How to create a cool forum avatar \ badge

Suella Ember

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3126 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mercedes Avon wrote:

Testing :-)) Anyone know if there is a way to only show your first name instead of the full name? I notice some people look to only have first names (and not just 'resident' peeps).

As far as I am aware, our profile names here are tied to our SL account names, so those of us with 'old style' firstname and lastname will have both shown here. Anyone who just has a single name here must be using a new single name account.

Quinn Morani wrote:

How are people getting the translucent gray boxes with stats that
don't
have the blue hashes on the right side?

I think thats from the 'Tokyo Madness' pre-defined badge Quinn.

Load that badge first, then reapply your chosen background image.

I preferred the 'bayfog' one because it's smaller despite the annoying blue hashes. However, some people have done a clever job of still making their badges look cool even with the larger gray boxes from 'Tokyo Madness'

:)

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this yet, but now that Cerise has put together a style sheet to change the color scheme of the forum (Blue Goo theme for community.secondlife.com), I realized that the background on my badge no longer blended in the way I intended it to because I had inadvertently left a white layer visible that I had meant to make transparent.

I have fixed that on my badge, but now that I'm using Cerise's style sheet I see that quite a few others have cutouts against white backgrounds on their badges. You may want to consider making your backgrounds transparent so your image blends correctly no matter what color scheme is used on the forum. Here's a tutorial for how to do that in Photoshop.

ETA: Before any IE users get too excited, to use Cerise's style sheet you need the Stylish add-on, which is only available for Firefox and Chrome. Hopefully there will eventually be an option for IE too.

Void Singer wrote:

Qie Niangao wrote:

Is there some reason why some badges have rounded corners and others are square?

And why some have a heavy black box surrounding the whole badge?  (Is that part of the badge, or some attribute of the post?)

badges are using some css magic for the rounding, and yes the heavy black box is part of it, it's actually a background image....

for some reason, the default badge backgrounds (3 of them) aren't being shrunk to fit, like you can with custom images.

for users of firebug you can restore the default badge style (that you can't normally select after you choose a theme) by right clicking beside the toyko them, 'inspect element', open that element to see the hidden input inside it, and changing the value to "tb_none", then hitting save on the page....

To explain this for those who don't understand it--as I did not, but now do--"firebug" means Firefox browser. It also works with the Google Chrome browser. Once you have the "inspect element" window/frame open, search within it on "tokyo" (if you have the Tokyo Madness badge selected, as an example). There will be several instances of "tokyo" but only one is the one that you can change. You can identify it by the fact that the line in which it is located begins with "input value".

Now it is simple text editing. In the term you've found, "tb_tokyomadness", change "tb_tokyomadness" to "tb_none". In Google Chrome, I had to left mouseclick on my desired text edit location several times to get it to finally allow text editing there.

Now it is time to Save. The Save button here is the one on the original badge page, not within the inspect element window/frame.  Merely go up (in the case of Google Chrome) to the original badge page and scroll to a point were you can click on the Save button.  Left click Save.  You should get an acknowledgement in a colored band right above the words Badge Settings, and your badge should be back to the original default badge.  In case you've forgotten what it looks like, it has a little rounded white box surrounding your posts, blogs, solutions, etc. and your badge picture will no longer be obscured or shaded.  

You can close the "inspect element" window/frame now.  You're done!

Suella Ember wrote:

My artistic side got the better of me and I have been playing around with the badges \ avatar here on the forums (sorry, but the existing badges are pretty ugly in my opinion!) Here are my findings:

1. Firstly, If you want to create a cool badge, I would advise you not to use one of the existing badges first. If you do use one of them it keeps elements of it making it difficult to subsequently create your own background for the badge! See the middle bar on mine with the blue hashes, for example. I made the mistake of tinkering with the existing badges and now can't remove this! If you haven't already played with the badges and want to create your own jump straight to point number 3. If you have already played with the badges see point number 2 first.

