Where are all my friends? Come on in and lets get comfy by the fire!

Hippie Bowman

21 hours ago, Lia Sharpshire said:

Hello, I'm Lia and enjoy making friends ^^ been in SL for 9yrs just came back from a break of 4 yrs hope to make new friends since I've returned.

You came back?

Are you out of your mind??

Seriously, that the hell is wrong with you???

Okay, so of course you are out of your mind, therefore you'll fit right in!

Stop by for one of Hippie's Sunday Morning Breakfasts. Join his group and you'll get notices with landmarks each week.

Welcome back, Lia!

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

You came back?

Are you out of your mind??

Seriously, that the hell is wrong with you???

Okay, so of course you are out of your mind, therefore you'll fit right in!

Stop by for one of Hippie's Sunday Morning Breakfasts. Join his group and you'll get notices with landmarks each week.

Welcome back, Lia!

Thank you so much I happen to love breakfast myself :)

• Like 4

I took some time away from SL as I felt it was much needed, but I am back and looking to start over and remake friends. I’m into a number of things, but it’s difficult for me to describe myself and who I am or what I like. I just feel people out and go on from there. I want SL to be fun for me again.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Ashlyn Voir said:

I took some time away from SL as I felt it was much needed, but I am back and looking to start over and remake friends. I’m into a number of things, but it’s difficult for me to describe myself and who I am or what I like. I just feel people out and go on from there. I want SL to be fun for me again.

Welcome back Ashlyn.  Make yourself at home. Wow people! I have been watching the weather reports from up north. Michigan -15F. Minnesota -45F. Hats off to all of you that deal with extreme cold.  It got to 37F here in the Tampa bay area.  I thought I would freeze to death. Then I remembered all of you dealing with the polar vortex.  Whew. Kudos!  Have a great Thursday all!

Peace!

4737bc3df39379cfa611cf25419171ec (1).jpg

oh-its-throwback-thursday-Bring-on-the-old-pics--meme-31473.jpg

23c903bbc8baeeb7ac4dfd9e969e4752--coffee-humor-coffee-quotes.jpg

486603_505767969438212_1462097457_n.jpg

• Like 5

Welcome board Ashlyn and Lulu!

I woke to -23F and a working water heater. The house is making strange noises, mostly from snow/ice shifting on the roof. We're expected to be in the 40s by Sunday. And I don't have a swimsuit to wear, dammit.

Happy Thursday, Kids!!!

• Like 7

The thermometer here at dawn was -30, but it has already rocketed up to -23.  I think the polar blast has moved on eastward.  They say we'll be in the 40s this weekend.  I still say this is a heck of a way to run a winter.  I can't truly complain, though.  We have had snow, finally.  There's about 5 inches of it on the lawn now.

• Like 5

Happy Thursday All!  And now a message from our sponsor, THE POLAR VORTEX!

image.png.c849520a124f083ab9e44d2bd822cd04.pngimage.png.33989dc18313339244b0310a00273fa6.pngimage.png.7a711a2c055212ec4d3499baa1ef5fab.png

Stay safe and warm our there everyone!   Only 48 days till spring........

If you have not seen Office Space movie put it on your Netflix watch list, Bill Lumbergh is a hoot of a boss.  I have to admit, the wear a cat picture is pretty cute😁

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

As a fellow midwesterner, I'm sure you've heard someone say, "Don't like the weather? Wait a few minutes."

I heard that growing up in New England a very long time ago.  In fact, I'm fairly sure that Mark Twain said it,probably copying someone else. "Now, when I was young, we had snow drifts 8 feet high and the wind blew horizontally for a week. The snow came down so fast, Grandpa got lost headed to the barn."

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I heard that growing up in New England a very long time ago.  In fact, I'm fairly sure that Mark Twain said it,probably copying someone else. "Now, when I was young, we had snow drifts 8 feet high and the wind blew horizontally for a week. The snow came down so fast, Grandpa got lost headed to the barn."

"Lost in the Snow", a chapter from Twain's "Roughing It" is both an amusing and worrisome account of getting lost in a blizzard. If I recall correctly, Mark and his companions lost their horses in the midst of it, and tried in vain to find their way to safety. At about the moment they were giving up hope, they discovered they were just yards away from the warmth of a stagecoach inn, and the horses had found their way to the comfort of the accompanying stable.

