Jump to content

Racism in Second Life?


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 838 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, JingleWorm said:

I don't see any groups under any of them.

You need to be logged in at secondlife.com in order to see them. Not these forums; the main sl website. LittleMe has hers hidden from everyone who is not on her friends list, but everyone else listed there - myself included - has all their groups showing for anyone who is logged in to see.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hmmm... ... *Incoming IM Spam alert noise* Them: Hi! Me: Hmm? Oh, hello Them: How are you? Me: Busy and tired Them: I'm sim hopping. What are you doing? Me: Wor

It has been a little while since I replied to this comment, but not that long. I have been finding out that my dressing in my culture has brought more interest in who I am and in some ways seems to ha

Necro, but I decided to reply anyway. As a mixed race person i find people on SL to be quite racist, especially when people find out about my RL background. I stopped sharing my rl information wi

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

You need to be logged in at secondlife.com in order to see them. Not these forums; the main sl website. LittleMe has hers hidden from everyone who is not on her friends list, but everyone else listed there - myself included - has all their groups showing for anyone who is logged in to see.

Yup. I'm signed in at both but I don't see any groups.

Edited by JingleWorm
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JingleWorm said:

Yup. I'm signed in at both but I don't see any groups.

Either you're being deliberately obtuse or your Second Life website is set up completely differently to everyone else's.

Here, let me hold your hand and show you where to click:

groups01.jpg.1ec23fdf50f830971322bbdab0204255.jpg

groups02.jpg.487bf5b2d7f4d62c4e40adaf6c58923c.jpg

groups03.jpg.9755586faa5d274c5e6938b5196d1a42.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Either you're being deliberately obtuse or your Second Life website is set up completely differently to everyone else's.

Here, let me hold your hand and show you where to click:

groups01.jpg.1ec23fdf50f830971322bbdab0204255.jpg

groups02.jpg.487bf5b2d7f4d62c4e40adaf6c58923c.jpg

groups03.jpg.9755586faa5d274c5e6938b5196d1a42.jpg

Sorry I'm not trying to cause problems. It looks like what's shown below for all of the profiles. This is what I see:l.thumb.png.e0837e3c6a87ebcccfa34c180fd9e3a4.png

Edited by JingleWorm
  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Firstly, re-read what I said earlier:

29 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

LittleMe has hers hidden from everyone who is not on her friends list

So no point looking at her profile there.

Secondly:

59ea3e149b3ed_bloodywellLOGINthen.jpg.ef59ea2f9438a53d8f670c2acb1850ec.jpg

You're NOT logged in.

BTW, this is now eighteen posts (and counting) about how your groups can be seen by other people. I'm going inworld. I've got better things to do. 9_9

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I can relate to what your going threw and my best advice is be yourself and anyone who doesn't like it can go shag off. I've only had one racist experience myself personally, but it did impact me alot harder then I expected it would. My wife now actually helped me move past alot of that. I won't says names, but I will say it happened in a past relationship on SL. My skin tone is white, but I made my avatar the complexion of my RL Father since growing up I always wanted to be like him. I was with someone for a good 6 months and we got to the point of exchanging RL photos and when she realized I was not the same complexion of my avatar her total attitude changed and I could hear it in her voice. She picked my photo apart like someone grading an avatar and made me feel like total dog poop. Never had I had someone do that to me and make me feel like I was less then I was. Not long after that happened that relationship came to a very harsh ending. Made it so bad this person was whiter then I was with a dark complected avatar. lol So talk about wrapped up in stupid and rolling in dumb right? lol ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2017 at 5:29 AM, Talligurl said:

Why it matters is a good question, but I have had people assure me I don't look black when I mention this, as if looking black is somehow a bad thing. 

I put distance between one of my oldest friends in SL after I started adopting a darker skin tone here when the reaction I got back was an exclamation over how black I was. And that was several shades 'lighter' than I use today. A few years earlier, a mutual friend had said the same thing about an alt I had that was a black rabbit... and while it could have been taken as "your furry is very black", the situation and manner of the reaction just felt very weird...

