How to create a cool forum avatar \ badge

Suella Ember

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3104 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Darrius Gothly wrote:

Has anyone been able to find online documentation from the "Customer" (end users .. us) perspective? Docs on how to use the various features, how to configure your profile, what some of the choices mean, etc.? 

The more specific to the SL implementation of the software and it's features is here:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/help/faqpage

You can access this from the 'Community Help' link near the top right (on the white part of the page not the black bar).

It's fairly comprehensive although I don't think it covers every single feature.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suella Ember wrote:

The more specific to the SL implementation of the software and it's features is here:

You can access this from the 'Community Help' link near the top right (on the white part of the page not the black bar).

It's fairly comprehensive although I don't think it covers every single feature.

Thank you.

Thanks Suella!

I played around with both the bayfog & the toyko madness badge themes.  It seems that positioning of the image for the badge is a bit different depending on the one that you use.  Bayfog seems to shift the image 4px up and 3px left compared to toyko madness.

A good tip to deal with badge resizing is to keep a bit of a white border on the right and the bottom of your image so that if the badge size does change the image won't repeat.  This extra white space is cropped if it is not needed.

There's been a lot of great custom badges created using all of the different themes.  Kudos to all for your creativity!!

and for those who haven't figured it out already, you can upload a 1x1 transparent image for your avatar, which will NOT push your name down the screen, and will shorten the height of your badge....

you can also select what information to include in your badge (topic = the number of threads you started, solutions = correct answers, blogs doesn't apply to reident I don't think, nor ideas) which will also affect the height of the badge.... if you want a static picture that can't change, pad the bottom with white

ETA:

width is only 146px in thread view, 169 in settings view. you'll lose 23px off the right side, so pad that with extra view in case it DOES display somewhere

Qie Niangao wrote:

Is there some reason why some badges have rounded corners and others are square?

And why some have a heavy black box surrounding the whole badge?  (Is that part of the badge, or some attribute of the post?)

badges are using some css magic for the rounding, and yes the heavy black box is part of it, it's actually a background image....

for some reason, the default badge backgrounds (3 of them) aren't being shrunk to fit, like you can with custom images.

for users of firebug you can restore the default badge style (that you can't normally select after you choose a theme) by right clicking beside the toyko them, 'inspect element', open that element to see the hidden input inside it, and changing the value to "tb_none", then hitting save on the page....

I spent some time figuring out the dimensions and how the badge images work. The long story is here: New SL Community Badges.

Nalates_SLCSDims.jpgThe image used in the page is a CSS background image and tiles the area available. A small image repeats until the area is full. So, the dimensions are a minimum to avoid any repeats.

It also means the image fills the area from the top and left to the bottom and right. Clipping will occur at the bottom and right. The image is not resized if one uses Full Size.

The part labeled 'background' in my image is just a part of the image I made. But it appears to be a background behind the name and rank.

Because the image area can change and the corners are rounded, it is nearly impossible to make a border around the image look right.

The bottom gadiant area is only needed if you haven't screwed up and selected a badge style. It lets one make the lower gray text readable. Once you pick a badge style the text goes white and the gadient is not needed.

BayFog and Tokyo Madness are styles for the badge area more than they are images. Once one of these styles is on, there seems to be no way to back it out.

Void Singer wrote:

for users of firebug you can restore the default badge style (that you can't normally select after you choose a theme) by right clicking beside the toyko them, 'inspect element', open that element to see the hidden input inside it, and changing the value to "tb_none", then hitting save on the page....

Thanks for posting this. It took me a few minutes to figure out what to change, but I was able to figure it out, and I've never used firebug before today.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3104 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.