Please delete this thread !

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1892 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My hope is that RIC will just highlight a concern to a live moderator who has the requisite intelligence to see if it truly violates a guideline and would be able to point to said guideline for the 'offender'.  There is nothing more irritating than being 'reported' and not knowing why you were reported. 

Venus Petrov wrote:

My hope is that RIC will just highlight a concern to a live moderator who has the requisite intelligence to see if it truly violates a guideline and would be able to point to said guideline for the 'offender'.  There is nothing more irritating than being 'reported' and not knowing why you were reported. 

Only as a teaser I have tried the Report Inappropriate Content - link to report Storm' thread to be relocated. I found it more like sending a short PM with a sent button. Neither did I receive any notification by email ( which I doubt will happen ).I think this might imply disputes can be instantly notified to the moderators, but I also think this might overwhelm when several disputes start braking lose.

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

My hope is this function will be reviewed and the inappropriate posts deleted promptly. There is really no reason for a GD 2.

And vice versa ? Like reporting you for posting copyrighted content  e.g. music videos ?

Please do not misinterpret. Genuine questions to you.

Wilhiam Hydraconis wrote:

Venus Petrov wrote:

Only as a teaser I have tried the Report Inappropriate Content - link to report Storm' thread to be relocated. I found it more like sending a short PM with a sent button. Neither did I receive any notification by email ( which I doubt will happen ).I think this might imply disputes can be instantly notified to the moderators, but I also think this might overwhelm when several disputes start braking lose.

I'm not so sure I understand why you used my post as a 'teaser'?  I am not permitted to start an OP where I see fit? 

Storm Clarence wrote:

I'm not so sure I understand why you used my post as a 'teaser'?  I am not permitted to start an OP where I see fit?

Oh .. sorry for that, but please don't mind too much. I doubt action will be taken and I only tried to 'tickle' moderation into some response to either you or me.

Never intended to malicously use the reporting to disrupt your thread.

Made me aware too that threads cannot be moved by Residents creating them.

ETA : Hindsight shows I was very, very mistaken. My apologies, Storm.

Cali Souther wrote:

I didn't AR, so I doubt I will RIC ... :smileywink:

I'm just testing this out, actually... to see how it looks, works, etc.

You are all honored members... cool!  ~bows~ 

:-)

Thank you for your thoughts and welcome to the Off Topic - section of the forums, Cali .. :)

/me returns the bow.

Wilhiam Hydraconis wrote:

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

My hope is this function will be reviewed and the inappropriate posts deleted promptly. There is really no reason for a GD 2.

And vice versa ? Like reporting you for posting copyrighted content  e.g. music videos ?

Please do not misinterpret. Genuine questions to you.

Oh I understand completey and counter-filed with youtube. Good luck with that. The vid still remains....

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

Oh I understand completey and counter-filed with youtube. Good luck with that. The vid still remains....

Errr ... I'm not quite sure here. You counter-filed a report about inappropriate content with youtube ? ... I did not say I was reporting your posted video ( I never reported you, but don't let that starve your paranoia ) , but wondered wether you were aware of the implication of effectiveness when reporting you for as something as simple as copyright violation.

For instance most youtube vids of musical artists are not posted by consent of said artists as we know.

I think the best way to make sure that the new Off Topic forum does not add too much to the moderators' workload and proves to be a nuisance for LL is, other than being on whatever passes for our best behaviour, to simply forget about the RIC button / link.

Unless it is really necessary to take action, in case of advertising spam for example. But most of us are adults here, and there is really no need to run to the hall monitor over every bit of colorful language and every image that shows a glimpse of bare skin.

Ishtara Rothschild wrote:

I think the best way to make sure that the new Off Topic forum does not add too much to the moderators' workload and proves to be a nuisance for LL is, other than being on whatever passes for our best behaviour, to simply forget about the RIC button / link.

