Where are all my friends? Come on in and lets get comfy by the fire!

Hippie Bowman
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 66 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 minutes ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

And I just got my appliers for both avatars. 

See, that always happens when I rant about stuff - the second I sent it, it get's resolved, because the universe likes it when I feel like an idiot. That, or the creator reads this forum. In that case: Please don't be mad, I still love your creations and it's just about venting. Please love me. ;_;

So there is no booze? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

...pats the spot on the bench next to her and invites you to sit and watch for the next idiot. Nature eventually gets us all.

While I'd gladly follow that invitation, the way the universe works for me, you'd see me trip on the way to the bench. Twice. And then keep falling off of it for no apparent reason. Not complaining, that actually does makes things interessting once in a while. Ya hear that, universe? ONCE in a WHILE.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

The way the universe works for me, you'd see me trip on the way to the bench. Twice. And then keep falling off of it for no apparent reason.

Though the reason might not be apparent, she'll be sitting right next to you. When she pats a place to sit, find someone else to take it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Snugs McMasters said:

Though the reason might not be apparent, she'll be sitting right next to you. When she pats a place to sit, find someone else to take it.

I figured as long as I don't hand her anything that could start a fire I'd be safe!

• Haha 3

Gotta make good use of my extremely limited time.

Things that went well today: I got my new closet, it's lovely, and I didn't make my cat a living room in it so far.
The extremely nice guys who delivered my closet into the.. I think it's 4th story for US, in german it's third. (We count the homes at groundlevel different, apparently), and build it, also helped me with my shutters. They opened up the shutter-casing. The belt didn't actually break, but the shutters themselfes, where they hung on the winding thingy. So they made a quick emergency fix with some wire - they still need to get fixed, but for now they're up again so I get light and air into my apartment. So yeah, they made my day, big time!

Things that didn't  went well: I kinda still have too many clothes. My new closet is smaller, although can be better organized. I still have a huuuge problem with throwing away old stuff. Like I can't do that, because for some odd reason, I feel nostalgic for everything. I need more therapy.
Also, my internet is spazzing the frick out. I had.. maybe 1 hour of internet today, combined over the day. Also, no phone in that time.
Some say that may happen when temperatures get to hot, but I didn't have that problem until... well, today. However, I switched to VDSL three days ago, and in the rare time I got some valuable internet time, I kinda found some posts that that kind is more likely to get problems when it's hot. Which is nice. I'm paying more for faster internet which I propably won't be able to use for more than 2 hours a day, or rather night, when it's cooled down, or what?
I'm kind of afraid to jinx it, but it did actually last for the entire time I wrote this so far. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

44 minutes ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

I kinda still have too many clothes. My new closet is smaller, although can be better organized.

I have a hard time imaging all of my clothing fitting into a piece of furniture.  In the US, closets are built into the rooms - an attached storage room, so to speak.  Master bedrooms often have walk-in closets and they are typically stuffed - something like the first picture below.  Mine is kind of like the second picture, but I also have clothes in the closets of 2 other bedrooms, plus we have a dresser that contains most of the non-hanging stuff.

Closet-a.thumb.jpg.51665dc2a863ade9101507d7a3279cba.jpg  Closet-b.thumb.jpg.e34526a70283666f42eb871731cf776e.jpg

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I have a hard time imaging all of my clothing fitting into a piece of furniture.  In the US, closets are built into the rooms - an attached storage room, so to speak.  Master bedrooms often have walk-in closets and they are typically stuffed - something like the first picture below.  Mine is kind of like the second picture, but I also have clothes in the closets of 2 other bedrooms, plus we have a dresser that contains most of the non-hanging stuff.

Closet-a.thumb.jpg.51665dc2a863ade9101507d7a3279cba.jpg  Closet-b.thumb.jpg.e34526a70283666f42eb871731cf776e.jpg

What about small apartments in cities? 
I think I don't know any person that has a walk-in closet, not even homeowners - it's something rather rare here. I wonder if that might have something to do with how dense we live, compared to US people.
Interesstingly, what's hard to imagine for me is having more than one bedroom! (I don't know if childrens rooms are considered bedrooms as well). Most have one, and some do have a spare guest room, although that seems to be a fading thing here. Most rather make that a room to work in. 
Also, I'm kinda unsure if I would WANT a walk-in closet. I think for me, having just a dresser, is better. Because I HAVE to throw out old stuff once in a while. I'm afraid I might keep everything if I had the space for it.
I can't even throw old my graduation-shirt from Highschool. And I hated highschool. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

What about small apartments in cities? 

My last one-bedroom apartment was in the city (over 20 years ago) and had a smaller square walk-in, very similar to this one:
closet-square.jpg.398295708541e6b80413d0779af310b0.jpg

Most extra bedrooms in houses (child rooms, guest rooms) - have closets like this (usually 3-5 feet wide and 1.5-2.0 feet deep), though the ones in my current house are roughly 5-6 feet wide).
closet-small.JPG.2284d0d0589b6a7451286e138b41cfa9.JPG

I imagine in the super dense cities like New York, there is a lot less space in closets unless you are in one of the up-scale luxury places.  Out in the suburbs, the houses are probably similar to mine.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

Hey guys, I am on my way across the country to visit family, will likely be busy with RL vacation stuff and not getting online much for a while. So if you notice I am scarce, do not worry. (Those of you who are thinking, yay she is gone, disregard this message)

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

On 7/20/2018 at 7:19 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

In the US, closets are built into the rooms - an attached storage room, so to speak.

I don't know how universal it is but in my experience when listing houses with a real estate agent, if the room does not have a built in closet you cannot call it a bedroom.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:
On 7/20/2018 at 7:19 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

In the US, closets are built into the rooms - an attached storage room, so to speak.

I don't know how universal it is but in my experience when listing houses with a real estate agent, if the room does not have a built in closet you cannot call it a bedroom.

I think that's probably regional and depends on the age of the house.  I lived in new England when I was young, mostly in houses built before 1820.  Few bedrooms had built-in closets because the style when they were built called for freestanding cabinets -- armoires.  My sister has a closet in the master bedroom in her house, built in the 1790s, but only because it was added when they remodeled. There's an armoire in the guest room.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

*looks around in in her RL bedroom realizing it isn't one by Rhonda's definition* But hey - define what you want I will neither move the minibar, nor the TV nor the guitars out of my bedroom to make place for a closet - especially since my closet is so big I gave it its own room to live in...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

For modern housing in the US, I think the "general" rule is that it must have a built in closet, have a door into a common area of some sort, have at least one window, and have heating to be considered a bedroom - but I don't think that is universal across all states.  I'm pretty sure those are the requirements here in Colorado, but I also know that in some historic areas here they can call it a bedroom without a built in closet if they have an armoire attached to the wall.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I think that's probably regional and depends on the age of the house.

That could be it.  When we built this house, we used the closet area of one room and added it to the closet of the second bedroom to give my then 14 year old daughter a walk-in closet.  The builder warned us that when we sell the house, we cannot call it a 4 bedroom.  It's 3 bedroom with an office.

And again this past weekend while visiting friends in Austin that are renovating their old house, he told us how wanted to use closet space from one bedroom to increase the size of the second bath so they were looking at taking 2' off the living room so he could still call it a 4 bedroom house.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 66 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.