Sign in to follow this  
CMOQ

How do I change my avatar?

I never picked this avatar. It was selected when I signed up and I didn't even notice it. How do I change it? I'm a guy, and this avatar is a female. I don't want it. Do I have to start over again and sign up all over again as a different person or something?

Your Library contains lots of choices. Just change to one of the pre-defined avatars from there.

Moreover, If I would know your username I could drop you a newbie orientation notecard in-world. Is it "CMOQ Resident"?

Hi CMOQ, and welcome to SL.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Inventory-system-folders/ta-p/700095

If you look in your inventory, there's a section that says "Library."  There's a folder there that says "Clothing" - and there, you will find Linden Lab's (free) avatar selections.   Try a few to see what you like :)

There's video about this:  http://vimeo.com/4167344

Then...when you've been here a bit, you can think about swapping your free avatar shape / skin for ones more like what you'd prefer.

And yes, as Paola mentions, there are lots of places for new SL residents to obtain free skin/shapes/clothing (I believe your account has to be less that 30 days).

I thought my name was CMOQ. What does "CMOQ Resident" mean? There's a Library? I've been here about five minutes.

I don't want new clothing. I want a different avatar. I'm a guy. This avatar is a girl. I don't want a female avatar. Do I have to register all over again just to change avatars?

CMOQ wrote:

I don't want new clothing. I want a different avatar. I'm a guy. This avatar is a girl. I don't want a female avatar. Do I have to register all over again just to change avatars?

I know, CMOQ...there are male shapes and skins in that Clothing folder in the Library (a bit misleading, I agree).

CMOQ wrote:

No, you don't need to register to change your avatar's gender. An avatar is strictly speaking genderless. What ever you dress it with or tack on will make you appear as a gender (or even as something genderless, if you want.) It's one of the many, many customization options you have in SL for your avatar.

Your current avatar has a female appearance. In your inventory you'll have items which can give your avatar a male appearance, such as a shape, hair and clothes. You can also find/buy such items in Second Life itself or learn how to make them yourself.

CMOQ, if you wear a male shape your avatar will change to male. You don't need to start all over again, you can change your avatar's appearance as much and as often as you wish.

There are plenty of shapes in the Library Clothing folders, each folder has a whole avatar - shape, skin, hair, eyes as well as clothing. You can mix and match items from different folders - say you like the skin from one and the hair from another, you can just pick the ones you like best.  You can also buy new items or pick them up from freebie places.

You could ask a Moderator to lock this thread for you, or just let it go.  People will see it's been answered, and will stop on their own.  Just like any other forum, the thread will die eventually.

And, welcome to your Second Life!  Hope you have as much fun as I have had over the years. :smileyhappy:

CMOQ wrote:

I thought my name was CMOQ. What does "CMOQ Resident" mean? There's a Library? I've been here about five minutes.

That's odd you see resident in Viewer 2....5 minutes eh?

"Resident" is the last name given to users who chose not to input a last name for their avatar. For messaging and contact purposes, your name is technically "CMOQ Resident."

When you go into your inventory, go all the way to the bottom (depending on how large your inventory is). Click on "Library," go to Clothing. All of your choices are right there.