Where are all my friends? Come on in and lets get comfy by the fire!

Hippie Bowman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For us here in the States today is Thanksgiving eve and tomorrow is Thanksgiving! We have a lot to be thankful for.  Be it good food.  Clean water. And shelter. And much more. During your feasting and joy take a few minutes to think of what you are thankfull for. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Peace!FB_IMG_1606314118471.jpg.302ad635abbf5847302fb9eed21c668c.jpg

FB_IMG_1606314101643.jpg

FB_IMG_1606314093900.jpg

FB_IMG_1606314073418.jpg

FB_IMG_1606309149412.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Still a few weeks to go, but on May first we observe Budapestbakelsens dag ('day of the Budapest pastry'). It'll be its 95th birthday.

8585d29b-5cb6-444e-a3dc-70d2588c2832?fit

It's one of my personal favourites, and in my opinion perhaps the best Swedish pastry ever .. Possibly aside from the one which, quite perversely, English has dubbed .. Danish. Frowns seethingly. 

The two pastries share more than being Swedish, though. The names, Budapestbakelse and Wienerbröd, both refer to captials of central European countries; Budapest (Hungary) and Vienna (Austria) - Austria being largely regarded as the finest producers of pastry, with many Swedish pastry chefs apprenticing there (my bakery teacher told us that his teacher had told him that the Apfelstrudel dough should be stretched until he could clearly see the contours of the Alps through it - when I pointed out that we had no alps around though, he suggested I stretch it until I could read the registration plates on the cars in the parking lot through it instead!).

History and/or geography buffs will also notice that the two cities are related in a different manner with a strong influence on European cuisine ..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1