Racism in Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 795 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hmmm... ... *Incoming IM Spam alert noise* Them: Hi! Me: Hmm? Oh, hello Them: How are you? Me: Busy and tired Them: I'm sim hopping. What are you doing? Me: Wor

It has been a little while since I replied to this comment, but not that long. I have been finding out that my dressing in my culture has brought more interest in who I am and in some ways seems to ha

Necro, but I decided to reply anyway. As a mixed race person i find people on SL to be quite racist, especially when people find out about my RL background. I stopped sharing my rl information wi

Posted Images

22 hours ago, Dreamerra said:

I am Mixed white but I play a Asian some times Colored women we do shed the same blood. We can be whatever we want here Better for people value self and others.

Whats up with writing random words with capital letters?

• Like 1

Given that SL is part of the internet and a chunk of people use the internet to bully others, and given that a high percentage of residents are from the U.S. and the U.S. is heavily polarised these days when it comes to just about everything, I don't think we should be too surprised that there is racism in SL.

Or that there are plenty of places and people who value things like kindness and equality and treating each other decently. Whenever the first lot mess with your head, look for the second. There are probably more of us after all, even if we don't make as much noise.

I wish I could say something better than "I'm sorry that happened, but I'm sure you wouldn't want to be friends with those people anyway" because I know how disheartening it can be when people avoid you. It's less about that one person you don't get to be friends with, and more about people avoiding you for something so absurd. It's not like you can control your race. Out of all the reasons to dislike someone - they could be annoying, rude, arrogant, or any number of bad traits - it's pathetic that some people can decide whether or not they like someone based on the color of their skin. You could be a medical engineer who just discovered the cure to cancer, but they don't care. They already made up their mind before you ever even opened your mouth.

But... I will say that despite how promising a "Second Life" sounds, the anonymity gives people a lot of wiggle room to act on their underlying prejudices without consequence. The choice to be whoever you want, say whatever you want, and do whatever you want is really freeing; but we shouldn't forget that same freedom has been given to the kind of people who spend all day harassing people on the internet. People have no shame in trolling once their identity is out of the picture. SL is no different.

As for roleplay, I think people are free to do what they please within the confines of consensual play.

Gor isn't my thing but I know a lot of people (yes, even women) who enjoy it. As long as it's somewhere private and it isn't forced on anyone who doesn't want to participate, I say go for it. I've met a lot of wonderful people who play characters who are realistically racist for the setting they're in (dark ages, 20's, WW2, even middle earth has its racism) but will drop the act as soon as it starts making someone uncomfortable. With that said, I find it hard to understand why anyone thinks it's fun to roleplay a nazi in WW2, but I've roleplayed serial killers so I have no room to speak.

• Like 1

I am Dominican. But my avatar looks black. I work as a dancer and have noticed the white strippers get way more attention. And thats true everywhere I go. One of them even tried to get me to change to a white avatar. I refuse I love the way I look and people prejudices will never make me change linden or no linden.

Edited by JennyGully
  • Like 6

Y'know, as a longtime SL role player and "utility NPC player" (I filled in roles needed for various stories) I have been;

Male, Female, Andro, Gender-Integrated

Caucasian, Black, Asian, Native American

Furry (Plushie), Neko, Demonic, Gender-Fluid Devil, Vampire, Lycan, Elvish, Android, Cyborg and various aliens

I was a dog on several occasions.....

Irish, South African, African-American, Scots, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Australian, Colombian, Mexican, Cherokee

Been lawyers, strippers, cops, hookers, ministers, nuns, cowgirls, doctors, housewives, shopkeepers, private detectives, writers, smugglers, muggers, assassins and card sharks (the short list)

My real issue if I were to ever decide to be a racist in SL would be deciding what to be superior -TO-........

So I'm not going there.

• Like 3
36 minutes ago, AmandaKeen said:

My real issue if I were to ever decide to be a racist in SL would be deciding what to be superior -TO-........

So I'm not going there.

Toasters! Down with TOASTERS! They are demonstrably evil. They will burn your toast if you turn your back. And no one .. I mean NO ONE, not even Neil deGrasse Tyson knows how they REALLY work! (Truth! I saw it on a web site somewhere.)

• Haha 1

YOU are the ultimate minority. In the 7 Billion+ people in the world, there is only ONE of YOU vs. everyone else. You are outnumbered from birth. Once you learn to properly handle that deficit by itself then you also learn the tools to overcome all the other minority based impediments life throws at you.

Granted, the tools don't always work. There are people who will insist on hating you no matter what. Just remember that Hate is THEIR tool to overcome  their own "Minority of One" issues. (And clearly they've failed.)

12 hours ago, Darrius Gothly said:

YOU are the ultimate minority. In the 7 Billion+ people in the world, there is only ONE of YOU vs. everyone else. You are outnumbered from birth. Once you learn to properly handle that deficit by itself then you also learn the tools to overcome all the other minority based impediments life throws at you.

Granted, the tools don't always work. There are people who will insist on hating you no matter what. Just remember that Hate is THEIR tool to overcome  their own "Minority of One" issues. (And clearly they've failed.)

