Racism in Second Life?

5 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

I suspect that most women will have no problem with you once you demonstrate that your brain cell count is higher than your age.

To be fair if he isn't one of those caricatures, his avi will most likely already look slightly different ;) Enough nuances those with enough brain cells will notice - spares him talking to caricatures of blondes.

In short: a win - win situation despite not looking like one in the first place

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, AyelaNewLife said:

A large number - but certainly not all - of the black male avatars in SL are walking caricatures of the "big dick brutha from da hood banging all dem white hoes" racist stereotype. Some people are into that kind of roleplay, and fair play to them; but it gets so tiring for the rest of us to find polite ways to tell these types to take their frankly abusive attitude somewhere else. I suspect that most women will have no problem with you once you demonstrate that your brain cell count is higher than your age.

I don’t think I have that look though, so not sure if I’m just being stereotyped. 

8 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Welcome to the last stage of madness - asylum access can be applied for each year at the Lovefest Cthulhu festival inworld... ;)

I hope I make it out alive! :D

My situation in SL still hasn’t changed no matter what kind of avie I use. People on SL aren’t open to making friends or having conversations in my experience. My SL has been awful.

• Confused 1

To me it feels more like people approach their time in SL with a singular limited purpose, and anything or anyone outside their (typically stereotyped) narrow predetermined interests gets pushed to the side.

• Thanks 1

Well, then i believe the avi is not the problem. I remember when i started SL, many year ago (2006), i was in a small clique including a black girl. She was kinda the pin-up, one of the first woman to speak in voice (when it started). But of course she had a firm personality, that surely helped a lot. Ill send you an invit tonight and see if we can remedy to that. I guess you have nothing to lose now.

9 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

To me it feels more like people approach their time in SL with a singular limited purpose, and anything or anyone outside their (typically stereotyped) narrow predetermined interests gets pushed to the side.

I couldn’t agree with this more. Very, very true from my experience.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Ashlyn Voir said:

My situation in SL still hasn’t changed no matter what kind of avie I use. People on SL aren’t open to making friends or having conversations in my experience. My SL has been awful.

As ye sow, so shall ye reap

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Maybe that the real issue, and not introversion

4 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

As ye sow, so shall ye reap

Not always true because people can be rude for no reason whatsoever based on their own prejudices. But, nice try! :)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Ashlyn Voir said:

Not always true because people can be rude for no reason whatsoever based on their own prejudices. But, nice try! :)

You made a generalization that "People on SL aren’t open to making friends or having conversations in my experience. My SL has been awful."

And yet I make friends everywhere I go in my second life, because I'm an open, honest,  genuinely concerned, compassionate person. People see that and respond favorably

So either your awful experience is the fault of everyone you meet, or its your fault.

Feel free to play the race card anytime... oh wait, you already did

Edited by Phorumities
one comma too many
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

You made a generalization that "People on SL aren’t open to making friends or having conversations in my experience. My SL has been awful."

And yet I make friends everywhere I go in my second life, because I'm an open, honest,  genuinely concerned, compassionate person. People see that and respond favorably

So either your awful experience is the fault of everyone you meet, or its your fault.

Aww, thank you love for your response! You’re wrong and very ignorant in many ways, but no worries. :) We all have varying opinions and experiences! Have a nice day!!!

Edited by Ashlyn Voir
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

Well unfortunately i start to believe you got it right. Maybe some people just want to complaint while other people offer them opportunities, they just ignore them. So i guess they like to feed that narrative about being persecuted to seek attention. Well i am pulling out this topic, i did it with good heart but look like its just to drain energy.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, JJack Montreal said:

Well unfortunately i start to believe you got it right. Maybe some people just want to complaint while other people offer them opportunities, they just ignore them. So i guess they like to feed that narrative about being persecuted to seek attention. Well i am pulling out this topic, i did it with good heart but look like its just to drain energy.

