The VaNiTy ThReAd

Wilhiam Hydraconis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 591 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 3/17/2019 at 10:22 AM, Orwar said:

You know those decadent, dark chocolate chip cookies that are so saturated with chocolate that within their crisp exterior they're sort of gooey? Those. 

You said those were for me!!! 😛

Spring is my favorite season, as it also happens to be my birthday. lol  

Credits on my blog  Here

LOTD 84.01 - First day of Spring.png

• Like 16

On 4/7/2019 at 1:29 AM, Elora Lunasea said:

Head

Woah, I was just thinking to myself that you must have done an absolutely amazing editing job as the skin detail couldn't possibly be shot raw. Then I saw the neck seam. Now I'm confused - do the heads actually look -that- good?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Orwar said:

Woah, I was just thinking to myself that you must have done an absolutely amazing editing job as the skin detail couldn't possibly be shot raw. Then I saw the neck seam. Now I'm confused - do the heads actually look -that- good?

Whatever's going on it's an amazing look..........🤔

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Orwar said:

That was a raw shot.I didn't notice it until afterwards and I was just too tired to care at that point :P

So yes, heads DO look that good. 

I was kind of bummed about the seam though once I noticed the next day - I have the same skin in a lighter tone for my main ava (that one above is an alt) and the seam never shows so I suppose it was due to the darker tone. I'll have to be a lot more careful with the lighting while shooting next time to avoid that!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Elora Lunasea said:

That was a raw shot.I didn't notice it until afterwards and I was just too tired to care at that point :P

I was kind of bummed about the seam though once I noticed the next day - I have the same skin in a lighter tone for my main ava (that one above is an alt) and the seam never shows so I suppose it was due to the darker tone. I'll have to be a lot more careful with the lighting while shooting next time to avoid that!

It's a beautiful shot, Elora (neck seam notwithstanding), and a lovely avatar. I'm assuming, from the rather shiny eyes, that it's a Genus head? What brand of skin is it?

I have been half-seriously considering putting together a list of things to check for before clicking "save" on the snapshot tool, because there are so many teeny little hard-to-see problems that show up after you've saved the shots, left your pose, put away the lights, etc. . . . neck seams and (in my case) hand seams being one of the more common ones. Also, applier clothing inadvertently left showing, clothes and hair clipping inappropriately, projector left visible in the background, alpha cuts needing adjusting, and (once, just recently!) someone wandering into the background of the pic without my noticing until almost too late.

They don't pay me enough. (They don't pay me at all.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It's a beautiful shot, Elora (neck seam notwithstanding), and a lovely avatar. I'm assuming, from the rather shiny eyes, that it's a Genus head? What brand of skin is it?

I have been half-seriously considering putting together a list of things to check for before clicking "save" on the snapshot tool, because there are so many teeny little hard-to-see problems that show up after you've saved the shots, left your pose, put away the lights, etc. . . . neck seams and (in my case) hand seams being one of the more common ones. Also, applier clothing inadvertently left showing, clothes and hair clipping inappropriately, projector left visible in the background, alpha cuts needing adjusting, and (once, just recently!) someone wandering into the background of the pic without my noticing until almost too late.

They don't pay me enough. (They don't pay me at all.)

Neck seams are generally very easy to edit out, and half impossible to avoid in-world. Neck fixes can occasionally be a slight improvement, but rarely look particularly good.

4 hours ago, Elora Lunasea said:

What got me reacting was the porous bump mapping of the skin; I know Genus has a porous map for their skin layer but I never seem to get it to work (playing around with the demos); I figured you'd taken a RL shot and sampled it for a realistic skin and spent a huuuuge amount of time and effort making it look pretty dang flawless. But if that's just the head, well, I've got a new demo on me now! Glad to see Genus now lets you take the demo home with you.

