Honored Avatars

Boy Lane

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1206 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello World!

Oh wait...that was something else.

I just want to welcome myself and all the other "Honored Avatars" in this amazingly revived forum here, and this new general board poised to be, of course :)

One minor question, how many of you undead residents have become "honored" as myself, and secondly, will this privilege be canceled if we start posting here again?

Boy 

I don't know for certain, but I think that they might have given people who were previously relatively active on the old forums the 'honoured resident' rank (yes I'm spelling it the UK way! :) )

They have also given some other people different ranks based on activity in the old forums. For example they apparently think I'm an advisor (which is very flattering given that I mostly advise about cheese :) ) Irene has got a 'Helper' rank (which is right given her endless work in the old SL Answers) 

Details of the ranks and roles are here and you can progress up the ranks depending on your activity here:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/ranksroles#ranksroles

(which is apparently based on an algorithm that has more to it than simply number of posts)

Personally though, I'm largely ignoring the ranks. I prefer to judge people on the quality of what they say and do and I ask people to judge me the same way rather than what is written as my 'rank'. 

Related:

The previous system had a JIRA requesting removal the system of points ( https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/WEB-1498 ).

In this new system, there is a JIRA requesting to be removed the "Ranks" and their permission to act in one way or another on the forums according to your rank.

Suella Ember wrote:

Details of the ranks and roles are here and you can progress up the ranks depending on your activity here:

I was so hoping you found a different FAQ than the one I had already posted in the 6th response to this thread, but I suppose it is good that you reposted it, given your status as "Advisor".  People who DO pay attention to titles are, I suppose, more likely to accept information from an Advisor than a mere Honored Resident.

/sighs and leaves.  Really, all that reputation management engines do is impoverish sites like this.  People who are potentially helpful notice that they are being ignored in favor of ubiquitous 'answerers', and take themselves elsewhere.

Nika Talaj wrote:

Suella Ember wrote:

I was so hoping you found a different FAQ than the one I had already posted in the 6th response to this thread, but I suppose it is good that you reposted it, given your status as "Advisor".  People who DO pay attention to titles are, I suppose, more likely to accept information from an Advisor than a mere Honored Resident.

/sighs and leaves.  Really, all that reputation management engines do is impoverish sites like this.  People who are potentially helpful notice that they are being ignored in favor of ubiquitous 'answerers', and take themselves elsewhere.

Um - ok.

See, you are actually highlighting right there the problem with ranks and it's precisely the reason why I don't really like them. No-one should necessarily take my or anyone elses advice over someone else. They should judge each comment on its own merits. The problem with ranks, as I see it, is not that they cause people to ignore those of lower ranks (I don't actually belive that really happens much). The problem is that it seeds this idea of division and causes people to get upset as you did there. Thats why I don't like ranks - it's the undercurrent of division they create, even if that division is not really there in reality.

It's really sad if you feel you were 'ignored' but if you start to feel like that you are never going to feel happy in any forum. Stuff like this happens all the time. I missed that you had already posted that link. That happens all the time. Sometimes people are posting basically the same answer at the same time. It's no biggie. Don't fret over it. Just keep posting helpful comments and advice and if someone else posts the same advice just shrug it off - it' happens all the time.

Most importantly of all though - just ignore the ranks. Pretend they don't even exist and just judge people on what they say and do and hope that others judge you in the same way :)

Frankly, there would be only two things that would probably cause some concerns to me.

- people who thinks they don't belong to the rank they are in now and therefore feeling left out or unimportant. This will discouraged them from helping out or worst, taking it out on other unsuspecting residents.

- living up to the rank bestowed by the powers that be.

Willow Danube wrote:

Frankly, there would be only two things that would probably cause some concerns to me.

- people who thinks they don't belong to the rank they are in now and therefore feeling left out or unimportant. This will discouraged them from helping out or worst, taking it out on other unsuspecting residents.

- living up to the rank bestowed by the powers that be.

Oi... nobody said I had to live up to anything...

Did they???

*trembles

Suella Ember wrote:

... See, you are actually highlighting right there the problem with ranks...They should judge each comment on its own merits. The problem with ranks, as I see it, is not that they cause people to ignore those of lower ranks (I don't actually belive that really happens much). The problem is that it seeds this idea of division

Yes, as you say, there are multiple problems with ranking.  But I don't share your belief that people don't pay attention to them.  I believe that LL and the companies that create website software like this platform have done their research, so I tend to think that social research done about DIGG and Yahoo and other sites that use ranking probably concludes that users asking questions pay attention to rankings.  I'm sure LL views rankings as a tool that can help make this site more self-managing.  I further believe that, rankings being akin to The Love Machine in that both are reputation management tools, LL would never consider disabling that feature here.

Suella Ember wrote:   if you start to feel like that you are never going to feel happy in any forum.

Fortunately, this hasn't been a problem for me, but thank you for your concern.  For example, n SL's older forums, I was fairly active from Jan 2007 until their closure.

OldPostCount.jpg

Over half my posts were answers to questions such as those now in SL Answers and the Content fora.  Ah well, good times!

Nowadays I'm fairly happy at SLU.  And, outside of SL, I've managed to be content on a technical forum or two. :smileywink:

But, although the software platform is improved, I think LL's increasing dependence on popularity as a measure of value is too distasteful to spend a lot of time here.  I will drop by to ask questions, and for every question I ask I'll try to answer a few.  Have fun, all you regulars!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1206 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.