While my RL tone is darker than anything I could find in SL when I first started here, it's not the tone of my avatar - but the reactions have been illuminating. I find what I say get a lot more questioned and second-guessed or 'whitesplained away' when people see my avatar is black or when I reveal that I am a mixed-raced person in RL (even before I knew my ancestry included Africa - DNA recently revealed my "white ancestry" is Moorish and Persian, and my 'Native American' is actually from Africa. All my 'klan-wearing Confederate flag' Appalachian cousins that think they're English have some 'explaining' to themselves to do... o.O There's some 'English' in there, but it's not at all what we thought it was.)

...

I may be the one that got that racist car removed. I know I've AR'd a few of those flags when I've spotted them. Those people have no more "legitimacy" claiming pride in that heritage than a German would in running around with a symbol of the Third Reich. Charlottesville is just one more in a long list of 'reveals' that should remove any excuse whitesplainers have left for trying to delude others about their motives. Traitors didn't fight for their country - they fought to end it, and they got put down. Some of them traitors were my ancestors, and I now know some of my ancestors where the people they fought to enslave. If your own kin are evil though, you owe them no respect.

This is what I love about modern Germans so much (as an over-generalization). They have no patience for this B.S. They don't take pride in 'what grandpa did', they take a sense of justice from it. Do right to set things right.

(the term "whitesplain" is hyper-aggressive in our hyper-partisan era, but there's no better term for what it represents.)

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

 

I may be the one that got that racist car removed. I know I've AR'd a few of those flags when I've spotted them. Those people have no more "legitimacy" claiming pride in that heritage than a German would in running around with a symbol of the Third Reich.

Its so tiresome whenever anyone tries to compare the war for Southern independence with the activities of the National Socialists.

If that's your best effort, you already lost.

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Its so tiresome whenever anyone tries to compare the war for Southern independence with the activities of the National Socialists.

If that's your best effort, you already lost.

 

The South enslaved tens of millions over a few centuries. Nazi Germany was the beast of the 20th Century, but the South was a greater beast of a prior era.

This can be put together with the Native Genocide as historically the two were intertwined, and in the regards the entire North and South are guilty. Slavery was in North as well so even if you disregard the Native Genocide you get both sides complicit in one of history's greatest Holocausts. But the North moved for Abolition, and it was the South that kept the torch of inhumanity burning - and fought a war to preserve racist injustice.

Go read their declarations - their war was all about slavery. It's written in their own words.

Morally they were both bankrupt and evil to the core. And both were based on Genocide. And in this regard they are perfect for comparison. Even your Southern Klansmen / Alt-Right know this - look at the flags they run around with today... They mix Nazi and Confederate flags because the two stand for the same cause.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

The South enslaved tens of millions over a few centuries. Nazi Germany was the beast of the 20th Century, but the South was a greater beast of a prior era.

This can be put together with the Native Genocide as historically the two were intertwined, and in the regards the entire North and South are guilty. Slavery was in North as well so even if you disregard the Native Genocide you get both sides complicit in one of history's greatest Holocausts. But the North moved for Abolition, and it was the South that kept the torch of inhumanity burning - and fought a war to preserve racist injustice.

Go read their declarations - their war was all about slavery. It's written in their own words.

Morally they were both bankrupt and evil to the core. And both were based on Genocide. And in this regard they are perfect for comparison. Even your Southern Klansmen / Alt-Right know this - look at the flags they run around with today... They mix Nazi and Confederate flags because the two stand for the same cause.

....

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
not worth getting blocked from sl again over
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

I'm using an alt account for this reply. I have several accounts. When I first came to SL my avi was asian and no one really spoke to me much, but after a while of hanging around in the same sim and often being the person opening conversations I quickly build up quite a few friends. I would say people go out of their way to chat with me now and I feel completely accepted. I have had the same experience with another alt account with the avi is black. I think once people get to know you they will be a lot more likely to be friendly and talk freely, but they are not likely to reach out to you--be your avi white, black, asian or furry. I think that's kind of similar to rl.

I have encounters some people who are just blatant racists. People who want to rp in ridiculously racist scenarios. I definitely experienced that with my black avi and to a little less extent with my asian avi. I have also experienced different types of prejudice with my white avi.

