Honored Avatars

Boy Lane

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1207 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Nika Talaj wrote:

Suella Ember wrote:

... See, you are actually highlighting right there the problem with ranks...They should judge each comment on its own merits. The problem with ranks, as I see it, is not that they cause people to ignore those of lower ranks (I don't actually belive that really happens much). The problem is that it seeds this idea of division

Yes, as you say, there are multiple problems with ranking.  But I don't share your belief that people don't pay attention to them.  I believe that LL and the companies that create website software like this platform have done their research, so I tend to think that social research done about DIGG and Yahoo and other sites that use ranking probably concludes that users asking questions pay attention to rankings.  I'm sure LL views rankings as a tool that can help make this site more self-managing.  I further believe that, rankings being akin to The Love Machine in that both are reputation management tools, LL would never consider disabling that feature here.

Suella Ember wrote:   if you start to feel like that you are never going to feel happy in any forum.

Fortunately, this hasn't been a problem for me, but thank you for your concern.  For example, n SL's older forums, I was fairly active from Jan 2007 until their closure.

OldPostCount.jpg

Over half my posts were answers to questions such as those now in SL Answers and the Content fora.  Ah well, good times!

Nowadays I'm fairly happy at SLU.  And, outside of SL, I've managed to be content on a technical forum or two. :smileywink:

But, although the software platform is improved, I think LL's increasing dependence on popularity as a measure of value is too distasteful to spend a lot of time here.  I will drop by to ask questions, and for every question I ask I'll try to answer a few.  Have fun, all you regulars!

*waves to Nika*

You made me go look for my listing from Resident Answers :)

Maureens Resident Answer Profile info.png

Honored am I, with my vast accumulation of 13 (now 14!  woot, maybe I'll make Advisor!) posts to the Flogs, and probably something around 200 posts on the old old forums.

Rankings would only be cool if they came with L$ prize money.

btw, is there any way to make this shiny new forum thingie any less ugly?

Suella Ember wrote:

Personally though, I'm largely ignoring the ranks. I prefer to judge people on the quality of what they say and do and I ask people to judge me the same way rather than what is written as my 'rank'. 

I don't have time to judge you on the quality of what you say... I'm far too busy being delicious.cool0041.gif

...Dres

Nika Talaj wrote:

Nowadays I'm fairly happy at SLU.

That's quite understandable... I've been a infrequent lurker there for a while now (infrequent at least until they closed this forum) and decided to make my first (introduction) post the day this forum opened back up.  So I'll be spending more time there in the future... it's nice to be able to talk about whatever the f#*k you want.

...Dres

Nika Talaj wrote:

Hmmm.  "Honored Resident" is not listed in the
.  I imagine that it is the same as "Resident", though. 

I believe there are 3 stages (maybe 4) for each rank. I've seen 3 so far.  Entry level is "resident" then recognized resident, followed by honored resident. Most people with any past forum history started out as honored residents. These are the yellow/orange icons.

Blue is next and then pink. More to come...

Ranks

Ok, back to the topic. What makes a "Honored Resident" honoured?

It can not be the number of postings as we have some "Honored" ones amongst ourselves in the single digit range of postings, up to the thousands.

It can not be the activity in the old forums, since at least I dropped out a long time ago when the older forums were closed.

Is it perhaps the age of an avatar when she or he made a first posting in any of the old or older forums?

I would feel honoured if someone could spread some light on our awesomeness :)

Thanks Avatar Moderator, whoever you may be, honored or not ;)

Boy Lane wrote:

Is it perhaps the age of an avatar when she or he made a first posting in any of the old or older forums?

I would feel honoured if someone could spread some light on our awesomeness
:)

I have to admit to being curious too.  Perhaps it is the old age thingy.  Just for fun I went back to the old-old SL forums and dug up my AV with a join date of 2006.  Perhaps people could post when they first joined to see if there is any correlation.

impish stoic

Finora Kuncoro wrote:

Boy Lane wrote:

I would feel honoured if someone could spread some light on our awesomeness
:)

I have to admit to being curious too.  Perhaps it is the old age thingy.  Just for fun I went back to the old-old SL forums and dug up my AV with a join date of 2006.  Perhaps people could post when they first joined to see if there is any correlation.

impish stoic

The ranks and roles section of the FAQ explains that "Participation" determines what your status is.

If you look on your profile you will see your statistics.

The algorithm and variables used to determine you Participation Score is a closely guarded secret.

LL may use 2,5 or 10, or any number of those variable (that *we* can see) to use in the algorithm equation.

And they can change them at will if they think people have figured it out.

We can have display names in world, though you have a name already you can choose to have another.

I want the same thing for ranks. I don't want a rank given to me by an automatic system, there is nothing there I want to rank for. So please give me a displacy name for my batch, so I can call myself  'creator' or 'sculpt maker' or some like that.

I've also noticed that if you started a topic you would easily reach the Honored status even if you are a 'newbie'. My guess is that ranking a resident has become a computerized auto system after they went live with Lithium with the ability to change the threshold limit at any time depending on the patterns of the forum contributors. We are after all still at the beginninng and to define a clear set rules for ranking would probably (and usually) happens after the fact. 

What takes hand before Lithium went live, I'm assuming, was handled .. errmmm... 'organically'. :smileyvery-happy:

I looked at the ranking system and read up on it to see if I find something about how it actually works. I mean, from the description given it seems like the ranks are closely tied to the quality of the answer and not the quantity what of course would be difficult for a automated system to decide on.

But anything quantity based and automated is not only easy to game, but also does not have any connection to the actual activity the person posting is doing on the forums.

So I am slightly confused by all this at the moment and only wait for the first people who develop the idea that a certain rank makes them more 'right' then others. They will for sure show up soon and when people talked about some sort of 'forum elite' in the old forum (I have never seen any elite ever existing there) they will for sure see a alleged elite develop here even sooner.

It might be too soon considered that the forum has only been open a few days to say much, but I would rather file the 'ranks' as one of the not so good ideas implemented by LL.

/presses the *post*-button and goes right into the 'never-to-get-a-higher-rank-for-LL-biting'-bin  :smileytongue:

i'm not bothered by rankings .....as long as i have the ability to post on all of the Forums. I'm not interested in contributing to Knowledge base articles or replying in the Answers section to accumulate these brownie points.

I guess i'll forever be a Honoured Resident :smileytongue:.......which is fine!

Yes and no. I assume there is no real algorithm behind the whole thing. Old AV's that at some time posted in one of the old forums and did not piss off a Linden got that status granted. Independently of the amount of posts, purely on age. I posted a bit in the very old forums, not much in the old forums, and this is my only contribution here after I was honoured.

So I call this bull**bleep**.

Boy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1207 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.