Sign in to follow this  
Ewen Troughton

Mesh Viewer to Live Grid

More importantly, when are we getting 64m prim dimensions?

(I have zero confidence that we'll see Mesh this quarter, and don't really expect it for next quarter either.  I'm convinced the team is working very hard on it, but TBH, it doesn't seem any more ready now than it did when it first hit Aditi.)

Qie Niangao wrote:

More importantly, when are we getting 64m prim dimensions?

Yes, a lot of us want to know the answer to that one!

After wandering Mesh City on the beta grid for some hours, loking at all the stuff on display there , I wonder what's sooooo great about mesh?

Imho Mesh is being widely overestimated.

Jeannie

I am also curious what the status of the beta is I'm not looking for a release date, but some info on how well the beta is going and what remains to be done before it comes to the main grid would be nice.

Jean Horten wrote:

After wandering Mesh City on the beta grid for some hours, loking at all the stuff on display there , I wonder what's sooooo great about mesh?

Imho Mesh is being widely overestimated.

Jeannie

Look at mesh in wire frame mode. A mesh will be a thousand times more efficient than any sculpty. Plus, you can combine UV maps to make efficient textures. Plus, we'll have custom faces. Plus, more detailed models. Plus, custom avatars whose whole body moves with the animation with only 1 attachment. Plus, it seems custom avatars fix height issues with animation. Plus, we'll have much more efficient use of prims. Plus, each mesh object can have accurate physics.

The biggest reason all creators should consider learning how to make mesh, is that you will be making professional content that can be used in almost any game. Mesh is huge. Now if we could actually get it to the main grid, cause it does nothing at all for any of us to play with it on Aditi. If anything, Mesh City makes mesh look bad.

For mesh to be widely adopted, the V2.5 codebase must also be widely adopted.  You cannot just say "Here's a Yougus!" to every viewer on the planet and expect them to draw it when they have no idea how to handle a Yougus object.  To have mesh, you have to have viewers out there that can display mesh.  And with the round rejection of LL's Viewer (although it's far better now than the original 2.0) and customer's utter refusal to move off the 1.23 codebase, the mesh integration project has been stalled.

What I would do in this case is create a 2.6 viewer that goes back to the 1.23 UI for certain things.  The Communicate window was fine - my screen covered in 12 seperate windows in an average night is not fine.  Being able to click on a profile and drag something onto it to give them something was fine.  Web profiles which I cannot drop items on is not fine.  Keep the improvements under the hood but give back some of the UI we loved in 1.23 and which made SL usable. 

Make the 2.6 viewer and slap the code out there for all the TPV folks to work with.  And then say that between 3 and 6 months from now, only V2 viewers will be able to work in SL.  Give the TPV folks a chance to create V2.6 viewers and make it clear that the days of 1.23 are numbered.  Then you will get more viewer 2 acceptance than you have now and will be able to have mesh.  People are creatures of habit and won't move off of 1.23 until a) the UI returns to at least similar functionality to 1.23 that they use now, and b) it is made clear that they won't be able to login with the 1.23 in a few months.

I absolutely detested viewer 2 when it first came out.  Now, however, I like most of it.  not everything, but most of it -- I get great FPS and crashing is nonexistant.  Roll back the IM's to a single Communicate window again and permit folks to resize how big the sidebar is, and you'll be able to tell the stalward refuseniks to "Try it -- you'll like it."  Viewer 2.5 is to 2.0 what a modern Ford Focus is to a Model T.  2.0 was junk -- 2.5 rocks.  But until the TPV is putting stuff out on the 2.5 codebase and a deadline for modernization isn't made public, most people won't bother to try it because the vile taste of 2.0 still lingers in their mouths. 

My personal perfect viewer would have only the inventory as a sidebar item.  All IMs, landmarks, Friends lists, they would all be in a SECOND daughter window.  That way people with big computers can have the two on two monitors, thus not cluttering up the world picture.  And folks with laptops would have the two one on top of the other and just toggle back and forth as needed (tabs would light up on the second window to show a message; having the world window just a little lower than the communication window would let me see the tabs at all times.)  But this is my personal view based on how I use SL both on my main computer and on my laptop.