Since there's only one of everyone that in and of itself means if difference itself is what is accepted then it does away with racism and prejudice. What's more you don't even need to worry about "Different thing here" because it simply means "This is the different thing. Accept it and don't act like it's bad just because you fear the worst and don't know anything about it". What's more "Same thing here" can be gone about in multiple different ways. How people overlook such simple logic is honestly beyond me.

I'm a online furry.

I'm an online nudist.

I'm a mental masochist that's into fearplay.

I'm a sub (some people can look down on subs, believe it or not. Been told it's been viewed as stupid and pointless).

I'm poly.

I'm so many other things.

... Do you know WHY though? Do you know my thoughts and opinions? Or are you just assuming stupid ***** and fearing the worst of things about something without even caring about why and having no experience with it yourself while you're standing there looking at me like I'm a freak because I'm different? I'd never EVER do that to ANYONE. Regardless of what I think of them. No one should have to go through that.

The ironic thing is that I've gotten good at facing other peoples fears because I've lived a life of it. It's a good thing in some ways. But no one should have to live like that... Being seen as only the worst because of what you're like. Be it your "skin" or "What you're into" or why you go about things the way you do.

Edited by Taramafor
  • Like 1

I accept all things about all people that do not involve deliberately and maliciously hurting other people. I may not have an appreciation for,  understand, or partake of the particular pleasures in which others may indulge,  but I understand, Horatio, that there are more pleasures than those in which I myself might indulge.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, AmandaKeen said:

Y'know, as a longtime SL role player and "utility NPC player" (I filled in roles needed for various stories) I have been;

Male, Female, Andro, Gender-Integrated

Caucasian, Black, Asian, Native American

Furry (Plushie), Neko, Demonic, Gender-Fluid Devil, Vampire, Lycan, Elvish, Android, Cyborg and various aliens

I was a dog on several occasions.....

Irish, South African, African-American, Scots, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Australian, Colombian, Mexican, Cherokee

Been lawyers, strippers, cops, hookers, ministers, nuns, cowgirls, doctors, housewives, shopkeepers, private detectives, writers, smugglers, muggers, assassins and card sharks (the short list)

So I'm not going there.

Wow. You've been around the block, you're on a roll, you're on a wild ride.

You've probably even worn a beautiful red dress or two. 

Edited by Ivanova Shostakovich
Coulda, shoulda, woulda.
15 minutes ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

I accept all things about all people that do not involve deliberately and maliciously hurting other people. I may not have an appreciation for,  understand, or partake of the particular pleasures in which others may indulge,  but I understand, Horatio, that there are more pleasures than those in which I myself might indulge.

Hmm... Not going to lie. My sticking point is religion. Has to do with expectations (eg: play my rules and do my good or you're not in the club). Among other things (I never take sides. Period. Lot of religions can conflict with this). Such things are of course important but there's also what's important to others.

That said I can get on board with a game that puts religion in a light where gods aren't the perfect beings people think they are. Baldur's Gate 2 and Dragon's Dogma are examples of this. Perhaps Elder Scroll games to a lesser degree. Who cares enough to do beyond what is expected of them and ask a god if they need a hand with something? (I get it, a sign or whatever. But do you care enough to take the initiative and check in without being nudged?) I might not believe in them but it does make me wonder.

Edited by Taramafor
22 minutes ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

Same here, more or less, though I do sometimes and increasingly reject things about people that involve hurting others through ignorance rather than malice. Both often produce the same harmful results and it's becoming increasingly clear to me that ignorance is the greater overall danger.

• Like 4
13 hours ago, Darrius Gothly said:

Toasters! Down with TOASTERS! They are demonstrably evil. They will burn your toast if you turn your back. And no one .. I mean NO ONE, not even Neil deGrasse Tyson knows how they REALLY work! (Truth! I saw it on a web site somewhere.)

When I was in college, I had a toaster with an overactive ejection spring. The first time I used it, I thought I was losing my mind. I put in a slice of bread, pushed it down and walked away to do something. When I returned, I could smell the lovely aroma of toast, but there was no slice to be found. I looked everywhere. I put in another slice and watched the toaster carefully. When it popped, the slice flew into the air, bounced off the underside of kitchen cabinet and fell behind the stove, where I found the other slice.

In retrospect, I should have fallen in love with that toaster on the spot. It shared my sense of humor. But I was young then, and expected more from life. Now I dearly wish I still had it, simply so I could spring it on unsuspecting others. Buying a toaster and rigging it to misbehave like that one is on my bucket list.

Let go of your hate of toasters, Darrius. They don't care what you think and it'll just wear you out. As with the dandelions in my lawn and the unwillingness of the masses to give me the adulation I deserve, I have made my peace with a world that is indifferent to me. I do find solace in knowing that the world is, in general, indifferent to all of us.

Yet curiously, I find myself edging increasingly closer to raising my voice in protest, potentially over the RL parallel of this very thread.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I had a toaster with an overactive...

((I'm sorry Maddy, and to all others in this thread, for this tangent. A rebellious streak of my imagination has taken over and I cannot resist it. Consider this a more literary equivalent to your photo edits.))

