The VaNiTy ThReAd

Wilhiam Hydraconis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 597 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Throwback Thursday?

This is one of the few pictures that survived the forum move.  Post-sculpty, pre-mesh. 

100930_002.png.430a782d82059eb5d873cd0cfa4058dc.png

Damselfly's Verona hair, LAQ's Tasha skin ... I do not remember who made the sweater dress and it is now long gone from inventory I'm sure.

Edited by Rhonda Huntress
  • Like 9

Out of interest, I have an outfit from a while back that I really loved at the time (this one, to save spamming any more pics today). I'd love to know what complexity that look is, since it was all feathers and froufrou, flexi and alphas. I'm going to try it on this weekend and report back ;)

ETA: It would seem that I used to walk around, silently screaming I KEEL ALL YOUR GPUS! because I just found another one that I want to check.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Out of interest, I have an outfit from a while back that I really loved at the time (this one, to save spamming any more pics today). I'd love to know what complexity that look is, since it was all feathers and froufrou, flexi and alphas. I'm going to try it on this weekend and report back ;)

ETA: It would seem that I used to walk around, silently screaming I KEEL ALL YOUR GPUS! because I just found another one that I want to check.

When I started cleaning my inventory after coming back, I was paying careful attention to CI values.  I found an absolutely beautiful dress, with lots of flexi and alphas, that came in a bit over 2 million.  I've saved that one.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

The best thing about SL feathers... they're hypoallergenic. :)

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

When I started cleaning my inventory after coming back, I was paying careful attention to CI values.  I found an absolutely beautiful dress, with lots of flexi and alphas, that came in a bit over 2 million.  I've saved that one.

"And then, in the age of megasupercomputers in every household, came the Great Complexity Contests of Second Life®. And all the land was laid low."

• Like 5

These were the pictures giving me a hissy fit last night. I had something different planned but it was not working for me. I think these turned out ok though.

5967add383711_HerOneWhoMustBeKept.thumb.jpg.45d177a960cffec466b745d00bdaae13.jpg

5967add4d1d52_HerOneWhoMustBeKept2.thumb.jpg.e5dfbe9155c01ca79dd9663ffcd72b69.jpg

Top pic

Hair ~ KoKoLoReS gift at Hair fair

Skin ~ new from .:Soul:. (this is Espresso, the previous pictures I posted was Coffee)

Eyes ~ new from Vengeful Threads

Manicure ~ new from Inevitable Madness (this is a new-to-me store and I'm tickled pink to be selected as a blogger for them)

Outfit ~ deviousMind (yep it's a gacha, but the pieces are commons!)

• Like 10

6 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

That will be because the cape replaces the epaulettes on your shoulders. Those look like they are alpha-layered, to give the effect of multiple gold threads, and alphas are more costly to render. If they're not alphas, but instead are individual threads, then that's even more costly to render. It's hard to tell from the pictures. The cape is a lot less render-intensive than the epaulettes, at any rate.

What are alpha layers and prim outfits? When I read about different forums here, some people talk about prim outfits and alpha layers. They tell me that prim outfits are better because they move more realistically or something like that. The epaulettes don't have individual threads. I've looked closely and they form circles. I see a lot of circles in them.

circles.png.1e87d4c2b1569c7cda8dec13024b9cf3.png

When I look closely at the cape, I see fewer circles.

circles.thumb.png.1fc513b4133148748b921815594c54e8.pngcircles.png.28c81455b2cd7d8712512c9ec5acaaef.png

7 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

Avatar complexity only affects your computer in that the higher the complexity of another avatar the more work your graphics card has to do in order to render them. Second Life has always been graphics-intensive (back in the day when I was inworld for hours and hours a day, every single day, I had to replace my gpu roughly every 1.5 - 2 years), but with the recent avatar complexity options in the viewer, Linden Lab gave residents a way to set a 'maximum complexity cap' at which other avatars would stop being rendered properly and instead would become solid coloured shapes, a bit like Jelly Baby sweets (hence the nickname they have, of 'jellydolls').

I didn't know you need to replace a graphics card. How do you replace a graphics card? Do you buy a program and download it to your computer?

