Should I change a sculpt's ownership if i plan to resell it?

Myra Wildmist

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4801 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I bought a sculpt off the marketplace. It's full perm and resellable if I modify it, etc. So I've added texture, resized it, and popped some scripts in it. One thing I noticed though is the creator doesn't change. It's still the creator of the sculpt; I'm the owner, though.

I don't think that I've ever bought an object in a store that didn't say the creator was the owner of that store. I can't believe the store owners are the original creators of everything they sell, you know, making all their own sculpts. Particularly since I seem to see the same shoe styles in a lot of store. :smileywink:

So two questions:

1. Should I change the creator to me?

This seems to make sense, since I can't imagine the creator of the sculpt wants to be bothered with questions if my script blows up on a buyer.

2. How do I change the creator to me?

Thank you.

Actually...you should have got a sculpt map to create the object with you as creator...right click the sculpt, choose open and see if there is anything in it...if not then the creator remains and you would add a note to the folder you sell the object in that tells buyers to direct all questions etc to you.

well you can also just rez a normal prim, make it transparent or part of the build and link all other prims to yours. This will make you the creator of the whole objects, when rezzed. If they just look at it in inventory it will not say any creator, I think.

Oh and you'd be surprised how many people make most of their own stuff.

WeeWillie Wylie wrote:

Actually...you should have got a sculpt map to create the object with you as creator...right click the sculpt, choose open and see if there is anything in it...if not then the creator remains and you would add a note to the folder you sell the object in that tells buyers to direct all questions etc to you.

That's the most obvios option. You can also contact the creator in order to ask for a copy of the sculpty map.

Medhue Simoni wrote:

well you can also just rez a normal prim, make it transparent or part of the build and link all other prims to yours. This will make you the creator of the whole objects, when rezzed. If they just look at it in inventory it will not say any creator, I think.

Oh and you'd be surprised how many people make most of their own stuff.

that's perhaps is the easeast option if you are not sure about how to deal with sculpties. If you are using another prim other than the sculpty and you create that prim, make it the parent prim.

And a less "clean" option... since the sculpty prim is full perm, and you say you script, you can use  prim parameters to get the sculpty uuid, you might want to copy all the parameters for yours to look exactly the same, then make your own prim and a script to set the parameters. I'd assume that if the prim is sold full perm that option is is valid, but if in doubt you could ask the creator if agrees.

In all scenarios (whatever option you choose), you shouldn't sell the object showing the sculpt creator as creator, is not fair for either part: if someone doesn't like your scripts work, they'll complain to the sculpt creator most probably, and if someone likes your product, might think its someone else's work.

Just make sure that the Sculpt Creator allows you to resell the Sculpt as a single prim to others.  Most sculp makers only allow their customers to resell the sculpt if its part of a larger build (the prim is one of a group of prims in a build).

Sculpt Maps lets u be the prim creator.

Myra Wildmist wrote:

I don't think that I've ever bought an object in a store that didn't say the creator was the owner of that store. I can't believe the store owners are the original creators of everything they sell, you know, making all their own sculpts. Particularly since I seem to see the same shoe styles in a lot of store. :smileywink:

Don't assume owner is not original creator of that sculpt just because he has some sculpts from others in his builds. I have also some sculpt made by me and have items with sculpts made by others ;-)

yep, if you want to show as  you being the creator use the map to make a new object with a prim you rez. Then you will be the creator.

And I pretty much make all my own sculpts. Its either me or the owner of the place I work at. But a lot of my stuff shows as Black Box being the creator because I never bothered to change it in sculpt studio lol.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4801 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.