Whats gonna happen

DelizaLove

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3400 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Nothing will happen. A beta is a test, not a version ready to be released. You have to be insane to shut down your current source of income, if you have not a second cow, ready to milk. And nobody can say for sure when and if this beta test is going to start or how long it will take until the beta will result in a final version. As far as we know this could take more than a few months...maybe next year at this time we still won't see a thing? And even when this new world opens its gates, SL won't be shut down. It will run next to their new project and you will have time to test the water....LL may act strange sometimes, but as I said before, they are not suddenly kill what gives them money....just imagine if the new project is a failure...             

But one thing is for certain: You won't be able to transfer your stuff. Because improvement is impossible if you drag all the things based on an old system with you. Its easier for them to not have to battle with this. Just imagine if they want to give the avatars a new improved body....this would probably kill all the old texturebased clothes in some way.

So....do not expect to be able to pack your stuff, but also do not start to panic. The sky isn't falling down anytime soon.

Even when the beta is over and the grid is ready, it will still be a long time before the content available there will be as varied and as much as the content available in SL.  So it will probably take a few more years before anyone migrates to the new grid permanently other than pioneers that can create their own content.  Some people will probably not migrate at all and stay in SL.  And other will use both worlds.

It is unlikely you will be able to take any of your inventory with you unless you created 100 percent of any item , including mesh, scripts and textures, animations etc. AND it is compatible with the new grid.  It is too early to say what will transfer and what won't because LL doesn't know yet.  If anything can transfer the creator will have to do that not people that own a copy here as that copy was bought under a license that said it was for SL and the new grid will not be SL.  What I doubt will go is prim based items, clothing because it won't fit the new avatars, scripts because LSL won't be the script language there, probably not animations since they are based on this avatar not the new one.

There isn't any point in building a new grid if it will be exactly like this one.  Personally I hope it is much better even if I have to start over.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3400 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.