Question for people about modifying objects

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4782 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This doesn't really go into the "building" category, but I'm not sure where to ask it.

My avatar is a little heavier than most, not buy much, but I'm just not a stick figure. Anyway, it's frustrating that I constantly buy things that don't fit, and stretching/resizing them doesn't help.

For example, I bought this great belt. It's too small and mostly inside my stomach. So I resize it using a script, or I just edit it and stretch it out.  Either result is the same. When I make it big enough so I can actually see it in the front, then it's waaaay too wide on the sides. When I try to take it in on the sides, then it's too small in the front and back. Changing the position doesn't help. What I usually end up doing is compromising some, so that part of the object is colliding with something else.

What I really need to do is warp it's shape a little, not just resize it. Is there any way to do this?

Prim attachments can be frustrating sometimes both for consumers and creators, just due to the wonderful diversity of avatars. It's hard to create prim clothing that will reliably fit everyone and mostly they get targeted to a few basic shapes.

It sounds like what you are doing is editing the full object and resizing it all at once. For multiprim objects, the only edit 'handles' available are the corners, (the gray ones at the outer corners of the object' and they will only adjust the item in all 3 dimensions at once, so what you wind up with is a bigger object with the same overall proportions, which leads to the ill fit you are describing.

Since you are able to edit the object at all, what you can do is tackle the thing prim by prim. This is a much more involved process and easier to mess something up, which is why if your object has 'copy' permissions I would recommend you make a copy of the item to make adjustments to so that you have the original in your inventory to go back to in case you goof. The individual prims can be resized on each axis independently, so you will be able to make finer adjustments to the fit. You might have to move some of the attachments (buckles, straps, studs, etc) around a bit to make it look right again, and since you will be working with small objects it won't be the easiest thing ever, but it can be done, and actually doesn't make a bad intro to learning how things fit together in SL.

To get down to the 'prim level' on the object, select it, edit and in the 'build' box, click the selection for "edit linked prims" (I think that's how it's phrased, I don't have SL up right now). Then select just the prims you want to edit and go to work. If you made a working copy of the object to make adjustments to, you will have plenty of latitude to mess up so don't be overly nervous about it. If you mess up unrecoverably (ctrl-z can be your friend), delete that copy and copy the orignal again and start over. If this is your first excursion into editing individual parts of a multi-prim object you might find it easier to start with something that is only a few prims just to get the hang of using the editing functions.

Alternatively, you may try contacting the creator and see if he/she might be able to help you fit the object. Some smaller scale creators have the time and ability to do custom fitting and some don't, so that's not guaranteed, but it's worth a shot. Be friendly and polite, and try to understand if a busy content creator just has too much on their plate to fulfill your request.

Hope that helps.

The short answer is not easily.  Once an object has been created by linking multiple prims together, it can only be proportionally resized.  Meaning that all the linked prims must maintain their current proportions as the object is sized.  To "warp" the shape, you would need to unlink all the prims, resize the ones that you want, move the rest around and then relink the object. 

Hope that helps.

--Cinn

You can certainly try all of the suggestions posted so far.  Unfortunately, none of them will really make your belt fit all the time. I have been making clothing for a long time, and have learned that it's not enough to make a prim attachment that looks good when you are on a pose stand.  As soon as you move (twist, stretch, bend, sit down, dance ....) the orientation of the attachment will shift.  Your belt will dig into your body on one side and hang off the other with a big gap.  Just do the best you can, using the suggestions posted here, and don't expect perfection.

BTW, if you are building your own belt and the design allows it,  consider making your belt with a torus that deliberately has a hole smaller than your waist.  That way, unless you move a lot, there is never a huge gap between the belt and your body.  Also, wear your belt as close to the actual attachment point as possible, so that there is very little relative movement as you twist.

