REDZONE IS DYING? Merchants Running RZ - Remove or else (from LL)

Toysoldier Thor

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4554 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Great news!

Today LL officially announced that Redzone is still in violation of TOS and all aspects of RZ must cease and be removed or the user of RZ is in violation and can face ARs.  This is from Soft Linden in JIRA.

AWESOME LL!  You done good!

Soft Linden commented on VWR-24746:
-----------------------------------

Hey, all. I got the go-ahead to give an update on zF Red Zone specifically. Again, thank you for the ARs with specific info about violations. These have been very helpful for letting Lindens know what's going on.

Tuesday morning, we removed zF Red Zone from the Marketplace for a second time. We removed the in-world vendor distributing the item as well. We determined that zF Red Zone was still in violation of our Terms of Service and Community Standards.

We asked for removal by no later than today of all zF Red Zone functionality that discloses any alternate account names. That is, even if consent is asked, the service may not act on the consent. In addition, we asked for removal by no later than Friday of the interface for and any remaining implementation of the zF Red Zone consent mechanism because it does not comply with our policies. If these updates are not made, we will take appropriate steps to remedy the violations.

As before, we appreciate your help in keeping an eye on content. If you find that any merchant's product is not in compliance with our TOS or our Community Standards, please file an abuse report about the product. Do this even if you filed against a previous version. Include a specific explanation of what you believe is a violation, and ideally select and report the in-world object at issue in case it behaves differently than what's in the Marketplace. Before reporting, make sure you have first-hand knowledge of the issue. Support can best react if you explain specific steps to reproduce or confirm a violation.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that although users of the RZ service are officially in viollation - we all still need the 3PVs and LL Viewer to backup the policy now with policing.  The security weakness needs to be closed - Phoenix is close to doing that.  Without policing - there will still be the sneaky underground Merchants and club owners that will try to use this.  If they get caught they risk losing their business activity and I suspect the GreenZoners will be vigilant to expose these continued violators.

BUT... I will give my rare KUDOS to LL for actually listening to the SL Community and shutting this down.  Good job to all those that championed and lobbied the cause to shut down this privacy violating service.

Good question, I think the comments, blog posts and tweets also helped with this one, however the number of votes very likely did factor in.

I have no idea what I'm going to follow on Twitter now if this dies down, heck I might have to follow Charlie Sheen!

No.

And note that Oz Linden's threats that people who kept reopening this JIRA when it was closed  would lose their JIRA privileges were in the end -- empty. People persisted past those threats to keep voting and reopening and affirming and in the end the Lindens were persuaded.

I'm only posting here to see how my avatar looks. I'd post over in General Discussion, but there is no GD forum (it also seems that none of it has been archived). So I'm going to post random nonsense in random threads until I've figured out how to make my incredibly tiny avatar look good :womanmad: (random weird smiley)

Ishtara Rothschild wrote:

I'm only posting here to see how my avatar looks. I'd post over in General Discussion, but there is no GD forum (it also seems that none of it has been archived). So I'm going to post random nonsense in random threads until I've figured out how to make my incredibly tiny avatar look good :womanmad: (random weird smiley)

Looks like there is a bit of a battle between the "Your Avatar" "Make Friends" and "Entertainment" sections to become the new GD. As long as their stay out of Commerce and Content Creation then i'll be happy.

It seems that the maximum avatar size is 63 x 36. Bit on the tiny side, but at least I don't have to cut off my elf ears. Carry on with the Redzone paranoia :) 

ETA: Holy #µ€{?*& line spacing. I think it's best to refrain from using smilies until LL have worked out that glitch, which should only take a few months as I know them. Of course that won't exactly make this forum a friendlier place.

Porky,

I dont think the VOTE COUNT was the primary factor as LL has already stated that the VOTES (and even the VIEWS) can be harvested/promoted by those that want to see this count go up.  The primary factors that actually got LL to do the rare thing and actually finally take decisive actions on RZ were multi-pronged:

• One of the longest COMMENTED jira's in Jira history (likely due in big part that during this massive escalation of RZ, the SL forums were locked in Read Only mode.
  • The Vote and View counts on the Jira
  • The strong and highly visible and never-ending barrage of angry and frustrated SL residents in the countless SL Resident related blogs - exposing all the evils of RZ, its Creator's counter-responses & threats he would take if shut down, and the countless examples of how RZ Users were abusing the RZ service by banning innocent SL residents.
  • The strong and well organized lobbying efforts of several ppl like Ann, Mickey, Ciaran, myself, and countless others that were twitter Rodvik and other Sr. Lindens as to how embarassing RZ was to LL.
  • The quiet direct lobbying of i am sure several of us to key Lindens
  • And finally, LL realization that SL Privacy concerns and RZ were creating SL in a virtual world entering a cival war.  The anger was going viral and LL had no choice to stop this.  Specially in light of Rodvik's interview statement that protecting the SL Resident's identity and right to anonymity was critical to the success of SL.  (I made sure Rod saw that ironic situation in twitter several time).

So... the Jira Vote was only a small factor in the success to get LL to make a decisive move to formally shut down Redzone. 

But as was already said, there will likely be a lot of loyal/frustrated Merchants and Club Owners and Land Owners that spent good money for a product that is now LL Legally dead.  Many of them also strongly believe that this was a way to effectively stop CopyBotting.  That might have been initially true when RZ secretly lurked in obscurity as SL land owners were secretly scanning their customers and guests, but with RZ exposed, most smart copybotters and griefers already knew how to protect themselves.

There is still a very strong Merchant Issue that needs to be addressed and that was the root cause to the explosive growth of REDZONE - that LL has not taken any effective actions to stop copybotting / content theft, and LL has not provided leigt tools to protect Merchant creations from theft.

THIS STILL IS MAJOR ISSUE THAT LL CONTINUES TO FAIL ON.

But... violating the privacy of the SL community was / is not the solution.

Porky Gorky wrote: Yes. Once the vote is removed I can see people re-submitting allot more JIRA's in order to emphasize their passion about certain issues. Remove peoples ability to vote and they will make their views known in more extreme ways. 

-----------------

You still have the option to 'Watch' a JIRA and that seems a better way of showing commitment to a JIRA.

I personally dont see that Votes being removed is a big deal.  Votes/Views... whatever.  I think the views combined with the about of comments will moreso drive a Linden to look at the issue.

I think VOTES were the more important of the two to click on... but in the grand scheme of things to convince LL to change their mind on - this is not a big issue.

Now.... if we can somehow  get Brooke to actually pay one second of time on thinking about fixing SLM Traffic/Sales reports.... I will hold the flag standard into battle.

I agree that it doesn't matter whether it's votes or views. But I think this success was more down to residents riding this thing hard, ARing and sending screenshots and generally staying on top of it like crazy, and I'm proud. *sniffs*

Now...last time I posted, I didn't see my badge background. Why? *pokes it*

It's about time that LL does something against these spyware tools.

As I said in another forum:

I have never used - and will never use - RedZone, CDS, or any other spyware thingy on my land. Or on land of any alt of mine.
I have my own private rl reasons from the past to be completely against such STASI tools.
I don't support them, and I don't support anyone who uses them, by spending my time and L$ on their land.

I respect the privacy of anyone I meet and anyone who comes to my land.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4554 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.