Graphics card clock speed drops.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3340 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My situation is this My system is a Amd 8320 cpu overclocked to 4.4 16 gigbytes of ram. 256gig solid state and 1tb softaware drive.

I have a 750 watt power supply And I am running  a nvidia Gtx 970 graphics card. My Graphics card specs are as follows. 

1140 core clock speed 1279 boosted stock.   I've overclockled  it  so that my boosted is now about 1500mhz.

The issue is that my gpu slowes down during usage of sl. Now normally I would say this wouldnt be a problem but it  takes my fps down into the 9fps range.

I can however play a game like farcry for a few hours on end and not have it throttle in the list bit. 

What I am trying to figure out  is what setting could be causing my gpu to go from 1500mhz down to 1113 when heat is not a factor. 

In this times I do have  Sl turned up pretty high so it should be demanding more power form sl. I have also tried different power profiles.. nothing seems to help.

Thank you for anyone who decides to look at my post.

Hi DKTitan,

Are you sure heat isn't the issue? My experience on the Mac has been that SL works the GPU very hard, and as the temperature rises, the OS throttles back the GPU clock. In the extreme, this throttling would eventually result in a viewer crash. Over in the answers section, we often field questions from people who are only able to run SL for 5-10 minutes before a crash. It's often due to GPU overheating, exacerbated by any blockage in the cooling system. Blowing out dust bunnies, or dialing back on the extras usually helps.

All that said, a GTX 970 should be able to keep up, though your overclocking might be causing you to hit the hi-temp limit.

I'd agree with you except that 970's have a tdp limit I think my tdp limit is 110 and I am not getting anywhere close to that. 

Even now with my old gtx 660 ti. Sl is only using about 31 %of the tdp. Thats two cards that are not workin to their full potential in second life but will work to the full potential in games like watch dogs and far cry. It does not make any sense at all.  Hottest the gtx 970 gets is about  60c when playing  those games. Right now my gtx 660ti is only at 47c.. Find it hard to blame heat.

DKTitan wrote:

I'd agree with you except that 970's have a tdp limit I think my tdp limit is 110 and I am not getting anywhere close to that. 

Even now with my old gtx 660 ti. Sl is only using about 31 %of the tdp. Thats two cards that are not workin to their full potential in second life but will work to the full potential in games like watch dogs and far cry. It does not make any sense at all.  Hottest the gtx 970 gets is about  60c when playing  those games. Right now my gtx 660ti is only at 47c.. Find it hard to blame heat.

Okay, overheating isn't the problem. I can't think of any other reason for clock throttling. But your 9fps could be due to SL running on OpenGL, rather than DirectX, and because SL can run out of texture memory far faster than curated VWs.

How do frame rates compare between the 660 and 970 in the same scene?

• 5 weeks later...

Msigtx970temps..png

The above caption is taken from this review https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_970_Gaming/1.html

These are the respective temps for this card. I believe the global thought with gpu's is that it can handle temps up to 90c and be ok. Though at that point I'd say a serious problem is occuring.  

My Gpu is overclocked from its default spec's of 1114mhz core clock and memory of 1750mhz memory

to 1281mhz core clock and 1900mhz memory 

That nets me up to a 1506mhz boosted clock speed.

I'd say  about 70 is looking about right for the performance not to mention my rooms always a bit warm.

And just to give a bit of back group my  over all system is:

Amd-8320 overclocked to 4.4ghz 

16gbs of Corsair ram

Gigabyte Ga-990fxa-ud3 motherboard

Msi gtx 970 overclocked to 1505mhz core clock and 1900mhz memory.

2 cpu fans positioned to blow on my vram and northbridge to keep them cool.

crucial mx100 256 ssd

2 1tb hdd's

corsair tx 750 wat psu. 

So I think i'm doing a'ok.  

Btw  Thanks for responding I love sharing pc info with others. Its a rare thing now days.

I have a Top of the line New imac .  There is a BUG that leakes memory that Firestorme .  I can Copy The representative conversation the Mac Person working at Firestorm had with Linden Labs.  Basically Linden Labs will NOT aknowldge this problem that MANY Mac users are having.  http://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-11675  .  You could contact Firestorm Mac representatives and i am sure they will give you the direct name of the person that replied back at  that time thay they are NOT working on it and do not see it as a problem.  However, it is a HUGE problem for Mac users even using Lindens own viewer.  My FPS are pathetic 20fps and at times 6 fps.  then if i am all  alone on a  skybox my FPS will shot up to 120.  The suggestion from the people at Firestorm who really will do their best to interact and help you ...... while you give  your  money to LL and they  don't care if you have dumped over 5,000 in this game they will not get back to you and if they do it will be a  computer generasted answer....  Firestorm real live people  IM you and suggest using other 3rd party viewers ... That sucks because you do NOT get all the bells and whistles of The Firestorm viewer.  I can run Firestorm on my imac.  on Lindins it is  bad.  and firestorm is not as  fast as  what it was;ast year for mac users ... SO google Second Life third party Viewers and see which ones you have the most  succes with  they are pretty bare bones .  Yet you will be faster and have higher FPS.  Catznip, is good , singularity has a good one  for mac called KOKUA.  I like that  BUT I shop using Alchamy.  I am very picky about my settings.  As far as it goes.  I always played SL on a PC ....they are  cheap as **bleep** and you can build one for very little.  I build my last one  4 years ago and NOTHING BUT games where on that PC. I  would never trust a PC with my Pics , My Music My videos.  That doesnt mean i  won't order a few parts and slap a PC together.  YET a mac is a far better quality computer.  Do not expect Apple to work with Linden Labs tech they will not. You can play every single other game with just as  fast  results on a mac  aside from SL.  The problem all started when Mesh clothing came to town.  i love mesh .....  SL and Macs doo NOT run as  great as they do on a  windows . I have invested  time and money and friendships in this game and to me...... i dont think building a PC  for 500 bucks  is a bad  deal.  yet i  still am  playing  it on my imac at this  time  waiting for partds to come in and i'd suggest using third party viewers and  try them all . even Firefox check you FPS  that is really  what   slows you  down or  crashes  you   thre most and   make your  settings low,  I  can  run ultra on my imac yet it i  run it  at med and  change the lighting  to FSoriginal i jack up my  cache to 512  and  bandwith to 1500.  i have 2 Gb  dedicated to my graphics and 16 GB  of  ram and an i7 and tbh have an i7 doesnt mean a thing  for gaming in sl  you can do  just as well with a i5.  unless  you  will have sl open and graphics and photoshop and design programs   alll at the  same  time an i7 wouldnt do much ...... try the other  viewers  and mess with the settings it isnt your  mac it is second life and i have been in this  game since 2008  and it has always sucked on a mac BUT it  sucks even worse ow!!! od  seeing  the new macs are all intel core   go  figure!!!!!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3340 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.