I'm assuming that it's a belt with multiple attachments. I resize the belt, then move the attachments. 1 - Get on your posing stand and resize the belt so the buckle is correctly placed and all of the parts are outside your body. You want the belt to be too big for now. 2 - In the Edit object window, make sure "Edit Linked parts" is selected AND make sure "Stretch both sides" is NOT selected. 3 - Select the main belt part - the circle. Then press CTRL Shift to activate the size editing. Resize the circle by moving the cubes on the sides of the bounding box (colored red, green or blue) towards your body until the circle fits pretty well 4 - One attachment at a time, select all the parts for that attachment (belt loop, chain loop, knife and sheath, whatever). Move that attachment into position on the belt, and adjust the angle so it's not buried in your body.

Thanks people, I'm able to edit the linked prims individually, but it still doesn't help. The bottom line is, the belt is very much an oval shape, and I need more of a circle shape. But that trick might work on other attachments. I will remember it.

Too many people who make attachments assume everyone is anorexic thin (true in most cases, but not all).

• Like 1

"The bottom line is, the belt is very much an oval shape, and I need more of a circle shape." If it's an OVAL, you just need to push two sides towards the center of the oval to make it rounder. Or pull the too-narrow part out. I can't tell you which color cubes it will be, because that depends on how the belt was made, but select "edit linked prims", and hold down the CTRL and SHIFT keys (or select "Stretch" on the build menu). You should see a pale gray cube surrounding the belt part, with white cubes in the corners and red, green, or blue cubes in the center of the sides. The white cubes affect over-all size. The colored cubes will push or pull their side of the object. Adjust the belt's oval to be more circular, then move the attachments. CTRL-Z will undo your latest edit.

Hi Kerri;  Yeah it seems we all have that problem with items not fitting quite right. I once bought a skirt, dont ask me where, that had three versions. Booty, Big Booty and Biggest Booty :smileyhappy: I was thrilled that the creator took the time and effort to allow for different avatar shapes.

I have a friend inworld, and her avatar is also not stick shaped, she is constantly struggling with purchases that don't fit right that she has to tweak.

In my case, if its say a pair of boots that I just love and spent a ton on Linden for, then I may downsize my calf size for the time i am wearing those particular boots. So, adjusting a particular body part temporarily can be an option.

I sympathise with you Kerri. My avatar is kinda top heavy lol...and finding prim/sculpt jackets to fit her is a nightmare.

I am an experienced builder and even i have problems. Just try to tweak it as much as you can by choosing "edit linked parts" and have lots of patience.......the advice given by the others is good :-)

Cait

PS. i would maybe try hollowing the main belt prim more....see if that helps...also rotating it slightly so is lower at the front than the back can sometimes help.

I avoid belts who have lots of small prims on the back and sides. If it's only decorated in the front, and the rest plain leather, it is more easy to edit linked prims, grab just the leather part, uncheck stretch both sides and start to adjust it. Ahhh, it is bliss to adjust manually! <3

I bought a belt in Sey that had 2 different forms - one for wider hips and one for big booty! I also like the belts from COCO. PM (Pixel Mode) also has a nice belt. And Luck Inc... they make clothes for curvy avatars, their models have a nice pinup shape. No man hips there! 

I have this same problem.  I've been curvy, with actual hips and a butt, since day one.  I constantly have to adjust prim skirts to fit over the curve of my booty and often have to resort to rotating the entire skirt so that its a bit lower in the front than the back.  Even the skirts with resizer scripts are hit and miss.  So far, I've found one skirt that fit me perfectly "out of the box" from CoG.  The skirt I was messing with last night took me about an hour or so to adjust, using both the resizer script and doing it manually.  I had to stretch the belt a bit, using the "edit linked parts", and then had to move a few of the skirt prims and rotate them a bit to fit over the curve.

As an aside, I love clothing creators that sell their stuff as mod/copy.  I don't mind no trans, if I can get it to fit.  I did once get a skirt prim that was  no mod, so I simply sent a notecard to the creator. Not only did she send me the mod prim, she sent me the same outfit in a different color!  Needless to say, I am a patron of her store quite often, and send people there all the time.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4782 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.