Jump to content
Hippie Bowman

Where are all my friends? Come on in and lets get comfy by the fire!

Recommended Posts

image.png.ff580250a9f382db3638b0098e5d4264.pngimage.png.4e189e642957c520a8bc30f2b4400038.png

Happy Monday!  I'm with Hippie everyone start singing their favorite James Taylor tune to make it a great day.  Thank you JT for sharing your incredible gifts to all of us over the years.  And as a bonus for us in Minnesota today it is way warmer in the Carolina's so happy my mind is going there today😊 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

I've never had root beer and I have no idea what it is...........

If you're going to have a carbonated non-alcoholic* drink, root beer is the best (much better than the colas).  It's especially good with vanilla ice cream (together in a glass as a root-beer float).  That's my description of it anyway...  Maddy may have a different or better one.

* I think I saw a "hard" root beer in a store last summer - I can't imagine root beer with alcohol in it, but you never know, it could be good 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd heard (and apparently Wikipedia heard the same source) that root beer was invented by an American druggist. It was (still is, sometimes) made from sassafras or sarsparilla. In the version I heard the motivating factor was to find a substitute for regular alcoholic beer, and thus to reduce the amount of ruckus the local working men caused.

In a way, it's kind of fitting that it's become the beverage of choice for a woman that causes more ruckus than a legion of thirsty coal miners.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BelindaN said:

I've never had root beer and I have no idea what it is...........

It's nasty stuff - don't let them fool you

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What root beer is depends on who brews it. I've had some that was so heavy on the vanilla that it could almost pass for cream soda and some that was so minty you'd think you were swilling Pepto Bismol. At its best, it's sweet but you otherwise can't figure out what's in it.

Remind you of anyone?

...looks for her blowtorch while you all work up your answers.

Happy Tuesday, Kids!!!

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Root beer is best served over vanilla ice cream, as a float.  In a much younger phase of my life, I was a partisan of Dad's root beer, but was converted to A&W when I moved to the midwest in the 70s.  These days, my doctor frowns on such things, so I indulge only on special occasions like the 4th of July, when it's also fair to have a bratwurst with sauerkraut.  It's my meager nod to patriotism.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In a bid to preserve my three working neurons*, I don't drink alcohol. I also live in Wisconsin, which holds the top spot for binge drinking in the US. This contrast has been the source of endless wonderment about me over the years, and that's been additional incentive for my teetotaling in the form of root beer. My oppositional nature shows up everywhere. I'm also fond of taking simple ideas and driving them into the ground.

*A euphemism for my childhood best friend being killed by a drunk driver who ran up on the sidewalk and hit both of us from behind.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

In a bid to preserve my three working neurons*, I don't drink alcohol. I also live in Wisconsin, which holds the top spot for binge drinking in the US. This contrast has been the source of endless wonderment about me over the years, and that's been additional incentive for my teetotaling, in the form of root beer. My oppositional nature shows up everywhere. I'm also fond of taking simple ideas and driving them into the ground.

*A euphemism for my childhood best friend being killed by a drunk driver who ran up on the sidewalk and hit both of us from behind.

Root beer is cool because Snoopy drinks it, too. *Edit* Do you also drink Sarsparilla?

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Root beer is cool because Snoopy drinks it, too. *Edit* Do you also drink Sarsparilla?

Yes, Snoopy is another reason to like root beer. Many micro-breweries make brewed sodas like root beer, sarsaparilla and birch beer, and I'm always happy to see what they've conjured up when I visit one. Sarsaparillas are as varied in flavor as root beers and can easily be confused.

I agree with Rolig that A&W root beer is pretty good. I make myself a little pizza every Saturday evening, which I wash down with diet A&W root beer, sometimes in a float.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Yes, Snoopy is another reason to like root beer. Many micro-breweries make brewed sodas like root beer, sarsaparilla and birch beer, and I'm always happy to see what they've conjured up when I visit one. Sarsaparillas are as varied in flavor as root beers and can easily be confused.

I agree with Rolig that A&W root beer is pretty good. I make myself a little pizza every Saturday evening, which I wash down with diet A&W root beer, sometimes in a float.

My favorite as a youth was Sioux City Sasparilla. The can had a cowboy entering a saloon’s swinging doors on one side, and stumbling out drunk on the other side. An excellent image for youthful soda drinkers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I make myself a little pizza every Saturday evening, which I wash down with diet A&W root beer,

It seems a shame to drink root beer and then remove 90% of the taste by replacing the carbohydrate with fake sugar.  My doctor might approve of your choice, grudgingly, but if I am going to allow myself a root beer -- especially with ice cream -- I might as well have the whole experience.  Damn the torpedos.  Full speed ahead.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rolig Loon said:

Damn the torpedos.  Full speed ahead.

image.png.50391e58a381ed5c498401f588d103b3.png  Happy Tuesday!  Here you go Rolig, the best root beer out there

image.png.6fa4063802ecd3f3fe4c49776f137511.png

And, even throwing in a delicious Root Beer Float recipe😊  Love RBF's!

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...