Jump to content

Where are all my friends? Come on in and lets get comfy by the fire!


Hippie Bowman

Recommended Posts

So.. Yeah. It just gets better and better.
After I woke up, the internet started having disconnects again. Of course, that was to be expected, since good things can't happen to me.
It gets worse though. The wasps I had in here yesterday, all nice of them? Not the only ones. Becausetwo hours ago, I saw three new ones on my ceiling lamp - and it wasn't particulary windy outside last night. Neither where my windows fully open. 
Well, I watched them a bit, and.. they kind of dissapeared into a small crack between ceiling and lamp. 
Last year, I joked with someone that there's gotta be(e) a nest of 'em somewhere, since I always saw a lot of wasps and bees on my balcony. 
I still remembered that, and went up to the attic, which is above me. There where a LOT of dead wasps.

So yeah, we have a nest. And OF COURSE they come to me.
I'm really tired of this crap.

  • Sad 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can get wasp killer powder, which we've used a couple of times. It works straight away. One nest was in an air brick in the wall. We left it a long time and then took the grille off and donated the empty nest to the local school. If you've never seen a wasps nest they are amazing.

Our second encounter was in the bathroom expelair............not so good. The exit grille is high up so it needed a ladder and proper protective clothing. When the grille was removed and the powder squirted into the hole, we were ready to run.....................but it was an anti climax..........nothing much happened. It sorted the problem.

We occasionally get a Queen wasp in the loft over winter, and when they wake up, it can be a challenge in such an enclosed space..........:S

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BelindaN said:

You can get wasp killer powder, which we've used a couple of times. It works straight away. One nest was in an air brick in the wall. We left it a long time and then took the grille off and donated the empty nest to the local school. If you've never seen a wasps nest they are amazing.

Our second encounter was in the bathroom expelair............not so good. The exit grille is high up so it needed a ladder and proper protective clothing. When the grille was removed and the powder squirted into the hole, we were ready to run.....................but it was an anti climax..........nothing much happened. It sorted the problem.

We occasionally get a Queen wasp in the loft over winter, and when they wake up, it can be a challenge in such an enclosed space..........:S

I think you're actually not allowed to do that in Germany. Wasps, much like bees, are a protected species here. So you need to let either the fire department (in case of allergy), or pest control handle it, since they can relocate a nest if possible.
This morning, I got my landlord on the phone, he's going to get pest control, although that might take a few days. He has to contact one of my neighbors (we're 7 parties in my home), because the attic actually has a closed up room to which they have the key. That room is directly above my living room, so we guess the nest is in there. Can't tell, since I don't have access, only saw the many dead wasps scattered in the part before that room. 
Oh, and I told him about the shutters, he'll also fix that, or rather, have the company who fixes those things contact me for an appointment - but he's paying that, of course. I really like him, he's very chill and a bit weird. I'm pretty sure he smokes weed.

So.. but what am I going to do in the meantime?
I can't stuff anything in between ceiling and lamp. I'm afraid of hights, so I can't climb the latter (I can't even switch the damn lightbulbs myself, seriously.). Even IF I could, I'm afraid of anything insectoid, so I'm really scared they'd feel (rightfully!) disturbed and attack me. Also, kind of afraid that whatever I stuff in their might cause some sort of electrical shortcut and/or catch on fire. 
Basicially, that's not an option for me and I am afraid of everything.
I might have to relocate me and the cat for a while, and visit my mother, but then neither the pestcontrol people, nor the people fixing my shutters can call me, since I'm basicially waiting for their calls now, and I do not have a mobile phone. Also, can't change the message for my answering machine for some reason (It's not a physical one, instead a service provided by my... provider!)

 

I swear I'm really, REALLY glad once this is all over.