I think the bottom line is racists are everywhere. A place like SL probably has even more of it since people are able to let their true selfs really run wild while hiding under the mask of an avatar. It's also important to know that -- just like irl -- there are also a lot of good people here who are not racist jerks. Don't let ignorant racists ruin you Sl experience--or your rl experience. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I usually only see people from Asia, Australia, New Zealand and Europe (UTC to UTC +12) and I have never had any trouble with racism, if I did I am so unaccustomed to it because I live in an international city and we all get along just fine; however I do match up my morning SL time with another countries evening and so many people from Asia and Europe say it's really quiet and peaceful when they go to sleep, I tend to agree and have no friends from said country (I do in RL though).

I have however run in to a lot of nationalism during that morning time slot when that country is still out in full force (about 19:00 PST) and "those people" think the entire world revolves around them and their time zone and that the rest of the world cares about their religion, politics and holidays, I cannot tell you how many times I have been told "everyone knows it's Christmas", Thanksgiving or it's Easter (I had to look Easter up) and when I do not know it is followed by disbelief, suspicion, annoyance and even anger in a few cases, what I do know is all of these holidays are just another workday for me! 

Maybe I should start getting annoyed when people don't know it's Asahna Bucha Day, Songkran or the Kings Birthday! haha just kidding I know how stupid that would be! 

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2017 at 9:31 PM, Pussycat Catnap said:

While my RL tone is darker than anything I could find in SL when I first started here, it's not the tone of my avatar

A tangent and not really relevant, but being inworld after reading this I remembered that part of the reason why pale skins feel like Bitsy is because of how blasted hard it used to be to find much which wasn't beach-babe tanned. Being pale was my wee rebellion against the mainstream trends of the day. It's much easier now fortunately. I still don't fit in with the mainstream trends clothes-wise but at least I have enough choice with skin I can avoid heavy make-up.

Here's to diversity in its many forms. We all benefit from it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CherylRobinson said:

I think the bottom line is racists are everywhere. A place like SL probably has even more of it since people are able to let their true selfs really run wild while hiding under the mask of an avatar. It's also important to know that -- just like irl -- there are also a lot of good people here who are not racist jerks. Don't let ignorant racists ruin you Sl experience--or your rl experience. 

^^ This.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn spear chucking Greenies... The blighters are everywhere!

*pulls out Great Uncle Richards 8 shot .38 cal Webley-Fosberry automatic Revolver*

Don't you point... That bloody prim... At me! *blam blam*

Colour Sergeant Shouty! I need half your men now, two lines, fix bayonettes!

:D 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2017 at 5:26 AM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Apparently you can be as racist as you want in SL as long as you make a disclaimer that its just RP.

There are white supremacist and black supremacist groups which describe themselves in the most vile language possible, but at the end of the description they always say "RP only, no real racists allowed.

On the other hand, the creator of a Dukes of Hazzard General Lee Charger had her car delisted on MP because of that horrible evil racist Confederate flag on the roof.

*rolls eyes*

I'm sure it was removed because it is a copyright infringement, there are plenty of Confederate and Nazi items for sale on market place, to spite the fact there should not be. You glamorise genocide and slavery  and think it's fashion, it's disgusting. 

Edited by WuShin
typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a fascinating conversation once with a horse avatar (really, not kidding).  The horse avatar pointed out that human avatars shun him/her on most sims.  When I originally IM'd the horse it was to find out where the dance floor was at this particular sim, but we proceeded to strike up a good conversation about animal avatar/human avatar relations. 

I told the horse that I was grateful for the information and would be more engaging, and aware, of animal avatars in SL.  We shook hoof and hand and went our separate ways but I am grateful for the education.

image.png.103f498e515526a855a3bebf3573333d.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WuShin said:

I'm sure it was removed because it is a copyright infringement, there are plenty of Confederate and Nazi items for sale on market place, to spite the fact there should not be. You glamorise genocide and slavery  and think it's fashion, it's disgusting. 

i do?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WuShin said:

I'm sure it was removed because it is a copyright infringement, there are plenty of Confederate and Nazi items for sale on market place, to spite the fact there should not be. You glamorise genocide and slavery  and think it's fashion, it's disgusting. 

Actually it was removed in a whole sale cleansing of confederate items from marketplace following the murder of several black people in a church by some effed up kid that had a picture of himself holding the southern cross on his facebook page.

The bodies weren't even cold before all the usual suspects began clamoring for the banning of the confederate flag.

It was a rather disgusting display of political opportunism to me.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
grammar
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 838 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...