Sign in to follow this  
Wallace Wirefly

RLVa viewer vs. RLV install use in Open Collar

I know that there differences in how this is used in SL. Some third party viewers already have a form of RLVa installed in viewer. Inworld there is Open Collar which is as it states and open source for use with RLV. Which is better suited to work with this code? In looking at say Catznip it states: RLVa shares no code with Marine Kelly's RLV implementation. Also there it states: RLVa has been in majority use since 2009 and is what most users experience as or equate to being RLV even though that refers to a different specification and implementation. So compatibility, it seems, can be an issue and am wondering will this cause the scripting used in devices Inworld to create conflict or even override some preference's or not allow one to control? So which would be best to use: RLVa in viewer or to install RLV on computer.? Thanks.

Firestorm uses RLVa. So do most other viewers that are RLV-compatible.

The differences are slight, when you look them up, and Firestorm is reckoned the most widely-used Viewer. One I noticed was a restriction on channel numbers used, to avoid an LSL restriction on message length. I think if I were writing code, I wouldn't want to be caught by the difference.

The combination of slight changes and widespread use tips the balance towards RLVa.