Will someone just send me a URL to the "My Appearance Tab" page?

CMOQ

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4774 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Okay, I just signed up today. I have spent the entire afternoon trying to figure out how to change my avatar. None of the "Getting Started"  tutorials link to ANYTHING, and this stupid "Knowledge Base/Editing Your Appearance" starts by saying, "Click the My Appearance tab." What Tab?!?! WHERE IS IT???? Will someone just send me the URL to this page that has this "My Appearance" tab?

22 answers to this question

Welcome to SL!  This KB article and links may be helpful to you.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Editing-your-appearance/ta-p/700709

My understanding from your other posts is that your avie is female and you wish it to be male.  There should be several 'outfits' which would include skin, hair, shape, clothing in folders within your My Outfits folder in your inventory.  Look there for several starter avies.  There should be both male and female available.

Good luck!

Okay, this link just goes to the same place I was talking about before. It "explains" what to do, but doesn't go to where you do it. Where is it? Where is the "My Appearance" "TAB?"

by CMOQ on 03-04-2011 12:21 AM
I have no idea why you are asking me that. Of course I downloaded a viewer. How else could I be here asking questions? And why didn't you just send me the URL like I asked?

This is not a viewer CMOQ, this is a website. Bee was asking if you had downloaded the Secondlife Viewer, logged in and actually seen the world and your avatar?
If you have, the place you are looking for is in there, you right-click on your avatar (the little pixel person in second life) and you will find Edit Appearance.
If you have not yet downloaded the SL world, you need to go to: https://secondlife.com/support/downloads/?lang=en-US & do that.

You must be inworld to edit your appearance. The link that I gave you explains how to do it once you are inworld. So, log into SL and then right click your avatar. You will see a pie open on yourself and select 'edit appearance'. A box will open next to your avatar where several body parts will have buttons and sliders that you can use to change the way that you look. I would suggest that you have the webpage available behind your viewer so you can tab to it to read instructions as you go along.

Patience will get you a long way here. That and kindness to others who are attempting to assist you.

Okay, now this is my first real clue in hours. Apparently SL is a new plateau in jargon deciphering. Although everywhere else I've ever gone on the internet for the last twenty years is referred to as a "website," SL doesn't CALL it a website, they call it a "Viewer." I have no idea when I'm in the viewer and when I'm not. Yes, I downloaded the viewer, twice, in fact. Yes, I saw the avatar once, which is when I realized it was female and that I had made a mistake when I signed up and didn't pick one of those male thumbnail pictures. So far this initial mistake has caused me four hours of pointless lost in space questions and answers. So how do I know when I'm in the Viewer, when I'm not, and where do I go to find my avatar again so I can click on it and change it? I have now finally realized that there is no URL to go to, like everywhere else on the internet except here.

Okay, it's only taken about 25 Q&A's for me to get the idea that this forum is NOT IN Second LIfe!!! (WTF???) How do I go from THIS Forum back to wherever the hell my avatar is NOW?

Okay, now I have three questions. When you say, "Log out and log back in," are you saying: 1. Log out of the Safari browser, or 2. Log out of Second Life, or 3. Log out of this "Viewer" everyone is telling me about? How do I tell the difference between the Second LIfe web page and the "Viewer?" I don't understand what the difference is between Second Life and the "Viewer." Apparently it's not enough to bookmark the Second Life website, I have to bookmark the "Viewer" too? Or is the "Viewer," like the "Appearance Tab" is NOT on a web page at all? I don't even know if I'm logged in or not. I've spent so much time on this forum thinking it was part of second life, how do get to this "Viewer" thing from here?

The "viewer" is the software through which you view Second Life. When you say "I'm logged into Second Life," you are probably talking about the viewer. The web site is not Second Life; these are just plain ol' web forums. You can't view SL through your web browser. Do you have a PC or a mac? If PC, you'll be able to find SL (the SL viewer) in your start menu. If mac, it'll be in your applications folder.

OK, you should have a shortcut on your desktop to open the SL world again, click that and login using your username & password. Once you can "see" your avatar, you can right-click on it and you will then find edit appearance on the menu that appears.

If you are wanting to change your avatar from the female one to one of the male ones, you can go to your Inventory (there is a tab for this on the right side of the screen that has an icon on it that looks like a suitcase) In your inventory you will find a section called LIBRARY, go there and find a folder called Clothing and a subfolder inside it called "Initial outfits". You can drag any of those outfit folders from your inventory on to your avatar and it will change its shape and clothes for you. Some are male and some are female, all are named accordingly.

This forum is about second life but is not in the second life viewer. It is in a browser. Browser /= Viewer. Your avatar is in Second Life..the viewer. Do you know what a browser is? Like Mozilla? Microsoft Explorer?

Second Life is a viewer...not a browser.

Are you saying that I can go to the applications folder and get into this viewer without even being on the internet? How is that possible? The "Viewer" has to be on the internet, doesn't it? (I'm ready to believe anything now!) :)

Your internet connection is not dependent on your browser. Your browser shows you web pages only. To use Second Life, you have to use the viewer in your applications folder. You can keep your browser (safari, I think you said?) open while you use SL if it'll make you feel better, but it's not a requirement :)

www.youtube.com

Can save you entire days

remember we are now at viewer 2 so if you find out the videos are different from the interface you are using now

probably because they are from viewer 1

refine your search

second life

second life+viewer 2

second life+avatar appearance

torley linden has tones of good tuturials at his channel also

but if you dont know how to edit your apparence  i my personal opinion

best words for you at this time are freebies and sandbox try them out at viewer search:smileywink:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4774 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.