your day, your week ♫

Your month or even your year but...

I forgot to add that friendships are, indeed, alive and well in SL! I have very dear friends who I met in SL almost 8 years ago. They have since left SL, but remain in my RL! I also have "new" friends. Some I consider simply SL friends. Not to cheapen the role of SL friends, they can be so important, I have many of them that have been there for me for such a long time, I simply mean those you don't see as ever crossing over to RL.  I also have one "new" friend (less than a year) who I have grown super close to.  The only thing that keeps us from being at each others house for a movie and a beer is almost 8,000 miles, lol! I actually met him here in the forums when he came here as a newbie looking for help. :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2: So, my answer is a resounding YES!!! 

altsaltalt wrote:

To be honest :

• I (still) control one avatar only.
  • My SL-friendlist is occupied with avatars who I trust to keep my SL enjoyable. ( If that trust is broken, you are off that list ).
  • I don't know if one should consider that equivalent to a friendship occurring in the real world. I certainly don't.

Snugs McMasters wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Snugs McMasters wrote:

I hate to burst your bubble Maddy, but Dillon likes me more than she likes you.

Everybody does, really.

Thats not true.. I like Maddy more.. You are a meanie...

Who asked you, Drake?

Pfft!

well, you spoke for me so i decided to set the record straight.. So there..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3343 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.