Fix the filters/categories in marketplace

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3356 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is LL ever going to add some of the much-needed filters and categories to marketplace? And maybe fix up the existing ones so they actually work properly?

- Right now you can't even select more than one category at once, unlike pretty much every other e-shopping site out there. What if you want to search for both "platform heels" and "boots"? You gotta open two tabs for that, seriously? Or if you want to display stuff from 100-500L and 500L-1000L, you gotta open multiple tabs for that too

- You can't search for exact matches on keywords. If you want to search for stuff that has BOTH THE KEYWORDS "heel" and "black" you're out of luck, because for some reason the engine only recognizes "heel" OR "black", so you end up with results of every single black-coloured item in the marketplace and every single pair of heels

- Mesh has been out for years and there's STILL no "rigged mesh", "fitted mesh" or "non-rigged mesh" category, is this for real? In fact I'd say even make an entire section on mesh-only stuff for those of us who couldn't give a rat's arse about non-mesh stuff. It's pretty much impossible to search for mesh-only clothing in marketplace. Wanna search for a mesh bikini? Type in "mesh bikini" in the search engine and 90% of your results end up being NON-MESH stuff that somehow has the keyword "mesh" in it

- Add some more categories for all the shoppers' sake. You have niche categories like "toys/video game memoraphilia" and "contraband" (lol wtf?) yet there are no categories for mesh bodies/body parts, appliers, stoles/ponchos/shawls, leg/arm garters, or headbands/horns?

You can use Boolean operators (AND, OR, NOT) in Marketplace search to improve your chances of getting the matches you want. They have to be typed in uppercase for the search to parse them as operators and not part of the string to be searched.

eg. "heels AND black" or "jacket NOT demo" 

Very useful, and it'd be even more useful if it actual mentioned that somewhere on the MP.

I'd be the first to admit that the category system needs a total overhaul. My personal bugbear is the nonsense of which categories various body parts should be in. Hair? That's an Avatar Accessory, like a handbag or a belt. So are genitals. Not Avatar Components, a category which includes skin and eyes, but not ears. Then there's Avatar Appearence, which is a grab bag of 'all of the above'.

Further rantings: why does searching for an item bring back sellers with a name that happens to match that item? Search for 'robin' and you'll get robins, robin's-egg blue clothing, Robin Hood costumes and... things made by people called Robin. Not useful, LL; especially when there's a separate search for store/vendor name. The same goes for searches that bring back hits based on random crap in the item description, including things like "this item does not include mesh" when searching for mesh *facepalm*

CadenzaInVivace wrote:

- Mesh has been out for years and there's STILL no "rigged mesh", "fitted mesh" or "non-rigged mesh" category, is this for real? In fact I'd say even make an entire section on mesh-only stuff for those of us who couldn't give a rat's arse about non-mesh stuff. It's pretty much impossible to search for mesh-only clothing in marketplace. Wanna search for a mesh bikini?
Type in "mesh bikini" in the search engine and 90% of your results end up being NON-MESH stuff that somehow has the keyword "mesh" in it

Interesting. As a matter of fact I made this exact search last week. And I'd say that 90% of my results were.... (wait for it...) mesh bikinis.

Kelli May wrote:

You can use Boolean operators (AND, OR, NOT) in Marketplace search to improve your chances of getting the matches you want. They have to be typed in uppercase for the search to parse them as operators and not part of the string to be searched.

eg. "heels AND black" or "jacket NOT demo"

jacket NOT demo returns 8412 items.

jacket NOT shoe returns 8357 items.

The latter search even returned items where there was no "jacket" word anywhere in the product. What I noticed is that the search looks also in the product page's related items description for the word "jacket".

Ufff.... shopping is a real pain in the Marketplace due to the poor search, poor categorization - and keyword spam which has gone rampant. :smileysad:

Any Linden who is allowed to touch the Marketplace, should have a compulsory one month shopping spree period when they must search extensively in the Marketplace and buy various kinds of items from there every single day. Every day they would be handed a list of things what they should find and buy. Naturally the wording would not be an exact product description. Just something like "black mens' mesh shoes", "mesh bikinis", "flowing gown", "mesh body", "small cottage", etc.

That would teach them something useful. :matte-motes-big-grin:

Would be really Nice to be able to have better specific searches like i want to shop for only mesh apparel only or mesh avatar acessories hopefully some day mp has better catagories

Also something that would be a hugely significant help would be to have a catagory just for demo's so when you search for things like L$0 - L$5 a million demos don't show up anymore

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3356 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.