Hot keys for camera controls?

Ceka Cianci

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3194 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Are there any hot keys or anyway to use the camera without using the mouse?

I'm using that SLGO and it's almost impossible to use commera controls with the mouse in a sim with a lot of traffic..

It glues stuck and just keeps spinnng until the lag spurt is over and  god only knows where my camera ends up by the time it's done being stuck hehehe..

Everything is great as far as moving around..I get a little rubberbanding here and there..but the mouse camera fuction just makes me jump back on a regular viewer because it's pointless if i can't use the camera...

stuff could rez in the blink of an eye,but it's not much good if the camera is running all over the place out of control hehehe

I'm curious  if there are any key commands  on the keyboard that i can use inplace of the mouse for situations of thick lag?

Its too bad we cannot rebind keys in SL. I would love to change turn L/R into move L/R and vice versa - putting the turn on shift.

I'd also like to be able to turn off left mouse click, and have it instead act as the modifier for turn above, and then put 'left click' onto the 'X' key or center mouse button (scroll wheel).

- that would allow me to move around in SL as fast and naturally as one can move around in an MMO.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Its too bad we cannot rebind keys in SL.

Actually you can.  I modified my movement keys to match the way I have always configured them in online games that I have played through the years.  It takes a little work to do it, but in "YourViewerNameHere"\app_settings is an xml filed named keys.xml.  Use an xml editor, and go through and change the key bindings where you like, save the file, and then all you need do is keep a copy of it that you can paste into the folder on subsequent version upgrades. 

Kenbro Utu wrote:

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Its too bad we cannot rebind keys in SL.

Actually you can.  I modified my movement keys to match the way I have always configured them in online games that I have played through the years.  It takes a little work to do it, but in "YourViewerNameHere"\app_settings is an xml filed named keys.xml.

Oooooo. o.O

Time to mess up my viewer. :P

It was in a slightly different place on a Mac:

Macintosh HD ▸ Applications ▸ Second Life Viewer.app ▸ Contents ▸ Resources ▸ app_settings

(you have to right click the application and choose 'show package contents' - I assume this means it will get wiped out with every update...)

I notice there is no ability to rebind running or clicking.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Keyboard_mapping

My changes so far:

<binding key="A" mask="SHIFT" command="turn_left"/>

<binding key="D" mask="SHIFT" command="turn_right"/>

<binding key="Q" mask="NONE" command="turn_left"/>

<binding key="E" mask="NONE" command="turn_right"/>

<binding key="A" mask="NONE" command="slide_left"/>

<binding key="D" mask="NONE" command="slide_right"/>

<binding key="W" mask="SHIFT" command="stop_moving"/>

<binding key="SPACE" mask="NONE" command="jump"/>

<binding key="F" mask="SHIFT" command="jump"/>

<binding key="SPACE" mask="SHIFT" command="toggle_fly"/>

Other keys as usual for SL.

No keybind for sit either, or I'd bind that to 'X'. But I might move crouch there.

• 6 months later...

You can either set your own somehow (I forgot if you can) or just mess ith your entire keyboard from start to finish to see what you can come up with. Some feautres can include hovering over things and they can display the little info tag and show if there is a bound key to it..

I use most often:

Crtl + 1 = orbit camera control in Build

Esc = resets camera to where it was originally

Those are only the ones I use most often but you can do others if you find them ... lol

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3194 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.