Jaime Radium

Fun SL survey, to help a poor grad student!

Hey All (thank the gods the forums are back!),

Would you do me the EXTREMELY AWESOME favor of taking this survey? I'm in kind of a bind, needing SL data for my master's thesis on a deadline and not being able to find anyone to take it.  I tried to make the survey as fun and painless as possible.  It asks questions about your avatar preferences, your activity in SL, and the viewer you use.

After I get enough responses, I'm also going to be doing some interviews and a focus group inworld (I need people for that too; PM me if you're interested).  Also, if you're interested in the results, let me know.

Jaime

PS: This is my little-used research alt -- the legal text on the survey had to have my real name in it >.<

EDIT: Feel free to comment here, too, of course...

Hi Jaime.  Hope all goes well.  Often requests for assistance with surveys are met with....cranky or frustrated responses.

I completed the survey for you.  (Didn't take long)  There were a few questions which were a bit vague, but overall not a bad survey.

Cheers!

Thanks Maureen.  Yeah... I know people don't like surveys, but I'm totally without budget on this one and don't have much choice as far as recruiting goes.  Apologies in advance to everyone -- I hope it's at least semi-relevant spam!

I did your survey as well.

There were a few questions where the choice for an answer was Yes or No.

Most of my answers to those question would have been "maybe", "sometimes", if that had been an option.

(Finally, a chance to test the macro feature!)

"Similarly, some of the first educators and researchers in SL were a bit clumsy in their approach. There were early incidents in which Residents felt—rightly—that they were being spied upon or treated like guinea pigs rather than human beings. Imagine how you would feel if an entire class of students set up right next to your vacation hideaway, left trash lying around, logged your conversations, and posted them on the Internet with criticism and mean-spirited comments. This is exactly what happened to some early Residents. Things have improved greatly in the years since then, but sometimes SL Residents are still subject to that kind of inconsiderate behavior. For example, a constant stream of researchers (often students) posts on the Second Life official forums requesting that Residents please take their surveys. Most of these surveys include the same questions that have been asked over and over. Often they aren't spell-checked, or refer to SL as a game—a sure way to irritate a substantial number of Residents. Some Residents make a hobby of critiquing these surveys, pointing out how the questions and their wording make it clear that the researcher isn't familiar with Second Life. Some post outright that they are sick of badly planned surveys and suggest that the researchers log in and do their own research. "
From The Second Life Grid: The official guide ro commuinication, collaboration, and community engagement
by Kimberly Rufer-Bach
ISBN: 978-0-470-41291-6

Thanks for that -- something for my lit review :)

(I've been around for a while, but can't get my inworld friends to take it because we're too similar... what can you do. I'm sorry if I made you feel objectified.)

Done..one question needed a both option:smileywink:

Are you more interested in future possibilities or respected traditions?

Future possibilities

Respected traditions

You rock, Argus.  Yeah, I've noticed since posting that a few of the either/or questions might've been better as scales. Apologies; the next iteration will be better, I hope.

Cheers!

Ohhh I liked your shiny little survey.

Hope my responses helped.  I was sad you had a category for furrys but none for faeries

*flies off feeling slightly neglected and looking for pie 

Jaime Radium wrote:

About how much time do you spend in SL?
  • Less than two hours per week
  • 2-4 hours per week
  • 4-6 hours per week
  • 6-8 hours per week
  • More than 8 hours per week

I have a feeling your weekly estimates will barely cover some people's daily time online. :)

This seems rather well done compared to other SL surveys I've looked at, so I took it. My first... yes, I was an SL survey virgin and you've taken it from me. smoking-005.gif

...Dres

And this is the downside of having an off topic forum. As if it's not enough that you guys call me when I'm sitting in the bathtub. "Would you mind participating in a short survey?" Like hell I do.

I took it too - its probably the best of the surveys I have taken in that you obviously are familiar with the SL culture and it shows.   A category for fantasy avatars would have been handy (fairies, mermaids and the like).