6 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

That will be because the cape replaces the epaulettes on your shoulders. Those look like they are alpha-layered, to give the effect of multiple gold threads, and alphas are more costly to render. If they're not alphas, but instead are individual threads, then that's even more costly to render. It's hard to tell from the pictures. The cape is a lot less render-intensive than the epaulettes, at any rate.

What are alpha layers and prim outfits? When I read about different forums here, some people talk about prim outfits and alpha layers. They tell me that prim outfits are better because they move more realistically or something like that. The epaulettes don't have individual threads. I've looked closely and they form circles. I see a lot of circles in them.

circles.png.1e87d4c2b1569c7cda8dec13024b9cf3.png

When I look closely at the cape, I see fewer circles.

circles.thumb.png.1fc513b4133148748b921815594c54e8.pngcircles.png.28c81455b2cd7d8712512c9ec5acaaef.png

7 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

Avatar complexity only affects your computer in that the higher the complexity of another avatar the more work your graphics card has to do in order to render them. Second Life has always been graphics-intensive (back in the day when I was inworld for hours and hours a day, every single day, I had to replace my gpu roughly every 1.5 - 2 years), but with the recent avatar complexity options in the viewer, Linden Lab gave residents a way to set a 'maximum complexity cap' at which other avatars would stop being rendered properly and instead would become solid coloured shapes, a bit like Jelly Baby sweets (hence the nickname they have, of 'jellydolls').

I didn't know you need to replace a graphics card. How do you replace a graphics card? Do you buy a program and download it to your computer?

What does it mean "perm" in an outfit? Some clothes say that. This one is one of the examples. And what's the difference between perm clothes, alpha clothes, mesh clothes, and prim clothes?

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/MI-Rigged-Mesh-Mens-Captain-Pilot-Uniform-With-Pilot-Hat/7417182

Edited by EmperorNapoleonBonaparte

Napoleon, those epaulettes are alpha layers. All that means is that they have transparent sections.

42 minutes ago, EmperorNapoleonBonaparte said:

What does it mean "perm" in an outfit? Some clothes say that. This one is one of the examples. And what's the difference between perm clothes, alpha clothes, mesh clothes, and prim clothes?

Perm (sometimes 'full perm') means you have all available permissions: you can copy, modify, and transfer the item. Full permission items are usually made for other creators to buy and customise how they want before they sell them to their own customers (with some of the permissions removed).

Alpha clothes, as I explained above, have transparencies or 'see-through' sections.

Mesh clothes are those made in an external 3D program such as Maya or Blender. Mesh can be rigged to multiple bones in your avatar's skeleton so that it moves smoothly when you move, or unrigged, which means that it's not fixed to any bones. You can't edit rigged mesh or move it around, but you can edit unrigged mesh (assuming the permissions allow you to do so).

Prim clothes are made with the internal building tools that are available in the Second Life viewer.

In case you come across them, you may also find sculpt (or sculpted/sculpty) clothes. These are created using different external tools.

As to this:

1 hour ago, EmperorNapoleonBonaparte said:

A graphics card (or GPU = Graphics Processing Unit) is a piece of hardware inside your computer. To replace it, you need to buy a new card, open up your computer, remove the old card and replace it with the new one.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

Prim clothes are made with the internal building tools that are available in the Second Life viewer.

Ok, then I guess I made a prim clothing for a female hair without knowing that it was prim clothing. How do I put it in the marketplace? When I try, it asks for a payment method. How do I choose lindens? I don't have a credit card, debit card, or any type of stuff like that. It was an accessory that only fits the Henriette hairstyle by Yoohoo. I made it from a freebie hat that I found in a historical place.

The Henriette hair is shown in the pictures below. She is wearing the accessory that I made from a freebie hat that had all those flowers, feathers, and ribbons.

