Numbakulla, beautiful MYST-like game in SL, closing due to money

Nika Talaj

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4786 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The creators of the Numbakulla "puzzle" sim (it was a team effort) have regretfully announced that they can no longer cover the tier.  I learned about it here. Its game has been played by 28,500 people. 

I'm not involved with this sim at all, nor is anyone I know.  I just encountered it for the first time this week.  Numbakulla is beautiful, very magical, poetic, and entertaining.   I wish there was some way that LL could partner with residents to ensure that bulds that showcase SL at its best, builds that have already been carried for years by their creators, are preserved and fostered.  I cry for LL's lack of vision in letting this one slip away.

The makers hope to move it to OpenSIm somewhere.

Sad to see....due in part to a manipulated ALL Search system, the ineffectiveness of Classified adverts in Viewer 2, plus the Events tabs being cockeyed...all contributing to the lack of traffic for SL Businesses. RedZone/ Green Zone civil war didn't help either!

SIM tiers remain outrageously too high....that's the only constant since 2006!

Seeing the Nemo Trilogy of sims disappear, was also very sad outcome.

I support favoritism in SL by LL.  I really want there to be some sims and creative efforts marked as special, as contributing to SL as a whole and how it is presented to the world.

I know it would be a nightmare to set up (like how Destinations, Showcase and traffic are scammed now) but there has to be some way to perserve sims that are really the best SL has to offer.

Maybe that will be the best role for Open Sim, as an archive and conservator of what LL fails to value.

Makes me sad (like the loss of Privateer)

I thought he closed Nemo to rebuild it?

That's a good idea, altho having just discovered it I'm not the person to do it.  And it's closing today - no time to learn about it, really.  However, I can pass the idea on to the thread I pointed to above, tho - 3 of the team involved in creating it have posted there.

By the way, I haven't visited the History Wiki for quite a while, and it seems to have perhaps been merged into a larger wiki ... is this the place you mean:

http://secondlife.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Historical_Locations

?

You know what would be neat is if LL, as a demonstration project, backed the redevelopment of Numbakulla using a mix of mesh, sculpties and prims.  Same game, up-to-date execution.  Free sim during development and up to 6 months afterward.  Token payment for team members, but lots of visibility and press.

If I heard any interest from LL for that, I'd be willing to step in, carry the tier on the current sim for a month of planning, and maybe even lead the project if none of the creative team wanted to.

/stares into a Linden's eyes.  I know you're reading your brand new forum.

It's not the job of Linden Lab to support resident sims, even very good resident sims, when people cannot pay the tier.

The job of Linden Lab is to make and suppor the platform and create fair and equal conditions for any kind of activity on it within the law.

When a sim like this closes, it means the community did not value this build sufficiently to enable it to stay. Those are the facts. People are quick to demand that "somebody" pay for tier, but they never want that "somebody" to be themselves. 28,500 is not very many people, given that Numbakulla has been around for at least 6 years. As long as I can remember, it has been a feted oldbie build with lots of Linden attention in terms of writing about it in their publications and so on and featuring it on their Destinations.

Yet precisely because it *is* a Myst-like game, it's not for everyone, and perhaps even frustrating.

I don't think Lindens should play favourites to "rescue" sims. They already play favourites by putting them in Destinations, and this game has already been featured for a year in Destinations.

Rather than weeping for lost sims, get your friends together, and if you get enough of them together, perhaps you can rescue it. But if you can't do that, it means it isn't sufficiently valued, so don't expect others to value it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4786 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.