Please LL, fix the animation bugs!

Medhue Simoni

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4751 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

First, I must say, SL has 1 of the most amazing animation systems that has really ever been conceived of to date. That being said, it is all ruined by the neglect of fixing bugs.

---------------------------------------------------

The Most Crucial bug

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-138

This bug is major. It essentially breaks the ability to hold anything in your hand and walk or run. The walks and run will completely override the hold animation. Walks and runs should work with priority 3 animations, and then the hold should be a 4, but currently, this does not work. Fix it, please.

------------------------------------------------

Longest running crucial bug

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-3783

This bug has gone on for years and years and years, with LL refusing to fix it. This affects every looping animation and the manual fix is to actually add frames to an already perfect animation. It is appalling that this bug still exists. The affects of this bug are most noticeable when making a set of looping sit ground animations that you randomly change.

-----------------------------------------------------

Most annoying animation bug

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-1793

This is another bug that has gone on for a very long time, and I actually think it is 1 of the oldest animation bugs. It has to do with the hand animation, some how, switching to spread hands on animations set for relaxed or fists, at least that is my observation.

-----------------------------------------------------

Maybe each individual 1 does not seem like a big deal, but each 1 adds annoyances to the customer and completely breaks immersion. Plus, it just looks bad for every1, from the animators to the users to machinima makers to Roleplaying sims, who are all trying to show how wonderful SL is. These are the major bugs to me, and if any1 has anymore related to animation, please post them in this thread. Maybe 1 will get fixed, some day.

• Like 1

I think the looping bug is really just a side effect of the necessity of being able to blend from one animation to the next.  Animations are "lossy", too, which means that delicate nuance is often just optimized out.  If there were a way to turn off animation blending from one clip to the next if you knew for a certainty that you weren't going to have to blend your animation with some unknown whatever from somebody's overrider,  it might give us a bit more flexibility.  Pretty sure that's intended as a feature, not a bug.

The looping bug is well documented and a fix was created by a resident and submitted to the jira for processing. Now, it has been well over a year, and nothing has been done. It is a complete lack of management. The reason this bug is important to fix, is that it will keep changing. The last time that I was able to use the official viewer, I saw a jump in a loop that was never there before. I've been making animation for SL for over 4 years now, and I know when the is a kink in a loop. This bug gets worse over time, and will continue to do so until the fix is implemented.

The reason, I fear, that they are not implementing the fix, is that they may think it will break more content. Actually, this bug does not break anything, it adds things to the animation that it does not need, which forces the animator to over compensate. The fix would just make some animations end a slight bit earlier than they should, but this is not different from the bug, just in reverse. From then on tho, we can make perfectly looping animations that will always be perfect. Right now, we are just waiting for the next change that will make loops worse.

Blending has nothing at all to do with this bug.

Just incase any1 did not realize, if your viewer is not running at over 30 fps, you are not seeing the animation perfectly and you can miss bad loops.

Totally agree with you Medhue.

Animations are just really easy low hanging fruit to fix and have an incredible amount of potential compared to any other animation system out there. There is some really good tech here beyond the obnoxious barriers that are the aforementioned bugs as well as the BVH parser.

It is just a shame that these issues aren't being tackled and these are things that make life a lot harder on content creators.

Ditto!!!

I don't think many people understand how important animation is to any virtual world or game. I watch people in other games just jump up and down because they like seeing the animation. Plus, SL has by far more motion capture in it then all the games in the world put together. I would also venture to say that animation sales can rival that of fashion, even tho it just does not get as much hype, nor is there as many that can make animation, compared to clothing.

Yet, do you ever here LL talk about animation. Heck, most of the time, they forget to even include it in categories. For the longest time, in 1 promotion, they were calling animation things gestures. Most gestures don't have anything to do with animation. LL was even going to call the Adult sims AO, or Adult Oriented. WTF! It is like they forget that animation exists, and you still see alot of lindens not wearing an AO.

• 5 weeks later...

Nexii Malthus wrote:

Totally agree with you Medhue.

Animations are just really easy low hanging fruit to fix and have an incredible amount of potential compared to any other animation system out there. There is some really good tech here beyond the obnoxious barriers that are the aforementioned bugs as well as the BVH parser.

It is just a shame that these issues aren't being tackled and these are things that make life a lot harder on content creators.

See, you, me, and just about every1 else would think of these as low hanging fruit, but to LL, it is not even on their radar. They broke all walks, runs and turns over a year ago, and nothing has been done about it. I'm referring to the 1st bug i posted.

Just look at this thread, no lindens have commented, as I suspect they have nothing to say about it. Obviously, animation is of no importance to them. Maybe, the animators of SL should consider just moving their operations to 1 of the alternative grids, as they don't have some of these bugs and I'm positive that they consider animation much more important than LL does. Especially, since I still keep getting requests from those alt grids to bring my animations.

Please LL, will you respond or acknowledge that you know about the animation issues. I've already gone to office hours, and even tho Nyx said he would look into all this, I've seen nothing done. That was over 6 months ago. If LL needs any animation or systems to check these bugs or reproduce them, I'm available 24/7 for this, and I'm willing to spend months on end to help fix these.

• 3 weeks later...

Good news!!! I don't know when this happened, as I've been doing alot of other things not related to this issue for the passed couple months, but it seems that priority 3 animations are working again. I just created a walk and run that both work right when holding an object with a hold animation. Yay!!!!

Turns are still messed up tho. Right now, the only way to completely overide the default turns is by uploading them as a priority 4. If you upload it as a priority 3, the legs will be overriden by the default. This is a problem when using something like a combat system and trying to hit some1 and then turn, in which case the turn will completely cut off the strike animation. I suspect that the default turn animaiton have the wrong priority and if it was lowered, then the problem would be fixed.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4751 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.