2. If you've already used one of the existing badges under 'My Settings' > 'Social Connect' switch to the 'bayfog' one. This will still keep the bar with the blue hashes (as in mine) but allows you to use a background of your own that will be mostly visible. All the other badges will make any custom background you upload hardly visible. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be a way to completely remove all badge elements once you have used one of the existing ones!

3. Ok, now you need to create the image you want for your background. Make your image in a program such as Photoshop or Gimp with dimensions of Width=170pixels and Height=195pixels. These are (roughly) the right dimensions for the badge.

4. Note that you will need to be very careful with the tone and lighting on your image. This is made all the more complicated by the fact that the name on the badge is black text and the other writing is white text. So you need to consider how this is going to contrast with various areas of the background image. You also need to consider how any of the writing might overlap parts of the image. For example, I had to do a lot of tweaking with the position of my photo on the background image to prevent the end of my name being hard to read against the darker purple of my sweater!

5. Once you think you have your image how you want it save it to your computer and then go to 'my Settings' > 'Social Connect'. Tick the box that says 'Display your profile badge on your posts. Now click the 'Browse' button. Click the 'Browse' button again on the next window to upload an image 'From my computer'. Select the image you created and upload it. Keep the 'Image Size' as 'Full Size'. Now click the 'Insert Image' button.

6. You can get a rough idea of how the badge will look from the preview on the right of the 'Social Connect' page. However, note that the dimensions shown here do not quite match those of the dimensions on the actual forum posts. If you are happy click the 'Save Chages' button. Now go to one of your posts in the forums to see how it looks. If there are problems with the positioning etc, you may have to go and make amendments to your image and upload it again.

7. If you do make amendements you might want to delete the old version(s) to keep things tidy. You can delete any of your uploaded images by going to your profile (click your name on the balck bar top right). Now click where it says 'View images for [your name]' on the right. Turn on batch processing from the dropdown next to where it says 'Image Options'. Now put a tick next to any image(s) you want to delete. Hover over 'Image Options' again and choose 'delete all checked images'.

Hopefully, with a bit of playing around you'll be able to get yourself a cool badge / avatar. Note that you could even do some clever things to get the mini avatar image to blend in with the actual background badge (which I might have a play with tomorrow). For info, the mini avatar icon is controlled from 'My Settings' > 'Avatars' where you can use an existing icon or one you have uploaded yourself.

Here is the actual raw image I used for my badge to give you an idea of the positioning, shading etc I used:
Forum Profile Badge copy.png
Good luck!

UPDATE: Thanks to Kalynn Carnell who has identified that you can completely remove your avatar icon from the top left and just have your badge on display if you wish. To do this simply create a 100x100 sized transparent image and save it as a .PNG file. Then upload it and use it as your avatar icon. The only minor downside in doing this is that it means you won't have an icon at all on your profile page for the forums here: 

UPDATE 2: The size of your badge can also be affected by what elements you have showing on it (you can select what to show from the 'Social Connect' stiings tab. In particular, note that if you have 'solutions' showing it means your badge will be slightly larger in the Answers section rather than the general forums, as 'Solutions' is not displayed in the general forums but is in Answers! The best way to combat this is to probably make your badge slightly larger on the height dimension. It should then look correct in answers but you need to bear in mind that a small area will be cut off the bottom in the general forums.

UPDATE3: Thanks to ab Vanmoer who has also pointed out that differnt browsers and OS's may cause the badge to be clipped or tiled differntly which can change the size of th badge. I guess there is not much we ourselves can do about this, it just means that our badges may look right for us on our preferred browser but might look slightly differently for people on other browsers. You could always test on various browsers if you want to get it as perfect as possible
:)
See example below:

BadBadges.png

Suella!  Thank you so much for the great help provided in the post.  You are swell!  And you've earned a very nice block of aged Manchego!!  Hope you like!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3126 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.