Jump to content

Where are all my friends? Come on in and lets get comfy by the fire!


Hippie Bowman
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 143 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Clover Jinx said:

I have coffee and kolaches and a chocolate muffin. All is right with the world.

Replace the coffee with root beer and I'd agree that all is right with the world.

https://www.travelwisconsin.com/events/history-heritage/northeast-wisconsin-czech-kolache-festival-43127

I love the opening line of the description, "Welcome to the largest Czech Festival in Northeastern Wisconsin!"

It's the only Czech Festival in NE WI.

 

Happy Friday, Kids!!!

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Replace the coffee with root beer and I'd agree that all is right with the world.

https://www.travelwisconsin.com/events/history-heritage/northeast-wisconsin-czech-kolache-festival-43127

I love the opening line of the description, "Welcome to the largest Czech Festival in Northeastern Wisconsin!"

It's the only Czech Festival in NE WI.

 

Happy Friday, Kids!!!

Technically mine is a klobasnik since it has sausage and we spice ours up with jalapeno!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Replace the coffee with root beer and I'd agree that all is right with the world.

https://www.travelwisconsin.com/events/history-heritage/northeast-wisconsin-czech-kolache-festival-43127

I love the opening line of the description, "Welcome to the largest Czech Festival in Northeastern Wisconsin!"

It's the only Czech Festival in NE WI.

 

Happy Friday, Kids!!!

Many cities in Texas have kolaches (ham, sausage, jalapeño, all with cheese) at most small donut shops (often run by Asian shopkeepers).  But nowhere in Florida can I find kolaches!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Are there bialy sticks?

When I was in grad school, I often visited "New York Bagels and Bialys". The ovens were always running and the bakery was oh so fresh. The best part though was Lenny, the 80 something proprietor who wanted to run away with me to Gilligan's Island. How can you not feel better than when noshing on a bialy stick after besting Ginger and Mary Ann?

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A few hours ago, Xiola did a post titled 'Gif of the day', in place of the normal 'Pic of the day'.  Now, I need to know if it is just me and my computer/browser (though I tried two browsers), or if this so called gif really is just a picture.  I even when to Flickr and checked it there and I don't see a gif.  So, does anyone else see movement here?

 

and 

Frog Hollow

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

A few hours ago, Xiola did a post titled 'Gif of the day', in place of the normal 'Pic of the day'.  Now, I need to know if it is just me and my computer/browser (though I tried two browsers), or if this so called gif really is just a picture.  I even when to Flickr and checked it there and I don't see a gif.  So, does anyone else see movement here?

 

and 

Frog Hollow

 

 

Nope, no movement.
Although I did mistake it as a screen of modded skyrim at first. I might have some withdrawl, though.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Many cities in Texas have kolaches (ham, sausage, jalapeño, all with cheese) at most small donut shops (often run by Asian shopkeepers).  But nowhere in Florida can I find kolaches!

Believe it or not they have them at Wal-Mart.  www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Day-Farms-Sausage-and-Cheese-Kolaches-4-count/10811019 and www.walmart.com/ip/Kountry-Boys-Sausage-Bakery-Sausage-Kolache-12-oz/42294623 and some other ones.  I live in the Tampa bay area.  Never have tried that sausage.  I will have to look for them.

 

Peace!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Hippie Bowman said:

Believe it or not they have them at Wal-Mart.  www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Day-Farms-Sausage-and-Cheese-Kolaches-4-count/10811019 and www.walmart.com/ip/Kountry-Boys-Sausage-Bakery-Sausage-Kolache-12-oz/42294623 and some other ones.  I live in the Tampa bay area.  Never have tried that sausage.  I will have to look for them.

 

Peace!

I’m in St. Pete, do you recommend a particular Wal-Mart? Are they frozen kolaches?

*Edit* I get errors with both URL’s.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I’m in St. Pete, do you recommend a particular Wal-Mart? Are they frozen kolaches?

*Edit* I get errors with both URL’s.

 Oh bad links huh. No pun intended as we are talking about sausages. I bet they are frozen.   It may be best to call. I think any Wal-Mart.    I live in Hudson.  I will look for them there next time I go to the local Wal-Mart. 

 

Peace!

