How come my wrinkles are all jagged and not smooth?

Antumbra

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3358 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Everytime I try to make wrinkels my wrinkles are all jagged and ugly, i have subdivided like 4 times and my triangle count is already at 80,000 I don't understand what I'm doing wrong, I see other people make wrinkles and it's all smooth and pretty. Also when I see their mesh their triangle count is so low but their mesh is so smooth and looks so high quality without so many polygons. How can I do that?

TOOOOOOO   MANY     TRIIIIIIIIIIS  !

I agree with the poster above LOL.    Whatever you were making would take FOR-E-VER to load. Those items I simply toss. Who wants to be naked for half an hour (OK and exageration -- maybe).

So rethink your process.

Ok people... I am asking for help -___- And so far i'm not seeing any help, if you read my question right I'm asking for help so I don't have to use so many tri's. I can' t 'rethink" my process if I don't know any other way. THATS WHY I'M ASKING A QUESTION.

Hi Antumbra.  I don't blame you for not wanting any more of the kind of help you have gotten from the previous posts.  I would have felt the same way.

I know you probably are not going to read this but I will try and help you anyway just in case.

I suspect your problem has less to do with any sort of smoothness feature the program you are using has and more to do with it not having good edge flow.  I couldn't know for sure unless I saw a photo of your mesh in wireframe mode.

Let me try to explain what good edge flow is.  Imagine a bowl of still water and drop a small pebble into it and imagine freezing time so just a half second after the pebble hits the water and sinks you see a ring of water form creating a tiny circular wave.

Now if you were to create that frozen moment in time with the circular wave  that is 3 or 4 inches a cross in mesh you would use a plane.  A plane with good edge flow the edges of the plain would not form a grid like a checkerboard with horizontal and vertical edges but more like a bullseye target with the edges made from concentric circles and a ray of edges from the center like the spokes in a bicycle wheel.  YOu can see that where the wave would be the circle of edges would be raised above the rest.

Now think of a fold in cloth like a wave.  You want the edges to flow along the length of the fold horizontally and then vertically up and over the top of the fold.

With good edge flow you really don't need that many vertices to create a smooth realistic looking object.  Here's a link to a tutorial on YouTube and notice how with just a few vertex he is able to get a recognizable face. 

Here's a link to an wonderful article on Digital Tutors.  While the article only touches a little bit about smoothing look at all the images and notice the really great edge flow. Digital Tutors Article

Last but least here is a few videos I made about converting Marvelous Designer mesh which has horrible edge flow to quads which have good edge flow.

and part 2.

I hope that helps. :)
Cathy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3358 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.