Where are all my friends? Come on in and lets get comfy by the fire!

Hippie Bowman
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 71 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 hours ago, Hippie Bowman said:

Lol Maddy! Funny video!

Funny? You think I'm being funny?

I'm an engineer. I don't need engineers to design me a combustible lemon. I can do that myself.

I know who you all are.
And I have a very particular set of skills.
Skills I have acquired over a very long career.
Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you.
If you switch from coffee to root beer right now, that will be the end of it, I will not pursue you.
But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will burn your house down... with combustible lemons.

Happy Thursday, Kids!!!

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

image.png.d127f8c62ebff9f43a4e9f4f1fdc541b.png

Happy Friday!  Hippie love your dog photo does that little guy look like a Gremlin, or what?:D   And, thought we could all use profound thought on a Friday as well:

image.png.572911f1a5ac06bec92d8f7f9b9a700c.png

So be thankful if you grew up without computers, cell phones, and the internet cause your special now.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jameson2001 said:

So be thankful if you grew up without computers, cell phones, and the internet cause your special now.

My kids cannot imagine life without their phone - I often forget where mine even is and it will sometimes go dead just because I haven't looked at it in days.  B|

• Like 3

The only reason I have a smartphone is because someone gifted me their old one.

I don't really use it - I never take it with me, never put money on it.. basically I only have for a few people on whatsapp. And only because the desktop-version of that app needs the phone running. 
I'm speshul.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

The only reason I have a smartphone is because someone gifted me their old one.

I have a smartphone because it's actually cheaper than maintaining my old land line.  I don't give out my number, so hardly anyone ever calls except for robocalling IDIOTS. The smartphone is a way for me to make an occasional call a few times a week. That's it.  Oh, and also, as I just discovered while traveling in Europe,  it's a way to keep up with e-mail and these forums when I can't lug around a computer. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Oh, and also, as I just discovered while traveling in Europe,  it's a way to keep up with e-mail and these forums when I can't lug around a computer. 

We do like our smart phones for traveling - for maps, directions, and looking up reviews on places we see when out wandering about. 

My husband and I have shared a 1 GB data plan for 3-4 years now.  The highest usage we ever hit was about 780 MB when traveling and our normal monthly average is about 375 MB.

3 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

I have a smartphone because it's actually cheaper than maintaining my old land line

Our new cell phone service costs nothing for the lines (because we have Xfinity internet) and only $12 for 1 GB of shared data, plus applicable taxes. Definitely cheaper than the land line and tons cheaper than my old Verizon service also.  My husband insists on keeping the land line though (at least for now).  Partly because our old phones had such horrid voice quality, he preferred to use the land line whenever possible.  Partly because cell phones can go dead and if power is out, they can't be charged easily - whereas the land line pretty much always works.  However, our new cell phones have much better voice quality, batteries that last for days and also have a few built in power saver options.  Worst case, we can go plug it into the car and drive around a bit to charge it.  I'm personally getting really tired of paying for the land line - maybe soon I can ditch it.

• Like 1

I got rid of my land line in 2002. I use my iPhone regularly, but not to make calls. I use it to :

check the weather and news
send messages
play music and YouTube videos
control my house
measure and level things
scan documents
photograph wildlife,
purchase things (super convenient in an Apple Store)
scan QR codes
maintain my calendar
create reminders
time pizza in the oven
fly my camera drone
find the International Space Station, Iridium satellites and other things in the night sky
find out which airliner is producing the contrail over my head
hold my boarding ticket for airline flights
manage my bank account
get directions to places
measure sound levels (pretty good compared to my professional sound meter)
get error codes from my cars via OBD-II (this has saved me hundreds in mechanic's fees)
post on the SL forums!

iPhone compatibility is actually a must-have as I shop for a new road trip car.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I have an app that lets me scan my groceries while I put them in the cart so I can check out in an instant.

29 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

And that's necessary because .... ?

Amazon and a few other places are trying this out.  I suppose if I scanned the item and then put it in a bag right away, it might work, but I'm pretty sure I don't shop in the order that things need to be bagged. Thus if I bag as I go, I'll have to spend lots of time shuffling things in the bag.  If I don't bag until I'm done, then everything has to come out of the cart to go into a bag and I can scan it then.  Therefore I don't understand how scanning it as I put it in the cart would actually save me any time.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 71 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.