ok i have a friend we chat in IM's all of a sudden we cant communicate

JakeDeid

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3390 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

have a friend we chat through IM's all of a sudden we cant communicate not in private IM's and not in open chat but we can in a group IM we are friends on eachothers friends list but for some reason we just cant communicate together unless its in a group chat i can stand in front of her and type in local and she dosent see it but if we are in a group chat she can answer me we both have since done a clean reinstall and still the same problem it dosent effect anyone else on our friends list just us

12 answers to this question

Ah. I didn't see that. Sorry. Hmmmm.... That pretty much exhausts the normal reasons for a failure to communicate, especially since you did a clean install. Unless someone else pops in here with a better idea, all I can suggest is submitting a support case (if you are a Premium member).

The problem is that Basic members (like you and me) don't have access to those technical support case categories (See http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Types_of_Support_Case ). That's one of the things that Premium members pay for. What puzzles me is that you're only having trouble communicating with each other, not with anyone else. The only explanation that makes any sense is that you have muted each other. If you have checked your Mute lists and that's not what's happening, I have absolutely no idea.

No, generally a griefer has no ability to interfere with IM or pIM communications. Well in the case of public IMs of course a griefer can SPAM the chat till it's useless but there is nothing like that that happens when using pIMs [Private IMs]

OK here is a weird fix. I have had the following happen where the person that I was chatting with and I were summarily kicked from our SL sessions and left in limbo. This happened even thought we were on different Regions. We both needed to clear our local cache in order to be able to IM with each other again. Apparently we both received a malformed IM from the SL Comm Servers that routed through the Servers we were both in that killed us.

• Like 1

OK Thanks Karen not sure what has happened i cleared mine my friend didnt all of a sudden she had about 2 hours worth of me saying ... you there can you see me can you read this.... etc

so we seem to be back in communication thank you both for your help

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3390 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.