The VaNiTy ThReAd

Wilhiam Hydraconis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 593 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I haven't used Ctrl 0, but I use Firestorm and you can pull up a more advanced camera tool that allows you to zoom, If you picture it this way, the normal control we think of as a zoom, isn't a zoom at all. It is the equivalent of moving the camera closer in real life, you can imagine how moving a camera to within a few inches of a persons face would be the best way to get a portrait. The best way would be a camera with a zoom lens so you could adjust the lens to get just the face without moving the camera. I take all my pictures this way now, moving back as far as the rendering or the room, will allow, and then zoom in to fill the frame with what I want.

• Like 1

I want to share another trick you can do in Firestorm which I use a lot that not many people seem to know about.  It's especially good for those of you who like to post unedited snapshots & see what effects you can get just using the viewer tools.
You can actually use the viewers Depth Of Field (DOF) effect to sharpen your shots by using a negative Circle Of Confusion setting (CoC).
This can really make some close up face shots pop with no post processing.

In the top menu bar of Firestorm: World -> Photo & Video -> Phototools -> DOF/Glow tab -> Enable Depth of Field.
Setting a small negative value for CoC will slightly sharpen the image (I usually use -2 to -6).
Setting a much higher negative value gives some really funky effects that are cool to play with.
Warning - a high negative CoC value will push your graphics very hard. Remember to set CoC to default after twiddling with it (click the D (default) button).

Shot 1 - DOF disabled.
761f77c0526a4354866f3d87083b6e16.png

Shot 2 - DOF enabled & CoC set to -5 gives a nice sharpen effect
743c041eb0944ce7b034f1b468f9d883.png

Shot 3 - CoC set to -50 - now we get a little crazy!
42f0f6f36d824119a5f5ba5a3248133b.png

• Like 15

Depth Of Field (DOF) however is not just for sharpening close ups, It primarily is used to create the effect of a real camera with a real lens in causing just part of the image to be in focus, With a real camera, only those objects a certain distance from the lens will be in focus, while those object closer or farther than that distance will be blurry. The DOF setting will reproduce that effect, note in this picture of my husband and I in out back yard, how the trees in the background are blurry while we are in focus. Oh and yes I had to censure this just a bit to make it forum acceptable.

image.jpeg

Edited by Talligurl
  • Like 3

This would be a follow-up to my original Vanity shot....

Originally, I had posted about the Giant Bunny my partner left me for Easter. Since then "Waldo" has become a permanent resident on our property where he chomps grass and leaves the pet cheetahs we already had roaming the grounds looking very disconcerted.

Cheetah #1: "What the hell IS that thing?"
Cheetah #2: "I have no idea but did you see the size of its poop?"

This updated photo of domestic bliss is of my Partner and I enjoying our cuddle-chair-by-the-pool, watching Waldo guard the house (he's visible up against the foundation).

Our%20Chair.jpg

Edited by AmandaKeen
  • Like 9

On 4/10/2012 at 6:09 PM, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

mmhmmm - that is EXACTLY the pic I was referring to.  In fact, I will quote it in the reply just so I can enjoy it again....  :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

Ian Undercroft wrote:

Those damn PG guidelines, eh, Cinn?! I assume this is the pic to which you're referring:

Undercroft86.jpg

It's a shame really, because the uncropped version is rather good (even if I do say so myself)!

Just bumping this pic up as a remembrance to a great guy with a great sense of humor passing too soon.  For those of you who knew Sir Ian, his passing was announced here https://my.secondlife.com/keira.colclough/posts/5907e16e3ce38a08cf000001

• Like 3

I was in the middle of putting this look together when a blogger pack of earrings dropped into my inventory, so they made their way into the look :)

burningstill.jpg

Credits

~*Souzou Eien*~ for Fantasy Gacha Carnival and Stray Dog for Men Only Monthly.

Jacket: Ascend - Kaii Waist Tied Jacket (black)
Pants: Tomoto - Flare Pants (black)
Hat: David Heather - Drip Brim Hat (black)
Footwear: United Colors - Black Laced Up Sandals Unisex
Eyewear: Pop Art Store - Gabana Sunglasses
Armwear: Caboodle - Aiden Armwarmers
Earrings: ~*Souzou Eien*~ - Tribal Gages* (spirals)
Piercings: LittleFish - Ezili Lip Ring Set for Catwa Daniel
Hairbase applier: Stealthic - Male hairbase
Brows: Avi-Glam - Logo Eyebrows (Omega applier)
Face applier: Stray Dog - Luca (buttermilk)
Body applier: L'Etre - Slink body appliers (buttermilk)
Head: Catwa - Daniel (Bento)
Body: Slink - Physique Male
Hands: Slink - Dynamic Male
Feet: Slink - Physique Flat Male
Poses: CheerNo Motion

*review copy

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 13

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 593 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.