Traveling

LittleMissChatty13

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4773 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

8 answers to this question

I like to use Landmarks that I've created from previous visits.

The World Map is the most common way to explore and travel. There is a world map at secondlife.com and you have a inworld map. To get an overview of the SL world, I recommend using the map at the website. The inworld map can get a bit laggy if you zoom out too far or enable to many features like events or land for sale to be displayed.

You can fly around to travel but in some cases you will need to open your World map to get to the next grouping of regions.

Roads are a decent  way to travel if you want to explore every detail and you're not in a hurry to do it.

Walking could take months or years.

i was at my friends' club once when this lady started shouting nearby. she had gotten lost inside some builds or rocks or something and was really distressed. i was in a helpful mood so i offered her a tp to where i was. (otherwise i would have sent her a landmark to some dodgy place :smileyvery-happy: (not that i have such landmarks...:smileytongue:)) when she arrived at my location she started making fun of the height of my avatar etc (i'm short). (thanks, lady! :smileymad:) makes me regret i didn't send her some funky landmark :smileymad:

so, yeah, as mentioned - teleports are your friend \o/ although travelling from sim to sim can also be fun while driving or simply walking - provided the sims are connected.

more tips for the beginner here: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Getting-started/ta-p/700071 (knowledge base link at the top of the forum (points) ^)

welcome to second life :)

You can teleport - but if you are new to SL you may not know where to teleport to!  I suggest that you log onto SL and go to the search field. Search on 'newbie friendly' or 'newcomer friendly' and when a place you like the description of comes up in the search window, click "teleport" and go there.  Do this a few times to find some interesting places.  You might also like to shop for appearance items, or maybe you have a special interest (such as surfing, boating, horseback riding) - and search on one of those terms.  Teleport to a few places that you find in search.  Landmark the places you like the most and travel back there.  Linden Labs has several "welcome areas" and these might be a good place to start.  Lastly, be careful where you go.  Pay attention to maturity settings and behave accordingly.  Also be wary that there are some characters who hang about in newcomer areas and these people might try to take advantage of your newcomer status.  After some practice, you will find lots of great places and friends to visit over and over in SL.  Enjoy!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4773 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.