Where are all my friends? Come on in and lets get comfy by the fire!

Hippie Bowman
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 66 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I could use a comfy fire about now, or any fire for that matter.  The house is down to 65 F degrees (18.3 C) due to a cold front moving through the last couple of days, but I'm loath to turn the heater on yet.  We were supposed to start warming again tomorrow, but that has been pushed to Friday now.  With overnight lows of 41-42 F (5-5.5 C) and not getting out of the 60s until Friday, I might have to give in and turn the darn thing on for a few hours.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

While I am definitely ready for fall, the first few times we don't get out of the 60s, I always feel way too chilled.  I imagine that I'll be acclimating fairly soon though.  Even though we are currently slated for 80s on Friday, our weekend looks to be dropping back to highs in the 60s again.  We probably have a few more weeks though before 60s are more the norm.

I actually heard on the radio the other day that we usually average about 4 inches of snow in Oct.  Not sure I'm quite ready for that yet.

• Like 4

I have two words for you, Maddy:

Gutter Helmet

gutterglove-leafblaster3-300x225.jpg&f=1

We have a micro mesh style protection system.  The holes are VERY fine, and allow only water to get into the gutter.  Some types with larger holes will trap pine needles and leaf stems in the holes.  The types that work on surface tension (the actual Gutter Helmet product, for example) also work OK but can allow fine debris into the gutter, which may accumulate over time.

And five more words...

Don't climb ladders in thunderstorms!

lightning-strikes-uk.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I have two words for you, Maddy:

Gutter Helmet

image.png.0d7ee67bd994f9d64e4187944e86ef04.png

Thanks, Lindal.

I tried a fine mesh gutter guard in the past and even during moderate rains it overflowed on the worst section of my roof. Gutter guard looks better, as it's corrugated and provides a bit more area for water penetration. I might try it.

Even though I cleared the gutter before the heavy rain last night, it still overflowed. A napkin calculation, based on peak rainfall rate (7"/hr) from a nearby weather station, says my house and barn were dumping more than 400gpm into the lake at one point. I got just under six inches in just under three hours. This is the third storm of this magnitude to hit me this year. I'm all wet!

As for standing on ladders in thunderstorms...

...pfft!

When I was little I'd crawl up on the roof with Dad to watch storms blow in from the west. The only reason I don't do stuff like now is that my trees are too tall.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 2

It was 2degreesC overnight. We ran the heating last night for three hours. The second time this autumn (fall).

This morning it's around 5c......all our upstairs windows steam up with heavy condensation, but that's way better than growing up with no central heating, frost patterns on the inside of the upstairs windows, and a tumbler of water on the window sill which iced over.

Back then I got dressed in bed.

• Like 6

Good morning fun seakers! Happy Thursday! The weather is very nice here in Florida.  A hint of fall in the air in the early morning. However very hot and humid during the day still. I can't wait till winter comes and we get relief from the hell that is normal weather here in Florida. Have a great day all!

Peace!

dd0811fc907c99e10c9b9c5f929f5c2c.jpg

7f8a3f58e565637d396e6cc7bdf406bd.jpg

yg093.jpg

environment-day-drawing-everyday-needs-to-be-environment-day-everyday-we-need-to-care-of-environment-day-drawing.jpg

shih_tzu_hero_puppy.jpg

Edited by Hippie Bowman
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, BelindaN said:

that's way better than growing up with no central heating, frost patterns on the inside of the upstairs windows, and a tumbler of water on the window sill which iced over.

Back then I got dressed in bed.

I remember those days. I'd go to sleep under a mound of heavy blankets and wake up with frost on the window next to my head. As much as I enjoy having a good furnace and proper insulation, I still miss watching Orion in the sky out of my old bedroom window, and the feeling of crisp air and cold wood floors to wake me in the morning.  Those were good years.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

I still miss watching Orion in the sky out of my old bedroom window,

image.png.bfc02c40eb27c0f121e7547c73314494.png

Happy Thursday All, great visual description Rolig watching Orion out your window which may have looked something like this in the fall😁  Keeping with the stars theme now some Thursday wisdom from Yoda and Spock.  I just noticed that both have pointy ears, how weird is that!

image.png.899999d73516554b1effb9a244c5a9d5.pngimage.png.fb753a402de723a486d71675aac5e403.png

• Like 2

Good morning everyone! Happy Friday! Here is a thought for the day. - Thought for the day - We are all time travelers.  All of us are. We are traveling into the future. Everything we do or say effects the future. We all have the power to change the future for the good or the bad. The choice us up to you. - Hippie Bowman

Peace!

10686df3e818cdaf010efd3abf544430.jpg

a7876fff48fef99d0f1cb2c6eee3d6a6.jpg

more-coffee-please-l-fb-dog-on-fupny-more-coffee-please-30259125.png

GEN-Sutton-June-Time-Travel-2400.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 66 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.