Unfortunately you’re wrong, but it’s easy to misunderstand over the internet. ;) That being said, all of my posts have been genuine and honest about my experiences on this game, and I often find many people on this game aren’t open to going beyond what they’re used to. Being pre-judged is a thing in SL, which is sad because I don’t see the hospitality that others say they’ve experienced. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Ashlyn Voir said:

Unfortunately you’re wrong, but it’s easy to misunderstand over the internet. ;) That being said, all of my posts have been genuine and honest about my experiences on this game, and I often find many people on this game aren’t open to going beyond what they’re used to. Being pre-judged is a thing in SL, which is sad because I don’t see the hospitality that others say they’ve experienced. 

Well i am sad for you, really, and you always welcome to contact me in verse, ill be glad to chat with you. If you decide to not, i wish you good luck though, have a good evening.

Hi Ashlyn!

I'm sorry you've had some bad experiences.  Yes, there's racism in SL...as someone said early on, we're the same people here as we are in Real Life, and, sadly, some of those people are racists.

I assure you, not everyone is SL is, though.  In fact, speaking broadly, SL tends to have a greater percentage of liberal, progressive, and tolerant residents than the average in RL.

While I think his "race card" comment was extremely rude and uncalled for, Phorumities does have a point of sorts.  If you see everyone as racist, maybe the problem isn't everyone else, but you.  Or maybe partially?  All I can suggest is put on your thickest skin and stay cheerful and open.  Unless, of course, the other party is a complete jerk.  Then mute, and move on!

Speaking from personal experience, some of the nicest (and handsomest/most beautiful) people I've met in SL are non-white avatars.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2015 at 12:44 PM, Ashlyn Voir said:

I aplogize in advanced if this was placed in the wrong forum, however, I am looking for opinions from other residents in SL.

Before I get started, I wanted to describe my real life self. I am a young African American college student. I've been on SL for almost seven years now--this is my second account. I used to post real life photos of myself in the real life tab of my profile, but have used both black and white avatars. 

I've noticed whenever I am a black avatar, no one approaches me and whenever they find out I am black in real life, they suddenly stop friending me or messaging me. When I play as a white avatar, other residents approach me more, but until they see my real life tab, they suddenly stop. This happened on several occasions and has been this way since I've been on SL. It's honestly made me very ashamed of my race and I hate the feeling of having to pretend to be someone I am not. But, it seems white avatars, even asian ones, are more appreciated than black females and their avatars. I no longer leave my real life tab avaliable and usually when I am in an area with heavy traffic, I only go as a white avatar because I find that people are more open to chatting with me. 

In many ways, I feel awful for wasting so much time and money into something if I knew this would always happen. 

Ive experienced this too - but im white irl,and have had a black avatar before...nobody approached me,I didnt think much of it cause those who did talk to me really liked me for me - I never put my race out for the general public to know (a.k.a for people to stalk my profile.)

16 hours ago, Ashlyn Voir said:

14 hours ago, Ashlyn Voir said:

I often find many people on this game aren’t open to going beyond what they’re used to. Being pre-judged is a thing in SL, which is sad because I don’t see the hospitality that others say they’ve experienced. 

Based on all of the posts that you've made on these forums, I'm in the camp of those that think you bring much of it on yourself,

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Based on all of the posts that you've made on these forums, I'm in the camp of those that think you bring much of it on yourself,

You're entitled to your opinion. But, again that's what you think and not what it is. Thank you for your response though. :)

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Speaking from personal experience, some of the nicest (and handsomest/most beautiful) people I've met in SL are non-white avatars.

...preens...
5b4b9b0f4ddbb_DevilonBed_001.thumb.jpg.9a2b8de4765f812114d93cb0f606763f.jpg

• Haha 1

This thread belongs in the Butthurt Forum, in sub-forum > Someone/Everyone is Mean to Me. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

This thread belongs in the Butthurt Forum, in sub-forum > Someone/Everyone is Mean to Me. 

I’ll remember not to send you any notecards!

• Confused 1