Second Life PC building guide

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2892 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly. FPS performance hinges greatly on your Internet connection bandwidth. In a static situation you can get high frame rates with an average current day gaming PC. But with low bandwidth,,, get a sim with lots of moving avatars, the FPS will drop a lot. That's a situation the best hardware cannot overcome. Over a year ago I had funds to upgrade my PC, with the goal of better FPS in SL. During Black Friday of 2014 I bought a new MB and Processor. (MSI Z97 gaming 5 and an i5 4690K for the CPU). Since SL uses fairly old rendering tech CPU power plays a big part. That's why I abandoned the AMD processor of my older setup for the Intel and it paid off. The graphics card I had at the time was based on the Nvidia GTX 550 ti with 2GB ram. The total setup did rather well in SL. it was doubled the former FPS. (Goes to show how much cpu power plays in SL rendering.) A friend who upgraded his PC gave me his Radon 5970 card. Performance in Second Life was improved a little bit. But performance in games like Skyrim was greatly improved. This tells me that the graphics engine in SL, which is OpendGL based, doesn't take much advantage of the newer rendering hardware in the newer cards. Nvidia GPUs has been known to have better OpenGL performance compared to AMD GPUs. I would think getting a Nvidia card with high GPU clock speed would be the way to go. One of the fast GTX 760 ti cards should do well for SL, though it is a generation or so old.

Do you overclock that i5 K procesor and Z97 chipset motherboard?  (if not, that is huge waste of money)

What OS, viewer and amount of memory you have?  

All guys on windows 10, try this:

go in RUN and type:

gpedit.msc 

than go in administrative templates --> Network ----> QoS Packet Scheduler-----> Limint reservable bandwith --->

set this from 80% to 0%

also disable some windows stupid spying stuff that eats a lot of bandwith

Err no. Fps is not dependent on network bandwidth at all. Totally incorrect.

Try this, note your fps, disconnect the network interface, note fps.

SL is not a steamed video experience, the GPU will render what it has to render. Disconcerting the network interface will merely mean that there's nothing new to render.

A busy sim with lots of content just takes longer to download and if anything just rubberbanding of movement due to latency.

Fps in a busy region is impacted only by content, not bandwidth.

Bradford Mint wrote:

Err no. Fps is not dependent on network bandwidth at all. Totally incorrect.

No, he's correct, at least the way I read his comment: high bandwidth can cause low framerate. This can happen because a bandwidth-throttled connection will just drop intermediate object updates so they're never rendered at all, improving framerate for whatever content makes it down the wire. 

The effect is just the opposite of  streamed video from server-side rendering, where low bandwidth reduces (apparent) framerate.

[EDIT: Re-re-re-re-reading Allen's post about a dozen times, now I'm not so sure. Maybe he was saying that low bandwidth leads to low framerate, and yeah, I don't think that's ever the case for SL.]

• 3 months later...

These days i see lot of "package loss and high ping sim"

i test my internet connection to Dallas, and it's showing me 3.1 mbit download and 0.35 upload (yea hilarious i know, i hate you HT-eronet most crappy internet provider in world)

well since we still dont have fiber optics in my area, im stuck with this

biggest performance issue i have both in FPS drops, and lag is due to that 2 things

ping sim, and packet loss (sometimes above 20%)

im hardwired to my router, and i have IPTV and one laptop on wifi...

I wonder, how much actually internet speed (download upload) affect gameplay and rezzing inworld 

filipsimo12 wrote:

biggest performance issue i have both in FPS drops, and lag is due to that 2 things

Lag, for sure, but if framerate is reduced as a function of bandwidth, or inversely by dropped packets, that would be a serious design flaw. The thread rendering frames should have no idea how old the data is that it's displaying (because if it did, the whole pipeline could freeze waiting for updates and that's never supposed to happen).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2892 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.