Where are all my friends? Come on in and lets get comfy by the fire!

Hippie Bowman
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 70 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, Jameson2001 said:

image.png.ab2b8d0f02b34927ee4b3756b2e4a1cd.pngimage.png.fceb202a13b42eb361e3bbe770c72724.png

Hello Sukubia, relaxing on the I-5 heading into Los Angeles, and the I-87 in New York City:)  Actually, there are long stretches of open highway in our Interstate Highway System 47,000 miles roughly

image.png.90bba3eb3341f73a3635f1163008c81f.png

Yeah that looks a bit less relaxing, and more like our highways in vacation-seasons, heh.

6 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

In some places, yes.

Do you play the license plate game over there?
Here we try to find cars with all the different states plus a few specialty plates.  The utlra-rare Hawaii plate has still alluded me but there are people who have found them on the main land.

We don't really have different license plates for each of our states - I think only a small sticker shows which state the plate is from but you need to have really good eyes to see that while driving, heh.
Our's are 2-3 letters for the city,  1-3 letters of your chosing (most use their initials), and a number, indicating that there have at least be that many license plates with the same combination.
But  some people would play that game, just instead of different state, they'd look for different cities/countries. Others enjoy to figure out what the letters could stand for. Cityletters are usually used for mild insults, because every city is convinced they're the only good drivers, it's hilarious!

---------------
Also, went to the telekom-shop today, gave them my old router, mentioned I still have connectivity problems, they asked me for my mobile number, which I never have with me, nor do I remember it, so a friend gave hers. A call-center technician called half an hour later, while we ate breakfast. He was super nice, and restarted something he suspected to be the culprit - since my memory is pretty wonky, I forgott what it was, and told me to keep an eye on it for 24h - if it's not fixed, they'll send a technician to my home, to take a look at it.
Well, so far I had at least one disconnect.

When I came home with my grocceries, I opened the door to my balcony, and got greeted by a fat spider. I'm a borderline arachnophobe so it's super difficult for me to get rid of them, since I'm even afraid to go near them with a broom (I don't have a vacuum-cleaner). I don't know how, but I managed to get rid of it. I'm still thinking of inviting Maddy to cleanse my home with fire, though.

• Like 2

North East US / South East Canada in the fall is a classic scene.  I have yet to make the drive but we will do it soon now that we are temporarily retired.

driving-through-spectacular-new-england-

In the south western dry lands, there are rocks.  ... and a whole lot of nothing.

winged_rock_by_vermontster-dbg7mm4.jpg

Another nice thing about the southern plans are the sunsets.  If I can remember, I'll take a picture of tonight's sunset to show you.

• Like 6

I was going to post a picture of I-90/I-290/I-294 in Chicago, but it would be redundant.  These days, if you can avoid driving through major cities, you do. They're full of commuters and strangers to the area.  Locals take side streets or park 30 miles away and take the train or a bus.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

North East US / South East Canada in the fall is a classic scene.  I have yet to make the drive but we will do it soon now that we are temporarily retired.

driving-through-spectacular-new-england-

In the south western dry lands, there are rocks.  ... and a whole lot of nothing.

winged_rock_by_vermontster-dbg7mm4.jpg

Another nice thing about the southern plans are the sunsets.  If I can remember, I'll take a picture of tonight's sunset to show you.

Now that's some stunning foliage. Depending on where you drive, we got streets like that as well, although it looks mostly like this:
road-1712101_960_720.jpg

And that's also basicially as vast as it gets - you may have a few fields grass or any farm produce, but usually you drive by a village after a short while.
So that's whats faszinates me about the second picture - the pure vastness of nothing, in a much grander scale than anything we got. Also, the - to me, alien landscape.

But I guess that's absolutely horrifying in case your car breaks down in the middle of the road. 

Also, I'd like to see that, thank you! :D

• Like 5

Those spaces are there, Sukubia. A couple from what was probably my best road trip ever.

Utah, up north of Salt Lake. The flatness is because it was the bottom of Lake Bonneville thousands of years ago.

Idaho, somewhere around the southwest corner on the way to Nevada.

California, along the Modoc Plateau. It was a bit hazy that day (unusual up there; it's normally stunningly clear with skies you can't believe) but you can still see Mt. Shasta pretty well in the background. It's fifty miles away.

ROLL2DX-15A.JPG

ROLL3DX-2A.JPG

ROLL3DX-23A.JPG

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Dillon Levenque said:

Those spaces are there, Sukubia. A couple from what was probably my best road trip ever.

Utah, up north of Salt Lake. The flatness is because it was the bottom of Lake Bonneville thousands of years ago.

California, along the Modoc Plateau. It was a bit hazy that day (unusual up there; it's normally stunningly clear with skies you can't believe) but you can still see Mt. Shasta pretty well in the background. It's fifty miles away.

ROLL2DX-15A.JPG

ROLL3DX-2A.JPG

ROLL3DX-23A.JPG

You know, I can't even imagine looking that far, for some reason!
But I can totally imagine just driving there, with the radio-volume on max - but I'm pretty sure I worry about being so surprised when I see another car, that I'd just swerve right off the road, lol.

Also, what I try not to imagine - the temperatures!