In our family the "You think you have it bad? Well, when I was a kid..." stories are just as absurd as your horizontal snow, but shifted over a decimal place. I'm nothing if not lazy, and it was hard to get me out of bed on cold winter mornings to start my day of home-schooling. At the breakfast table, I'd often hear Dad's tales of woe, as he had to walk all the way next door to get to his school, and the trip from the school's front door to his classroom was longer than from his bedroom to the school's front door. And, of course, the stairs went up in both directions.

My daily commute was from my bed, down a short hallway to the stairs, after which I had to trudge all of 20 feet to the kitchen table, while enduring 60F because neither of my parents could be bothered to wake two hours before me and raise the thermostat to 68.

Pity me.

• Like 5

Happy Friday and First Day of February!

image.png.11e8c5dfd70a4d662b39749397144b09.png  Fun fact trivia to impress your friends😁

It’s the Romans’ fault. Our modern calendar is loosely based on their old, confusing one. Though records on the Roman calendar are sparse and sketchy, legend has it that Romulus, the first king of Rome, devised a 10-month lunar calendar that began at the spring equinox in March and ended with December. It is unclear whether there were any official months between December and March, but it’s likely they were left off because the wintertime wasn’t important for the harvest.

The second king of Rome, Numa Pompilius, decided to make the calendar more accurate by syncing it up with the actual lunar year—which is about 354 days long. Numa tacked on two months—January and February—after December to account for the new days.

The new months each had 28 days. But that didn’t sit well with Numa because even numbers were considered bad luck at the time. So, he added a day on to January, giving the year an odd-numbered 355 days. No one knows why February was left with 28 and remained an unlucky month. It may be related to the fact that Romans honored the dead and performed rites of purification in February. (The word februare means “to purify” in the dialect of the ancient Sabine tribe.)

• Like 2

Will Rogers wanted this quote on his gravestone...

“I joked about every prominent man of my time, but I never met a man I didn’t like.”

Given how he died, I wonder if it should read...

"I never met a man I didn't like, with the possible exception of Wiley Post."

• Like 2

On 1/31/2019 at 8:59 AM, Madelaine McMasters said:

"Lost in the Snow", a chapter from Twain's "Roughing It" is both an amusing and worrisome account of getting lost in a blizzard. If I recall correctly, Mark and his companions lost their horses in the midst of it, and tried in vain to find their way to safety. At about the moment they were giving up hope, they discovered they were just yards away from the warmth of a stagecoach inn, and the horses had found their way to the comfort of the accompanying stable.

In our family the "You think you have it bad? Well, when I was a kid..." stories are just as absurd as your horizontal snow, but shifted over a decimal place. I'm nothing if not lazy, and it was hard to get me out of bed on cold winter mornings to start my day of home-schooling. At the breakfast table, I'd often hear Dad's tales of woe, as he had to walk all the way next door to get to his school, and the trip from the school's front door to his classroom was longer than from his bedroom to the school's front door. And, of course, the stairs went up in both directions.

My daily commute was from my bed, down a short hallway to the stairs, after which I had to trudge all of 20 feet to the kitchen table, while enduring 60F because neither of my parents could be bothered to wake two hours before me and raise the thermostat to 68.

Pity me.

You poor thing.

Sorry; I'd have put a little more emphasis on that but after spending a few minutes trying to work up some honest pity I gave up.

The snow-related Twain story I like best is 'Cannibalism in the Cars", about a blizzard so severe it stopped a train out in the middle of nowhere. Among  other things it's a marvelous illustration of parliamentary procedure at its best.

Edited by Dillon Levenque
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Happy Tuesday Everyone!  Still recovering from Super Bowl Sunday!

image.png.8bb373b012e1a71dc19b90aa462eb9d2.pngimage.png.1d69795edecfe153085c54ae0befeb59.pngimage.png.4ce924a18ac49f1bf1696b045d48fd15.png

Try not yawning when viewing these photos😁

Things I can do now that football season is over!

1.  Read Tolstoy's War and Peace   (1225 pages that will take awhile)

2.  Begin working on that 10,000 piece Where's Waldo puzzle

3.  Start researching college basketball teams for March Madness tournament

• Like 2