Snapshot_001.thumb.png.0a71ae0244bdc5ef66545a7be65fc172.png

girl.thumb.png.476f328f229b412364c5f2fe42546385.pnggirl.png.a066cd602edb241335a14a06b1c1b66a.pnggirl.png.59dec4d064ae911045d4d9965c5ff958.pnggirl.thumb.png.8c94c108186995917c1e450d8ba2d378.png

I was at a wedding, which was very lovely, but the bride had a complexity of around 300,000. I am sure it would have been even lovelier if I could actually have seen her.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, EmperorNapoleonBonaparte said:

How do I put it in the marketplace? When I try, it asks for a payment method. How do I choose lindens? I don't have a credit card, debit card, or any type of stuff like that.

From what I understand, to open a store in the marketplace you have to have payment information on file, and that information must be in the form of a credit card, or back debit card. Once upon a time you could use a prepaid debit card as you payment information, but that has since been changed.

41 minutes ago, EmperorNapoleonBonaparte said:

How do I put it in the marketplace? When I try, it asks for a payment method.

14 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

From what I understand, to open a store in the marketplace you have to have payment information on file, and that information must be in the form of a credit card, or back debit card. Once upon a time you could use a prepaid debit card as you payment information, but that has since been changed.

It must now be a credit card or a Verified PayPal account for US folks.  To get a PayPal account verified, it must be tied to a credit card or a bank account.  A bank debit card can be used to verify the PayPal account but cannot be used directly on your account.

ETA: One extra note, though not asked -- if a bank account or bank debit card is used and you want to use it to buy L$, then you must first fund the paypal account because LL will not wait for the funds to transfer from your bank to paypal.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

16 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

Ok, I never learned how to set up payment information, but from my guesses, all you do is fill up what the card in your hand is saying and match them up with the information on the screen. I never have a card because I don't have one, yet. I'm not at that age where you're an employee and have a stable job. That's about 7-10 years into my future. I haven't gotten a degree yet, but I'm about to embark my journey into my path of general education in college.

7 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It must now be a credit card or a Verified PayPal account for US folks.  To get a PayPal account verified, it must be tied to a credit card or a bank account.  A bank debit card can be used to verify the PayPal account but cannot be used directly on your account.

ETA: One extra note, though not asked -- if a bank account or bank debit card is used and you want to use it to buy L$, then you must first fund the paypal account because LL will not wait for the funds to transfer from your bank to paypal.

Ok, they sound like confusing steps. It sounds like that if you use your money from the card and buy something, you would never get the money back or the item you bought. That part that says LL will not wait for funds to transfer from bank to Paypal sounds like the money would be lost during the process when you never fill up your Paypal account. It sounds like if you use the money straight from the credit card, the money will be lost.

28 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

I was at a wedding, which was very lovely, but the bride had a complexity of around 300,000. I am sure it would have been even lovelier if I could actually have seen her.

You can right click her, click "render avatar," then click "always." After you finished looking at her, then you can right click her again, click "render avatar," and click "default." That's what I often do when I want to see what someone looks like.

36 minutes ago, EmperorNapoleonBonaparte said:

I'm not at that age where you're an employee and have a stable job. That's about 7-10 years into my future. I haven't gotten a degree yet, but I'm about to embark my journey into my path of general education in college.

Wow, I had my first full time job during college, at the age of 18.  I started my first part time job at the age of 15 and was averaging 25 hours per week during my last two years of high school.

34 minutes ago, EmperorNapoleonBonaparte said:

Ok, they sound like confusing steps. It sounds like that if you use your money from the card and buy something, you would never get the money back or the item you bought. That part that says LL will not wait for funds to transfer from bank to Paypal sounds like the money would be lost during the process when you never fill up your Paypal account. It sounds like if you use the money straight from the credit card, the money will be lost.

I've never lost any money. LL will not wait because it takes 2-3 days for a bank to send money to Paypal and LL wants their money at the time that you make a transaction.

If there was ever a reason to refund you money for a purchase or anything, you would get the money in L$ - it would not go directly back to your credit card or paypal.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Wow, I had my first full time job during college, at the age of 18.  I started my first part time job at the age of 15 and was averaging 25 hours per week during my last two years of high school.

Ok, I never had any jobs because I have to spend all my time studying. I don't have time for a job and I don't want to work in a fast food restaurant.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 597 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.