Okay this is bothering me...

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4794 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What I mean is that it's a lot of black text on white, which is stark, and little separation between threads. I don't see any way to customize it. Maybe some darker alternating colored bands to start with. I don't know what it is but I have been in a lot of forums and something about this one makes it hard to scan threads.

Pamela Galli wrote:

What I mean is that it's a lot of black text on white, which is stark, and little separation between threads. I don't see any way to customize it. Maybe some darker alternating colored bands to start with. I don't know what it is but I have been in a lot of forums and something about this one makes it hard to scan threads.

it seems that way to me as well, the screen is very cluttered and using bold for thread titles, poster name, times and dates only makes the situation worse.  I think it would make an enormous improvement, if they were to only use bold for the thread title.

An additional improvement  would be to change the titles from bold to normal text if a thread contains no unread postings like most other forums. Presently  the only way to skim thread listings skipping those that one has read completely is by the number which appears in the "New" column. Although this is useful, it should not be the primary visible means of indentifying threads with unread postings.

Earlier, before redoing my badge, I saw that your badge had the problem of the top repeating on the bottom. But as both our badges looked right the next time I came to this page, I assumed that you had fixed yours and that mine was fine.

Coming back to this page after logging out, I find that once again both our badges display the problem. An inconstancy that needs to be fixed, and no amount of wasting time fiddling with images will get it right until the bug is fixed.

Afer a closer look, I realised that what is happening, is that the badge image is clipped or repeated  in order to encompass the text. So different browsers and/or operating systems will give a different effect.

BadBadges.png

Here are two screenshots, one from my Windows laptop, the other from a Linux computer both running Firefox. Notice the slightly difference font sizes, causing the "Registered" text to split over two lines, causing a partial repetition of the background image. It seems that the only way to handle this smoothly would be to use a "tile-able" image for the badge.

Also I just noticed a major spelling error, there is no such word as "Honored"  :). Actually on a more serious note, as a company that plays to the international market, one would hope that LL would make more of an effort to actually realise that the rest of the world is not just another US state.

Pamela Galli wrote:

And I see you have the same problem with your badge -- the top is repeated at the bottom. I tried several times to get the right size. 

I had that too until I added more white space at the bottom. My badge background image is now 300 pixels high. The forum software simply crops the image on the right and at the bottom if it's too large.

would of been so nice to have them list the proper sizes so we wouldnt be fiddling so much with resizing and cropping -looked around for that and no where to be found. Just had to experiment and see what worked..in the end I noticed every single image I brought up and saw on the 'preview' for the badge had actually uploaded and was in my images page..lol I deleted all my trials and errors..hehe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4794 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.