You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3718 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Seeing these new forums here this'll probably be removed sometime, but it is on topic since this particular spam I'm posting is highly entertaining.

So, anyway, one might have heard of this BanClone thing some places run. Now this is supposed to help "protect you against Identity Theft", but thinks that sending you unrequested messages, in bulk, is the way to do it.

Redacted copy/paste:

BanClone Alert! This message is to warn you that a resident called <legacy name> is using a Display Name of <display name>, which is the same as or very similar to your name (edit: legacy name) , at <location>, <region>. To learn more about how BanClone can protect you against Identity Theft and other malicious use of the controversial Display Names feature in Second Life, please visit our web site at http://www.slysense.com/banclone

(The particular case could be compared to when one of the 100s of Peppermint's on SL would change their display name to 'Pepper Mint'.. if the display name 'Pepper Mint' walks into an area with banclone, the username Pepper Mint will be spammed with the same message I pasted above)

This IM was not send to the same account of mine (whose identify purportedly was in jeopardy) just once, but nine times during a 30 minute timespan.  I never asked BanClone or its owner to care about my identify. I certainly did not ask it to spam me whenever it felt my identify was in jeopardy.

I'm left wondering just how being spammed by an object that sometime might have scanned me for my UUID protects me against anything at all. :womanindifferent:

I utterly fail to see how it would be protecting you at all. I think it might even be a Community Standards violation as either Harassment ("...or is otherwise likely to cause annoyance or alarm is Harassment.") or Disturbing the Peace ("...repeated transmission of undesired advertising content ... or inhibit another Resident's ability to enjoy Second Life are examples of Disturbing the Peace.").

Thanks for the chuckle.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3718 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.