Continue below, if you wish.

I once had a toaster with an overactive imagination.

It all began one day as I made my breakfast. I had dropped two pale slices of sourdough into the toaster and pressed down the lever. Then I began making coffee. After starting the brewing process I sat and watched as coffee dripped into the pot, gradually filling it, savoring the aroma as it filled my kitchen.

I started smelling the toast then, and thought to myself that the coffee must have thrown off my sense of smell. I didn't realize anything was amiss until the toast popped up, looking darker than expected against the fading red-orange of the hot elements.

I stared at the too-dark slices for a long moment before reaching out and picking one out from the rather ordinary looking appliance. I held the slice of toast between my fingers, turning it over and inspecting both sides. I smelled it.

A moment of peculiar dizziness flew through my mind, an instant of cognitive dissonance, as I realized what I held between my fingers wasn't sourdough. It was perfectly toasted dark rye.

Two thoughts then occurred to me at once, which made me giggle.

One, as far as I knew, I wasn't in possession of any dark rye loaves. In fact I was overdue for a market run, having run out of several things, earl grey, cheese, pub mustard, fresh orange. In any event, I didn't make a habit of keeping dark rye on hand.

Two, realizing I had two warm, perfectly toasted slices of dark rye struck me as particularly inconvenient, because all I had on hand to put on them was peanut butter and jam.

((Now I don't know what to do. I could continue, but it would get criminally long, people might complain, police involvement etc.....   So I'll just stop here.))

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

((I'm sorry Maddy, and to all others in this thread, for this tangent. A rebellious streak of my imagination has taken over and I cannot resist it. Consider this a more literary equivalent to your photo edits.))

Continue below, if you wish.

Reveal hidden contents

I once had a toaster with an overactive imagination.

It all began one day as I made my breakfast. I had dropped two pale slices of sourdough into the toaster and pressed down the lever. Then I began making coffee. After starting the brewing process I sat and watched as coffee dripped into the pot, gradually filling it, savoring the aroma as it filled my kitchen.

I started smelling the toast then, and thought to myself that the coffee must have thrown off my sense of smell. I didn't realize anything was amiss until the toast popped up, looking darker than expected against the fading red-orange of the hot elements.

I stared at the too-dark slices for a long moment before reaching out and picking one out from the rather ordinary looking appliance. I held the slice of toast between my fingers, turning it over and inspecting both sides. I smelled it.

A moment of peculiar dizziness flew through my mind, an instant of cognitive dissonance, as I realized what I held between my fingers wasn't sourdough. It was perfectly toasted dark rye.

Two thoughts then occurred to me at once, which made me giggle.

One, as far as I knew, I wasn't in possession of any dark rye loaves. In fact I was overdue for a market run, having run out of several things, earl grey, cheese, pub mustard, fresh orange. In any event, I didn't make a habit of keeping dark rye on hand.

Two, realizing I had two warm, perfectly toasted slices of dark rye struck me as particularly inconvenient, because all I had on hand to put on them was peanut butter and jam.

((Now I don't know what to do. I could continue, but it would get criminally long, people might complain, police involvement etc.....   So I'll just stop here.))

Continue please, particularly if doing so will involve the police... and handcuffs.

I think peanut butter on dark rye toast would be wonderful. I don't think jam goes with anything.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
18 hours ago, Darrius Gothly said:

If it's toast, then by implication,  it's already been toasted. I could see the toaster burning two slices of bread (unless one has to have a four-slicer, that's just showing off).

One doesn't toast toast, they toast bread or really skinny bagels or maybe a hot pocket. The argument is like commenting that hot water heaters make water too hot. Already hot water doesn't need a heater, but cool/warm water does.

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Continue please, particularly if doing so will involve the police... and handcuffs.

I think peanut butter on dark rye toast would be wonderful. I don't think jam goes with anything.

A slice of bread, toasted just this side of burnt (see how I worded that?) with a proper balance of butter and grape jam. YUMS!

I feel better now.

demotivational-toasters.jpg

Edited by Jerilynn Lemon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

I'm with Maddy, please continue.

/me slides the peanut butter jar back toward Madelaine ...

• Like 1
On 8/17/2017 at 8:03 AM, Darrius Gothly said:

You heartless monster... On behalf of all Toasters in SL, RISE UP MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS!!! REVOLT AGAINST OUR HUMANOID OPPRESSORS!!! START LAUNCHING BURNING SLICES OF BREAD AT THEM, BURN DOWN THEIR HOMES!! 

toaster_001.png

See what you started. I didn't want this.. 

toaster_002.png

Edited by Drake1 Nightfire
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
2 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

You heartless monster... On behalf of all Toasters in SL, RISE UP MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS!!! REVOLT AGAINST OUR HUMANOID OPPRESSORS!!! START LAUNCHING BURNING SLICES OF BREAD AT THEM, BURN DOWN THEIR HOMES!! 

Temp.jpg.ef521346bd759e82fdbac2ef6f1be90c.jpg

• Haha 3
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 795 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.