How to create a cool forum avatar \ badge

Suella Ember

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3126 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Suella, great tip.  I had better luck with a badge width of 160 pixels, height 175 - maybe some artifact of the site automatically resizing the pic?

Also, the actual size of the badge seems to me to change based on the options one chooses to display in it, as well as the size of an individual post.

Even if a little odd, the badge is a nice option.  Personally, though, I'd be very willing to trade badge space for a larger, more square avatar pic.

Just testing my first post on these new forums. Great post, thanks Suella!

Thing is, it kinda feels like I'm stumbling around in the dark, haven't a clue what I'm doing as per usual, as I just previewed this post and the pic I uploaded from my computer is totally the wrong dimensions, *sigh*.

I have Gimp, but not had it long, don't really know how to use it, so don't know how to adjust the image in it to get it the right size. Um....Suella? *smiles winsomely*

*waves to Keli and Quinn*

Aarrg!  I read through your post, Suella, and decided that I would NOT have the blue hash marks on my avatar.  :smileyvery-happy:  And there it is!  So...is there a way to delete the avatar image from the badge?  I don't think I need my face on there twice.  LOL!  I guess I need to play with the system some more.

Hey, what a great idea!  I just had to try, and this is my first post on the new format, so I'm crossing fingers that it turns out right. 

ETA: It worked, yay!  And of course, I had to play just a bit to see if it would be possible to get rid of the default avatar so my face wasn't on there twice.  I just made a 100x100 transparent picture in photoshop, saved as a PNG (which saves the transparency of the picture), uploaded it, and chose it as my avatar.  You can see the result over there  <<---.  No double pictures!

Kalynn Carnell wrote:

Hey, what a great idea!  I just had to try, and this is my first post on the new format, so I'm crossing fingers that it turns out right. 

ETA: It worked, yay!  And of course, I had to play just a bit to see if it would be possible to get rid of the default avatar so my face wasn't on there twice.  I just made a 100x100 transparent picture in photoshop, saved as a PNG (which saves the transparency of the picture), uploaded it, and chose it as my avatar.  You can see the result over there  <<---.  No double pictures!

Great idea. I did it with a white square but same idea. :smileyhappy:

You are my hero Suella, I can't wait to play around with this.  But first I am taking new pics... recently invested in a new skin and hair (typical rez day behavior for me - its good to refresh, I think).  Anyway all this info will come in handy when I get my stuff together.

Thanks!

Has anyone been able to find online documentation from the "Customer" (end users .. us) perspective? Docs on how to use the various features, how to configure your profile, what some of the choices mean, etc.? I went to the Lithium website, but they don't provide any end-user documentation. They did offer me an opportunity to log in, but I think that's for THEIR customers and not LL's.

Suella Ember wrote:

3. Ok, now you need to create the image you want for your background. Make your image in a program such as Photoshop or Gimp with dimensions of Width=170pixels and Height=195pixels. These are (roughly) the right dimensions for the badge.

Those dimensions appear tied to which "Stats" you choose to display on your badge. Suella, you only show two of the available four, so the 195 pixel height works for you. But I chose to display all four and the image was too short. I had to increase it to 230 pixels to get it to cover the entire height.

The creativity of SL'ers really makes me :-D Such cool badges!

I've added a couple of updates to my OP to refect Kalynn's great suggestion for creating a completely transparent avatar icon if you want to remove it and just have your badge on display, and to reflect Darius' point that the image size for your badge can vary depending on what elements you have shown on your badge.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3126 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.