Edited by Hippie Bowman
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Hippie Bowman said:

 Oh bad links huh. No pun intended as we are talking about sausages. I bet they are frozen.   It may be best to call. I think any Wal-Mart.    I live in Hudson.  I will look for them there next time I go to the local Wal-Mart. 

 

Peace!

Oooh, you are North! I’ll check web and local. We also have “Walmart Neighborhood Stores” here. I avoid them all, but will venture forth for Kolaches! Or learn to make my own.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/28/2018 at 8:42 AM, Madelaine McMasters said:

It's the only Czech Festival in NE WI.

image.png.431e9951fd10d438efc762b6d1c77138.png

Oh there better be Polka music at the festival!  Loved hearing the Chmielewski FunTime band at Southern Minnesota festivals.  One of my all time favorite SCTV videos was a John Candy polka clip:

 

 

 

 

image.png

image.png

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This darn spastic weather is driving me nuts.  Friday it got down to 60F in the house (it was only about 55F outside), so I turned the heat on for a bit because I knew that the outside temp was not going to allow the house to warm on its own.  Then yesterday, outside temp was in the upper 70s / low 80s and the house warmed up right along with it so I turned the air conditioner back on for a little while to cool it down.  Then last night it dropped low again and I woke to a house that was reading 63F and had to pop the heat on for a tad.  The high is only expected to get to 68F, so not sure if the house will actually get there on its own later or not.  This time of year is just so crazy.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

This time of year is just so crazy.

Oh yeah. Keeping my basement office comfortable this time of year was nearly impossible without a little electric heater. In the dead of winter my office was always comfy, because the furnace was always blowing heat into the room. I have a new furnace now, with the ability to run the fan 24/7, and modulate both heating and cooling to minimize noise. So far I really have noticed a reduction in hot/cool spots. This has been the most comfortable, and least expensive, summer cooling season I've had and my office is more comfortable now than it usually is during this indecisive (heat?/cool?) weather. My thermostat automatically switches from heating to cooling, but it doesn't account for the "feels like" effects of varying humidity. And, I just discovered that the reason it's been ignoring my schedule is that it thinks I'm not home. When I wear a sweatshirt (as I do when working about the house) the motion sensor can't see me. I've disabled it.

Humidity is still an issue, as a reduction using the AC really requires a significant difference between indoor and outdoor temperatures. That's not possible at the moment, and we're a month or more away from outdoor dew points falling into the "dry" zone. My entire home has hardwood flooring and ornate woodwork, so keeping the humidity stable is more than just a matter of comfort. A quiet whole basement/house humidifier is on my shopping list. The nasty growling portable dehumidifier just outside my office door makes me so angry I want to hire landscapers to dig up my yard and install a basement window so I can hurl the thing through it.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our system will automatically switch between cool and heat if we set it that way, but it only uses a single temperature setting rather than a range.  Typically in the summer, we'll let the house go up to 72 before the air conditioning kicks in, but for winter we keep it set to 68 before the heat kicks in.  I don't want the air conditioning cooling it all the way down to 68 and I don't want the heater warming it up to 72.  I suppose we could set it to 70 year round and let the system heat or cool as needed to keep it there, but then I'd still be running the system a bit more than really needed for true comfort and thus have higher heating/cooling bills that really necessary.

What would be best is if I could set a high/low range such that it would kick in the cooling if it got above 72 and kick in the heat below 68, but do nothing other than the fan when it is inside that range.  I haven't researched thermostats in quite a while - maybe there is one that will now allow a range when using the heat & cool option.  And it must allow a different range for different times of the day -- like away at work and sleeping.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

What would be best is if I could set a high/low range such that it would kick in the cooling if it got above 72 and kick in the heat below 68, but do nothing other than the fan when it is inside that range.  I haven't researched thermostats in quite a while - maybe there is one that will now allow a range when using the heat & cool option.  And it must allow a different range for different times of the day -- like away at work and sleeping.

You can get thermostats that do exactly as you've described. Mine is furnace specific, but does that (cool to 74, heat to 68). There are four different lifestyle settings (Sleep, Wake, Home and Away) which hold different temperature settings, and I can schedule them anywhere during the day. My old Nest thermostat could do all of that, too. And both of them were accessible over the Internet, so I can turn things off when I leave the house, then start them up before I return so things are comfy when I arrive.

Spoiled, I am.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 143 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...