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

Our's are 2-3 letters for the city

Small correction: Not the city, but the "district/county" the car is registered in.

And for spiders: Invite me. I'm less "all begone in flames", more "cup and a stable piece of paper"

Edited by Syo Emerald
  • Like 3

On 7/30/2018 at 10:22 AM, Dillon Levenque said:

Well, maybe not. Depends on the timing. You already know because you're on the road by now I'm sure, but it could get toasty. "SW Utah" I'm guessing was St. George or around there, suggesting Interstate 15. From there it's on across SW Nevada (desert) through Las Vegas, and on into California and the Mojave Desert. It stays desert all the way to the coast. Hot, hot, hot.

When you finally do get to San Diego it should be pretty nice; NWS says it's supposed to top out at 83 today (although it's already 79 at nine o'clock). Actually San Diego's desert, too, but they pipe in water and fake it. Have fun visiting the kids. Downtown San Diego is apparently a lot of fun to visit (I've only bombed through on the freeway a couple of times on the way to Tijuana).

Yep, we did the overnight in St George, so I-15 into the San Diego area.  The temp reading did show 104  at one point as we were driving through the desert.  Thank goodness for good air conditioning in the car.   My husband's son actually lives up near the Ramona area, so it is a bit warmer here than on the coast - mid 90s today.  

8 hours ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

I imagine driving in the US to be fun and relaxing, btw. If movies are somewhat right, you seem to have huge landscapes to drive through with pretty much few people on the road.

Most of the driving trips that we take are through some nice landscape combined with somewhat boring and hot desert areas, mostly because we live in a somewhat desert area and seldom do a driving trip that would be more than 2 days on the road.  The older we get, the less we like long car trips.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

Small correction: Not the city, but the "district/county" the car is registered in.

And for spiders: Invite me. I'm less "all begone in flames", more "cup and a stable piece of paper"

Ah! didn't really know the word for it, "circle" seemed a bit odd to me! :D Thank you!

You're absolutely welcome! I wish I could do it like that as well (since I recognize that 1) they don't wanna harm/scare me, and 2) they're actually usefull because they eat smaller insects), but I'm simply too terrified of them, up to the point where I can't sleep when I saw one running about.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Dillon Levenque said:

ROLL2DX-15A.JPG

ROLL3DX-2A.JPG

ROLL3DX-23A.JPG

There's a good reason why the roads are empty in places like this, of course.  NOBODY lives there.  It's too hot/dry/infertile for much more than subsistence living. If you raise cattle, you need to allow a large area for them to wander in, because there's not enough grass per sq km to support more than a cow or two.  These parts of the US can be very pretty, but for most people they are places to drove through, not places to drive to.  They are the places that spawned the phrase, "Nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there."

/me jumps back to avoid the barrage of outrage from natives of AZ. NM, UT, NE, .......

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yep, we did the overnight in St George, so I-15 into the San Diego area.  The temp reading did show 104  at one point as we were driving through the desert.  Thank goodness for good air conditioning in the car.   My husband's son actually lives up near the Ramona area, so it is a bit warmer here than on the coast - mid 90s today.  

Most of the driving trips that we take are through some nice landscape combined with somewhat boring and hot desert areas, mostly because we live in a somewhat desert area and seldom do a driving trip that would be more than 2 days on the road.  The older we get, the less we like long car trips.

I think it'd exite me far less if I'd live there and had to see it every other day. Like here, we allways want what we don't have! ;_;

• Like 3

wednesday-morning-coffee-quotes-hump-day

Don't ask me why I'm in a good mood (i have no idea). Actually it's probably due to being back on regular days (no more 10hrs) and the new employee I'm training (third time's the charm) is picking up things really fast and so far she's a great fit for our office.

• Like 8

Uff, melting, even though it's somewhat cooled off - today is the coolest day of the week, with 28°c.

Went to a game preserve/enclosure today and fed deers - they nibbled so cute, litte pot-bellied pigs and pigglets, seen a bird show with falcons, eagles and owls.
We even got to see a little racoon peeking out of his hut, some talkative goats. So yeah, I had a good time.

Came back home, AND I GOT MY PARCEL!
Internet still socks, though. 

• Like 7

22 hours ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

Uff, melting, even though it's somewhat cooled off - today is the coolest day of the week, with 28°c.

Went to a game preserve/enclosure today and fed deers - they nibbled so cute, litte pot-bellied pigs and pigglets, seen a bird show with falcons, eagles and owls.
We even got to see a little racoon peeking out of his hut, some talkative goats. So yeah, I had a good time.

Came back home, AND I GOT MY PARCEL!
Internet still socks, though. 

We went to a park like that when I was little. A pot-belly pigglet followed me for an hour through the park, until I had run out of snacks to give him (they had little vending machines, where visitors could purchase food for the animals). When we left in the evening, I saw a group of pigglets curled up in a nest between trees and bushes.

• Like 3

Pretty sure Clover deserves it!

Still melting. I'll get a visit from one of the technicians of my Internet Provider, who'll take a look at my house connection. But at this point, I'm keeping my hopes pretty low, because I doubt it'll be resolved soon. That'd be too lucky for me.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 70 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.