Where are all my friends? Come on in and lets get comfy by the fire!

Hippie Bowman

15 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Sadly, what works best is giving up on pepperoni pizza, garlic sausages, kimchi, and a number of other yummy foods that probably shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence and certainly not eaten in the same sitting.

...dips a slice of sausage/pepperoni pizza in a bowl of kimchi while sipping root beer... and glares at you

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Good morning, Hippie.   Good morning, all.

I'm in a fairly good mood today.  My boss has agreed to let me work from home every Wed, and soon two days a week.  I'm one of those people that can do without the office environment and love working from home.  I could easily do it all the time.  I thrived when I broke my foot and got to work from home for 3 solid months. Of course my home computer setup is a bit messed up right now, so I can't hook up my laptop to my big monitors today, but I'll survive on this tiny screen for now.

Just gotta get over the midweek hump and it's all downhill to the weekend.

Temp.jpg.0a3d1f66aeb14aa7582b54994c63c41a.jpg

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Clover Jinx said:

*pounces at the screen* Ouch! I knew it was just an image.

Don't even THINK about pouncing on a bird so beautiful! Besides,  it looks like a raptor of some kind, so it would probably do one of those instant vertical things and you'd wind up nose-down in what looks like very soft snow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Dillon Levenque said:

Don't even THINK about pouncing on a bird so beautiful! Besides,  it looks like a raptor of some kind, so it would probably do one of those instant vertical things and you'd wind up nose-down in what looks like very soft snow.

AND knowing my luck I would land perfectly on one of those pokey things (like I did when I was 8)* and get a hole in my other eardrum. =x.x=

*Safety tip: broken chain-link fences are not gymnastics equipment

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

I learned early in childhood, when we lived someplace where it snowed a little several times during the winter, that no matter how soft and fluffy snow may look, it is neither.  

Yeah, if you want fluffy, it has to be cold.  If it's warm, you get snowman snow.  The real problem is that if it's cold enough to get fluffy snow, the air's too dry, so you don't get much of it. at a time. Unless you're really lucky (like living in the mountains), nice fluffy snow is still shallow enough that you bang your nose on the rocks underneath. Kinda like jumping into a nice "soft" pile of leaves in the fall.

• Like 2

That's a snowy owl. The snapshot comes from the 2017 Sony photo competition and it's just wonderful. Imagine the photographer's reaction upon seeing the result in the display after snapping the shot. I wouldn't be surprised if there was hooting enough to shame the owl.

I've never seen one, but Mac just reported spotting one while out snowmobiling in northern Wisconsin, along with several bald eagles.

...grumbles.

• Like 3

They are considered a 'rare' sighting in CO with usually less than a dozen sightings a year in CO, but I'd love to see one someday. 

I'd also love to see a snow leopard, but I'll have to travel quite a ways for that.  We were at the San Diego zoo over Christmas, but their's was hiding that day.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It is a Snow Owl - they are gorgeous creatures.

Thank you! I can see that now; it's quite obvious once you really look at the shape and color pattern of the head, to say nothing of the shape of the eye, that what we're seeing is the RIGHT eye (because the owl turned its head to see what the camera noise was, probably). Rhonda seems to have gotten that straight off. I should have twigged to that from the eye's shape and slant; I just assumed it was the left eye of a bird looking forward. I was too busy looking at those powerful wings.

Gorgeous is really not enough to describe that bird, is it? I wish I knew a better word.

At least I was right about the raptor build; owls definitely be raptors.

ps: I read an account once of an ornithologist, or possibly an aeronautics engineer, who'd purposely arranged things to attract an owl to stoop on him. It knocked him down! I don't recall the exact words, but the gist was that it felt as if someone had flung a bowling ball at his chest.

Edited by Dillon Levenque
  • Like 4