My main concern at the moment is that, as far as I can see, there's only one layer for each section of the head? I use a lot of layering on my Catwa head to get stuff looking nice, like, eyeshadow beneath the eyebrows layer, a solid black lipstick beneath my semi-transparent red lipstick, an eyeliner on top of the eyeshadow as most eyeshadows don't have that dark 'frame' outline that I like on Neph. Not sure if I'm missing anything though, two layers feels pretty standard (then again, I've always used Catwa - aaand a GA.EG head that I've never actually used).

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Neck seams are generally very easy to edit out, and half impossible to avoid in-world. Neck fixes can occasionally be a slight improvement, but rarely look particularly good.

Yes, fortunately it tends not to be a big problem for me, as I'm using Skinnery skins on both head and body. The very minor seam that sometimes shows is easy to eliminate or at least fudge in Photoshop.

My problem tends to be with my Vista hands, which seem to nearly always require some major tweaking in-world, despite coming with a skin tone that supposedly matches The Skinnery's system. Where the seam is showing (which it often isn't, because clothes), that requires an annoying amount of fiddling both in-world and in post-processing.

35 minutes ago, Orwar said:

What got me reacting was the porous bump mapping of the skin; I know Genus has a porous map for their skin layer but I never seem to get it to work (playing around with the demos); I figured you'd taken a RL shot and sampled it for a realistic skin and spent a huuuuge amount of time and effort making it look pretty dang flawless. But if that's just the head, well, I've got a new demo on me now! Glad to see Genus now lets you take the demo home with you.

My main concern at the moment is that, as far as I can see, there's only one layer for each section of the head? I use a lot of layering on my Catwa head to get stuff looking nice, like, eyeshadow beneath the eyebrows layer, a solid black lipstick beneath my semi-transparent red lipstick, an eyeliner on top of the eyeshadow as most eyeshadows don't have that dark 'frame' outline that I like on Neph. Not sure if I'm missing anything though, two layers feels pretty standard (then again, I've always used Catwa - aaand a GA.EG head that I've never actually used).

Yeah. As much as I like Genus, the whole layers thing is not particularly well thought-out, and the lack of multiple layers is a real annoyance. Presumably this is one of those things that BoM, if it ever actually happens, will render moot. And, possibly, it was in anticipation of its introduction that Genus didn't put more work into the layers. And yes, I like cat's eye with a subtle (or sometimes not-so-subtle) eye shadow, and that's difficult or impossible to achieve using the HUD tools as they stand.

I haven't entirely worked out the skin and wrinkle options for Genus: they seem to be on their own layer, but I haven't figured out how to blend them. I came close to resorting to the Genus group chat last night to find out, but ultimately decided the shot wasn't sufficiently close-up to make it worthwhile worrying about.

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

My problem tends to be with my Vista hands, which seem to nearly always require some major tweaking in-world, despite coming with a skin tone that supposedly matches The Skinnery's system. Where the seam is showing (which it often isn't, because clothes), that requires an annoying amount of fiddling both in-world and in post-processing.

Does The Skinnery not offer Omega body appliers? If so, then - together with the Omega relays/installers for Slink and Vista - you might find that easier than fudging around trying to match by eye.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Skell Dagger said:

Does The Skinnery not offer Omega body appliers? If so, then - together with the Omega relays/installers for Slink and Vista - you might find that easier than fudging around trying to match by eye.

Ah. I hadn't thought of applying the skin directly to the hands. Duh.

I'm not sure about Omega compatibility for either The Skinnery or Vista. I'll need to check next time I'm in-world. And I'd need to get a new copy of the skin, I guess, as the one I'm currently using is for Slink? (I think -- god this stuff can be confusing sometimes. I seriously don't know how you keep it all straight, Skell.)

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I seriously don't know how you keep it all straight, Skell.

It's the only part of me that is ;) But yeah, look to see if they have an Omega version of the body skin. Most stores have an option for that. You obviously got the Slink version first but I know you later became unhappy with Slink's hands, and thus switched to Vista. But an Omega skin should sort out the matching problem on the hands.

• Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 591 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.