Edited by Sukubia Scarmon
  • Sad 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

So.. but what am I going to do in the meantime?
I can't stuff anything in between ceiling and lamp. I'm afraid of hights, so I can't climb the latter (I can't even switch the damn lightbulbs myself, seriously.). Even IF I could, I'm afraid of anything insectoid, so I'm really scared they'd feel (rightfully!) disturbed and attack me. Also, kind of afraid that whatever I stuff in their might cause some sort of electrical shortcut and/or catch on fire. 
Basicially, that's not an option for me and I am afraid of everything.
I might have to relocate me and the cat for a while, and visit my mother, but then neither the pestcontrol people, nor the people fixing my shutters can call me, since I'm basicially waiting for their calls now, and I do not have a mobile phone. Also, can't change the message for my answering machine for some reason (It's not a physical one, instead a service provided by my... provider!)

 

I swear I'm really, REALLY glad once this is all over.

This is where pizza comes in handy. When I need a little help, not enough to hire someone, I'll bribe a friend with pizza or a home cooked dinner. Friends are a nice thing to have, Sukubia. Just have one climb a ladder and stuff paper toweling into the gap between the light fixture and the ceiling. They can push it into place with a kitchen knife (plastic if you're super concerned). If their work looks good, you can leave it there indefinitely. Otherwise, when the wasps are gone, getting the paper toweling removed simply requires another pizza.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

This is where pizza comes in handy. When I need a little help, not enough to hire someone, I'll bribe a friend with pizza or a home cooked dinner. Friends are a nice thing to have, Sukubia. Just have one climb a ladder and stuff paper toweling into the gap between the light fixture and the ceiling. They can push it into place with a kitchen knife (plastic if you're super concerned). If their work looks good, you can leave it there indefinitely. Otherwise, when the wasps are gone, getting the paper toweling removed simply requires another pizza.

My friends are all as scared as I am when it comes to wasps. No amount of pizza convinces them otherwise, I'm afraid! :D 
But actually, at least that part has been resolved! 
My landlord managed to get a hold of my neighbor, and she helped me and put some cloth between the cracks - now we need to see if I still get wasps in here. If yes, they have to come from another hole, but I highly doubt it. It's not a permanent solution, though. Wasps can chew through walls, what resistance could a piece of cloth be for them?
We went to the attic and took a look into the room directly above my living room - which apparently was her sons bedroom. No wasps there, not even a single one on the floor, so they're not comming from there, but from around.
We didn't see a nest, we didn't even HEAR anything. My neighbour suggested that they may have come through the ventilation shaft. But in that case, I would have had wasps in my bathroom and my boxroom, since they're connected to that, not my living room.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I love Fridays.
I love strong, dark coffee.
I love to hear children laughing.

There needs to be a word stronger than love to describe how I feel about Clover.

2018-06-27_007a.thumb.jpg.da9ae616edfbfe7dec9272d0ae405a38.jpg

It's funny how words change.  To a say I adore her now means more than love.

But I do.

 

Grok, the word you are looking for is grok.

I grok Rhonda in fullness.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the last time I heard of anyone groking successfully, it was Michael Valentine Smith and it was 1969.  Although maybe Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance came close in the mid-70s.  Or maybe that was Spock.  Spock sounds grokkier somehow.  In any case, groking's not a Millennial thing to do.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Clover Jinx said:

I'm not sure if I should be flattered that I'm perceived young enough to be a Millennial or not =o.O=

It's always wise to consider any oddball comment as a compliment, even if it was accidental.  We don't get enough compliments these days.  B|

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So.. apparently my wasp problem is no issue anymore.
My neighbor asked me if I had anymore wasp in here since she filled the hole with some cloth - I hadn't. "Hrrm, well maybe they really came out of it" - okay, so they doubted that, apparently, understandable, I mean, how many people do you know that have Wasps comming out of your ceiling. I'd wager not that many.
But since they're not coming out anymore, they don't think they need to get pest control. I'm still not convinced that a piece of cloth will keep them out for long, I mean, they can chew through walls, and I absolutely do not know how wasps nests function. I read they never use the same nest twice, others wrote the queen may start a new colony in the old nest. Or that a new queen may start a new colony in another swarms abadoned nest.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Tell me something I don't know.  :)

And Happy Monday to you too.  (Note:  It's Monday the 13th.)

While you will know the underlying principles, you may not have actually experienced this...

If you're carrying helium filled party balloons in your car and you slam on the brakes, they'll rush to the back of the car to avoid what they think you are about to hit.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...