Agreed ... let's start by not Godwinning them too soon either then, shall we ? Although your Adolf-smilie did made me grin ..  :P:)

Ishtara Rothschild wrote:

Unless it is really necessary to take action, in case of advertising spam for example. But most of us are adults here, and there is really no need to run to the hall monitor over every bit of colorful language and every image that shows a glimpse of bare skin.

The adults do have to bare in mind though that these fori are now basically considered PG and that Adult content ( the usual XXX - rated stuff in the real world , I suppose ) is reportable. There has been a suggestion made in the forum feedback - thread to facilitate a seperate Adult - area.

It will be to the adults individually to experience the fine line while it is set out in this new course of communication by example.

These examples are perhaps yet to occur.

I don't know what RIC means.

What I do know is that my usual posture on the forums for years, even when harassed and persecuted mercilessly, was never, ever to flag or abuse report anyone. I thought it bad form. I don't like the notion of a police state where people inform on one another secretly to the secret police, i.e. you cannot face your accuser, there is no due process, and you don't see what reports were made on you.

But on this new forum, I am going to abuse report whenever I am badgered, heckled, harassed, chastised; when ill will and evil intentions are impugned to me; when people tell me to "get out," when I am told to "stop being destructive' etc. etc. -- all of those things that constitute *harassment* indeed under the guidelines. I can and will report them as abuse.

One of the reasons why the playing field has always been so hopelessly tilted on the forums is that people like me have always considered it really poor form (and also just not worth the bother) to file abuse reports.

That's changing.

I think Mitch Wagner was absolutely right when he said that banning from forums is not caused by excessive moderation; it's actually caused by a failure to moderate *enough*. It's about them not intervening early and fairly so that a person doesn't feel goaded and doesn't feel they have to fight back. In the overwhelming majority of cases, it's about moderators not intervening very early on and very clearly and repetively to make the environment fair for all. When moderators don't do their jobs, people fight back. It's when they fight back, and try to create fair conditions through persistent fighting, that others with ill will can then AR them and then the mods ban people for fighting back.

It's because the mods respond to those fanboyz with their pudgy little fingers permanently pressing on the "abuse report" button, and don't come in and see the Lord of the Flies atmosphere themselves against those who *don't* AR.

That's changing.

I'm not for moderating forums in this fashion as a principle. But if they *will* be very strictly moderated, then I will definitely be part of what calls for them to be moderated fairly and impartially *in just this fashion*.

Claiming that people are "abuse reporting as a form of abuse" is itself abusive, and a form of intimidation. It implies that everyone is supposed to sit in silence and be bullied and harassed and have evil impugned to them.

They won't be doing that.

That's changing.

• 7 years later...
2 minutes ago, WinTrain said:

I wonder why LL never deleted this thread?

I wonder why you dragged it back from the dead to ask us as I suspect we neither know, care nor even comprehend what the purpose of this thread was, nor of your resurrecting said thread. There are far easier ways of inflating your post count if I may suggest and getting yourself the attention you obviously crave

1) post about the greatness/crapness of donald trump

2) Make a post about furries cultural misappropriation of woodland culture

3) Defend or attack any group by using twisted logic to show they are or are not misogynist/racist/homophobic

Let the dead threads rest in peace, their time is done they are no longer pining for the fjords

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KanryDrago said:

I wonder why you dragged it back from the dead to ask us as I suspect we neither know, care nor even comprehend what the purpose of this thread was, nor of your resurrecting said thread. There are far easier ways of inflating your post count if I may suggest and getting yourself the attention you obviously crave

1) post about the greatness/crapness of donald trump

2) Make a post about furries cultural misappropriation of woodland culture

3) Defend or attack any group by using twisted logic to show they are or are not misogynist/racist/homophobic

Let the dead threads rest in peace, their time is done they are no longer pining for the fjords

The one thing I do appreciate about Donald trump is that he says what he wants and how he feels and goes off script sometimes. That is all I like about him. Otherwise, he can go to UM..... A farm. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1892 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.